[winxp] GUIDE: Making your windows folder smaller!

Congrats Bold and others. Great job.

You have taken a LOT of the mystery out of XP.

+++++++++++++++++++++

I found this just minutes ago. Too bad I hadn't found this weeks ago for you.

Check this FREE APP out. It deletes and Moves.

=====================

A Clean It Plug-In allows developers to expand the cleaning capabilities of Clean It by placing the code for each of the area elements in a separate module. This allows the developer to create a general, all purpose plug-in for public distribution, or a specific, custom made plug-in for in-house operations. A plug-in can be used not only to delete files, but it can be used to copy, or move them as well - the developer has full control. The plug-in operates independent from Clean It so there are no limitations on what it can do. It can be used to clean, or adjust mistakes in the system's registry in combination of removing dead files. Plus, a plug-in can be developed to allow the user to customize the settings, view the content, and credit is provided via the about box where the developer can also promote their web site. The possibilities are endless...

To build a Clean It Plug-In you will need to download a copy of the Clean It Plug-In SDK (54.6 KB) that contains everything you need to get started. It includes is a sample plug-in complete with source and a final binary copy. A detailed help file is also included to help you along the way. Complete instructions are included and with Clean It's auto import all you have to do is build it, zip it, and ship it. Yes! It's that easy and any one with a C++ compiler can build a Clean It Plug-In in less than an hour. Download the Clean It Plug-In SDK and check it out for yourself.

http://www.skylarkutilities.com/download/clnpisdk.zip

==========================

Looks like it could make your work easier.

A poser - earlier you coded for XP in D:\ .

Is that still viable or only in C:\ ?

I recently started using Acronis Image for re-installing.

You do re-install with an image don't you?

:D Cudos for your work.:D

ZAQ

To Mr. Bold,

Excellent work. I have been interested in this subject for a while and I'm glad I came across this thread. To stop the ill-informed you could preface each of your batch files in this way:

@echo off

echo Now here is an updated system32 bat file. This file is going to move 700 individual files from a fresh install of XP out of system32 and place them in a backup folder it creates on C:\ ...named simply, "backup".Within the backup folder will be a subfolder named "WINDOWS". Within that folder will be another subfolder named "system32"...where you will see the files that have been moved.This was done this way so you would always know the exact path where they come from should you decide to return any of the files to their original location.

pause press any key to continue

All this does is force the user to read your warning and confirm his intentions by pressing a key.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks a great idea, El_KaBong.

I can't tell you how good it makes me feel to hear you all saying "Thanks" and "Good Job, Bold."

I've fought off so many naysayers over the past two years, people coming out of the woodwork, or so it would seem, knocking my work as useless, and a senseless undertaking, and then always saying something to slight me.

But when I hear just those couple of words of gratitude, it makes it all worth while.

Now here's a surprise for you all:

I just complete the cmd files for the "Documents and Settings Folders", and "Program Files Folders" I remove.

With these like the "WINDOWS and system32 Folders" cmd file on the previous page, the folders removed by it will be backed up on C:\ with very smart subfolders placement, identically matching the original placement of the folders.

I wanted them this way so that you would know exactly where any folder, or file it contains, came from. That way if you would like to replace something at sometime, you'll know exactly where to replace it to. All systems are configured differently for different uses. So somethings I remove, you may choose otherwise.

I'll attach the "Program Files Folders" cmd file here, and then the "Documents and Settings Folders" on the following post.

Enjoy.

Now all we need is someone to write the script files for all the individual files outside of system32 I remove, and we'll have the very best XPLite around.

....Only our version will be called "XPSlim: The Way That Other Program Should Have Been"

Just a couple of things...

1. You should NOT delete %SystemRoot%\Inf; this directory contains not only files that are necessary for driver installations but also files for program installations that use the old inf file installation (such as MSN Messenger 4 and below and Ms Powertoys), and files required for Windows Components Setup (Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components). If you delete this directory, you will be prompted for a CD for driver installations, will not be able to uninstall programs you've installed that use the old inf file installation, and the list of components in Windows Components Setup will be completely blank!! However, it IS safe to delete *.pnf and *.bak in that directory, as well as any directories containing the word 'tour' that you might find in there (tours for Windows XP and WMP).

