August 2009 Desktops

He MIGHT be using Glass2k, research it on google

Nah, it's some Stylish script for Firefox. Not sure which exactly, but it turns all of Firefox transparent with a separate script to make Google's background clear also.

Looks cool at first. Got damn annoying for me in the end :p

Nice!

Few things:

1. right wallpaper?

2. firefox theme?

3. digsby theme?

The right wall is from Desktopography 2009, I believe. Just Google it to find the site. As for Digsby, it's the 7 (as in Windows 7--apparently it looks fantastic on 7), I forget who made it. I found it on dA but it's probably up on Digsbies too.

The Fx theme is the 'mockup' of the next version of Firefox. 3.6, I think? Also from dA.

Used to be these threads contained really amazing desktops. For the past few months though, it seems the community has lost all inspiration and is no longer into creative desktops. Every time I see that little round windows orb in the bottom left I die a little inside.

What happened guys? Since when did customization fall back to "get wallpaper, see if windows theme matches wallpaper, use transparency"?

:cry:

True, the implicit idea behind this tread used to be that the desktops that were shown were highly customized. However since Vista and W7 that idea is gone, even though there is such a thing as windowblinds. I used to love this tread and got inspired by it. Now it has evolved in simply showing your desktop. In rare cases there are people that use some creativity but most of the time you get to see a standard desktop. How the times have changed.

Maybe a 'show your customized desktop' tread would be a good idea. Otoh, there used to be a tread for showing off your minimal desktop but that was ruined by people who started debating what or what not a minimal desktop was. This was triggered by some who posted desktops in that tread that were by no means 'minimal'.

We may miss the old days but things have changed. People want to show of their desktop and why not? I understand the fun of it while still missing the creativity of the old days.

It's because there aren't that many great skins out for Vista/7. For the latter not any yet. And besides, the default themes are pretty nice already if you ask me. Also, most known visual style artists (bant, b0se and such) stopped making visual styles. KoL has a busy life with other stuff as well so seeing a new visual style from him is rare. He's still doing his wallpapers though, so he's not completely out of the picture.

It's because there aren't that many great skins out for Vista/7. For the latter not any yet. And besides, the default themes are pretty nice already if you ask me.

Agreed. I used to do a lot of theme modifications on XP, but as Vista and 7 came along, it started becoming just changing the wallpaper.

Agreed. I used to do a lot of theme modifications on XP, but as Vista and 7 came along, it started becoming just changing the wallpaper.

thats so true, i think for vista there was only one skins i could find that i liked!

my new windows 7 rtm desktop, im now the proud full license owner of it and i love it! :woot:

how'd you get the vista theme?