2. NEVER remove any application by simply deleting its program directory (usually in C:\Program Files)!! There's a lot more to an application that just the files in Program Files; there could be registry entries, shortcuts, files in other directories (such as %UserProfile%\Application Data or %SystemRoot%). You should always UNINSTALL a program to remove it, either with an uninstall shortcut on the Start Menu, or in Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs. In the case of MSN Explorer and NetMeeting (as well as other Windows components), these can be removed using Windows Components Setup (Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components). If after uninstallation, the program directory still remains (usually in Program Files), it should then be safe to delete.

You might also want to try out a little program that I wrote called CleanUp, which clears out unneeded files and registry entries (Evidence Cleanup section). You can get it from http://djtsoft.dyndns.org/software.php?page=cleanup (site not online 24 hours). Note: the .NET Framework 1.1 is required.

djtaylor

Just a couple of things...

1. I'm sure you're a very bright fellow, djtaylor. I don't mean to be rude. It just this only-I-know-everything-about-Windows attitude of yours kind of bugs me a little.

Maybe if next time you start a post that tears down a project like this...a project that has been going on for a very long time...and contributed to by some very bright people...people who, like yourself, also know what they are doing...you could loose a little of that arrogance of yours, and start your post with, "I could be wrong, but..."

2. I'm sure you're a very bright fellow, djtaylor. I don't mean to be rude. It just this only-I-know-everything-about-Windows attitude of yours kind of bugs me a little.

Maybe if next time you start a post that tears down a project like this...a project that has been going on for a very long time...and contributed to by some very bright people...people who, like yourself, also know what they are doing...you could loose a little of that arrogance of yours, and start your post with, "I could be wrong, but..."

Oh. Who said anything about deleting the inf folder? Did you read this part? Here, I'll put it up in case you hadn't:

C:\WINDOWS\inf

I deleted all .PNF files in this folder.

(PNF files, are cache-type files that will be re-created when and if their corresponding .inf file is called upon.

Per relder: It's a "pre-compiled" version of the ASCII .INF file that gets created when the Setup first processes a particular .INF file. It's done to speed up searches of the .INF files (as you've noticed there are LOTS of those on the system in Windows 2000/XP); if the dates of the .INF and .PNF files compare favorably (.PNF is later than .INF) the corresponding .PNF file will be used (if present).

If, and only after you give it some time, (say 30 days), a corresponding .PNF file is not re-created alongside the .INF file, it most-likely means you aren't using the .INF file. I go ahead and delete them. (What I do sometimes instead of waiting, is run through every application on my system and then delete (or save) all the .INF files that haven't created a corresponding .PNF file beside it.)

However, in the meanwhile, and I picked this tip up from NeoMayhem, who like me, is also is also into trimming down his XP installation: "Do a search for mdm*.* and delete everything that comes up. These are all modem drivers, and it is very unlikely you will ever need them because you either have a modem installed already, or if you do add one, it will come with newer drivers." I also delete the "mdminst.dll" (Modem Class Installer) from the system32 folder. It'll also come up with the search.

Also in the inf folder, I delete these three files:

INFCACHE.1

wuau.adm

unregmp2.exe...Windows Media Player Setup Utility

I wasn't being arrogant!! I was simply warning people (esp newbies) that it's NOT safe to delete the directories I mentioned so that they don't come back with "I've done what you told me to do and now something doesn't work properly", and I never said I knew everything! And I didn't tear the project down! I didn't say there was anything wrong with the rest of it, did I?? I wasn't replying to your posts; I was replying to the first post, where NeoMayhem says not to delete the inf directory itself, just everything inside. And I know what pnf files are, thanks.

well i dunno wot Bold_Fortunes problem is with djtaylors post is, seems djtaylor put forward some very good arguments to the original post for this thread, in which case HELPING this worthwhile and long running project.

all i can say is thanks djtaylor for the extra info in decyphering windows, and Bold_Fortune try not to b so harsh on people posting especially when its obvious he was being helpful and not being arrogant

just my 2p :rolleyes:

Just ignore him djtaylor. Bold Fortune spent 2 years looking for random files to delete. Any sane person wouldn't do this. Most of the files bold deletes don't free up space. Deleting the .pnf files in the inf folder will only free up 100k, and the .pnf's are automatically rebuilt everytime the inf is used, so over the long run you won't save any space at all.

-gosh

You're right, elliot76. I misinterpreted what djtaylor was saying. I messed up. Thanks for straightening me out. I'll try not to do that again.

My sincere apologies, djtaylor. I see now you were trying to help folks out.

would my net connection die if i stopped these services and deleted these drivers:

Remote Access Auto Connection Driver

Remote Access IP ARP Driver

Remote Access NDIS TAPI Driver

rasacd.sys

rasl2tp.sys

raspppoe.sys

raspptp.sys

raspti.sys

RanCorX2, I usually check inside the Layout.ini file within the Prefetch folder. If I see a Driver, DLL, EXE, Font, NLS, or any other file listed there, I take particular caution when testing them for removal from my system.

Although some you can remove quite safely, nine out of ten times, is the case for me, when I delete something listed in the Layout.ini file, I can't reboot or restart Windows.

You just kind of have to be prepared for that happening if you play with the files listed there.

On the other hand, if you remove a bunch of files from your system...but you never remove any file listed in the Layout.ini file...you'll always be able to at least reboot your system...but that doesn't neccessarily mean that nothing will be wrong once you do.

Edited by Bold_Fortune

i've tested above 4 files: u can safely use 3 .cmd files but DON'T touch the .bat file unless u know exactly what u r doing (keep a backup of ur system be4 trying anything)!

I took on the dreaded WinSxS folder...with surprising success.

This folder has always vexed me. I had brought up the Layout.ini file on a prior post above, and I decided to see if it could help me out with what SHOULD NOT be removed from the WinSxS folder...and it did! I'm so confident that everything I removed was safe to delete, that I've already backed up my image with these deletions.

If you are going to try this, PLEASE check YOUR Layout.ini file, just in case it shows something different than mine.

First, I deleted all ".cat" files from these folders:

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\Manifests

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\Policies

I deleted all ".cat" files within this folder's subfolders.

Then I deleted every folder NOT LISTED in my Layout.ini file. These are what are listed for me in my Layout.ini file, so I only kept these, and deleted all the rest...again, yours could show something different, so double check:

C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS\MANIFESTS\X86_MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.SYSTEMCOMPATIBLE_6595B64144CCF1DF_5.1.0.0_X-WW_FC342B0B.MANIFEST

C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS\MANIFESTS\X86_MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.COMMON-CONTROLS_6595B64144CCF1DF_6.0.10.0_X-WW_F7FB5805.MANIFEST

C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS\MANIFESTS\X86_MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.GDIPLUS_6595B64144CCF1DF_1.0.10.0_X-WW_712BEFD8.MANIFEST

C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS\POLICIES\X86_POLICY.1.0.MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.GDIPLUS_6595B64144CCF1DF_X-WW_4E8510AC\

C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS\POLICIES\X86_POLICY.6.0.MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.COMMON-CONTROLS_6595B64144CCF1DF_X-WW_5DDAD775\

C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS\POLICIES\X86_POLICY.6.0.MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.COMMON-CONTROLS_6595B64144CCF1DF_X-WW_5DDAD775\6.0.10.0.POLICY

C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS\POLICIES\X86_POLICY.1.0.MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.GDIPLUS_6595B64144CCF1DF_X-WW_4E8510AC\1.0.10.0.POLICY

C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS\X86_MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.COMMON-CONTROLS_6595B64144CCF1DF_6.0.10.0_X-WW_F7FB5805\

C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS\X86_MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.COMMON-CONTROLS_6595B64144CCF1DF_6.0.10.0_X-WW_F7FB5805\COMCTL32.DLL

bachikho, I'm not sure what you mean by being unable to remove programs from your Control Panel. Do you mean the Add/Remove Programs Utility? Or do you mean your Disk Cleanup Utility?

The Disk Cleanup Utility won't open if you delete the wrong .inf files in C:\WINDOWS\inf.

The Add/Remove Utility would associate the removal of programs using the .msi files in C:\WINDOWS\Installer, or even the files C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information. Also, if you removed the uninstall.log, or install.log to a program the program could then become uninstallable.

I never mentioned removing any of these files.

Also, I don't know if this will work with 2k. I'm using XP.

i have disabled prefetching as i don't notice a difference on my system and theres no layout file in the prefetch folder

i don't use PPPoE either. so i guess its safe to mess with stuff now ;)

For Jan.

Jan, I've been running without these Fonts for about a week now with no noticeable difference. So I guess you can include them in the list I gave you:

cour.ttf

courbi.ttf

couri.ttf

l_10646.ttf

timesbi.ttf

timesi.ttf

These are the only Fonts I have now in the Fonts Folder:

arial.ttf

arialbd.ttf

arialbi.ttf

ariali.ttf

cga40woa.fon

cga80woa.fon

courbd.ttf

coure.fon

dosapp.fon

ega40woa.fon

ega80woa.fon

lucon.ttf

marlett.ttf

micross.ttf

modern.fon

roman.fon

serife.fon

smalle.fon

sserife.fon

symbole.fon

tahoma.ttf

tahomabd.ttf

times.ttf

timesbd.ttf

verdana.ttf

verdanab.ttf

verdanai.ttf

verdanaz.ttf

vgafix.fon

vgaoem.fon

vgasys.fon

31 file(s)

bachikho, I'm not sure what you mean by being unable to remove programs from your Control Panel. Do you mean the Add/Remove Programs Utility? Or do you mean your Disk Cleanup Utility?

The Disk Cleanup Utility won't open if you delete the wrong .inf files in C:\WINDOWS\inf.

The Add/Remove Utility would associate the removal of programs using the .msi files in C:\WINDOWS\Installer, or even the files C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information. Also, if you removed the uninstall.log, or install.log to a program the program could then become uninstallable.

I never mentioned removing any of these files.

Also, I don't know if this will work with 2k. I'm using XP.

i can't remove progs if using Add/Remove Programs Utility

bachikho, I guess it just goes to show that not all systems are the same. I don't have a problem with Add/Remove.

I don't know what to tell you.

Try putting back the system32 files you backed up and see if it restores Add/Remove's function. That's all I can think of.

I have a feeling, though, that it's cause is from something else, because I don't know of any file I remove that would cause that...again, at least not for me.

Hey, Bold_Fortune, may be with some work we could make our Own NeoWin Xplite..........

Since i guess you have done all the hard work already. It is only just a matter of a program that allow user to choose and tick stuff they want to remove............

OH! Why not add remove Outlook express and Modem Driver in Autopatcher??

Hey, Bold_Fortune, may be with some work we could make our Own NeoWin Xplite..........

Since i guess you have done all the hard work already. It is only just a matter of a program that allow user to choose and tick stuff they want to remove............

iwod, there'd be a real problem with that. Reason being, the files and folders I remove from my system work for me. What I put up here can only be used by other XP users...at best...as a guide to help point out the "possibilities" of what could be removed from an XP installation.

If someone did write "NeoWin Lite" based on the files and folders I remove, the disclaimer would have to read...

"If your system is not setup "exactly" like Bold_Fortune's, chances are you are going to experience some problems when removing some of these files and folders."

That's the reason I made sure my bat and cmd files backup the files and folders they remove. I did that for those who will try some of this out, because some of them will undoubtedly need something I don't, and will want to replace it.

I'm pretty much at the end. It was a fun project for me, and I was happy that I could share my work with people who are interested. Mostly, because I knew there were lots of other people like me who really did want to know what could be removed from XP. Not many people ever gave me much of an intelligent answer when I asked, so I was determined to find my own answers, and share them with others.

Good Luck, buddy.