[winxp] GUIDE: Making your windows folder smaller!

Jaded_Goth, I don't think it's you. Their server must have went down, or fouled up, because I noticed a few days posts were lost. I had to re-register to get in.

This e-guide is one of the best and most useful out there, after installing sp2 I freed up ~800MB of files with the help of this thingy, ver nice imo :p

This e-guide is one of the best and most useful out there, after installing sp2 I freed up ~800MB of files with the help of this thingy, ver nice imo :p

Stalk3r, I'm glad you're happy. I would just like to comment on your statement if I may, because you brought up a point of contention that has plagued me for years.

When you say "I freed up 800MB of files", I know you're happy, and you know you're happy about that. However, that isn't really the point to deleting files...unless you really really need the space.

When people come on this thread and say like you said that they freed up so much space, they are delivering themselves up to the naysayers of file deleting, who will invariably respond with, "With the price of hard drives being what it is today, why should anyone need 800MB of space?"

Well, probably nobody does.

But what they have always failed to see, is that it never really was about gaining space on a hard drive.

The REAL point, and this is what antagonists to file deleting have always failed to see, the REAL point is just...because you can.

@Bold_Fortune: for me itz more than 'because i can'. this thread has speeded my system...no, not really in a realtime/runtime sense, but, with far less unneeded files on my HDD it now takes way less time to image my partition, to search for a file/s, [possibly] to create a system restore point, to do a defrag... and so on. so i guess everyone has there own reasons ?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I m reading this guide for the first time, I removed much from my windows but windows file protection always used to copy the files back.

I have a problem, I have nvidia FX5900XT, now when new drivers come I remove the old drivers from ADD/Remove programs, & it says me to boot, after reboot, it

installs VGA Compatible drivers for my gfx card because of which I can see anything on my screen, then it asks me to install the new drivers & I give the path to install new drivers, if I remove all the files in this folder, I guess Windows won't installC:windows=\inf the VGA Compatible drivers & I won't be able to see anything & install drivers at all, is this true or can I remove it, as GFX drivers are the only one I update regularly, rest of them all are not updated that fast

good job Bold

:D

When TwoZigzagColt45 says good job Bold, it's pretty flattering coming from someone like him that knows computers.

HOW THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN, BUDDY? It's been a very long time. Where you hanging out these days?

It was good to see your name up here.

Post back and let me know what's been going on?

You bring the beer. I'll bring the babes.

When TwoZigzagColt45 says good job Bold, it's pretty flattering coming from someone like him that knows computers.

HOW THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN, BUDDY? It's been a very long time. Where you hanging out these days?

It was good to see your name up here.

Post back and let me know what's been going on?

You bring the beer. I'll bring the babes.

Its a few pages back lol but still a gr8 guide! :D but Bold_Fortune what on earth was that about :s

Huh?

Lol nevermind. Anyway i did what the guide said and it worked, but i keep getting a silly WFP Message saying i need to insert my Windows XP SP2 Home Edition CD, has anyone else had this and am i safe to ignore the message? Thanks.

Yes, you can ignore it. Or, you can disable Windows File Protection.

You can disable it simplest by downloading the Trial Version of LiteXP....

Look at the top right of this page. "Download Preview".

Can we delete all these files after installing SP2 too? Because it was mentioned that :

This has been tested on Windows XP Pro Final and SP1 (Not home, but it should work fine) Windows 2003 Enterprise Server 3700, RTM, and The Free Evaluation version (Any 2k3 version should work fine), and Windows 2000 Pro.

HAs anybody deleted those files after installing SP2?

Can we delete all these files after installing SP2 too? Because it was mentioned that :

This has been tested on Windows XP Pro Final and SP1 (Not home, but it should work fine) Windows 2003 Enterprise Server 3700, RTM, and The Free Evaluation version (Any 2k3 version should work fine), and Windows 2000 Pro.

HAs anybody deleted those files after installing SP2?

Yeh i did and it seems alrite so far *begs* :happy:

Your right, McGazza, there wouldn't really be any difference in the files you would be removing from SP2. You'd, at most, only be removing updated versions by the same file name.

SP2, actually adds 88 new files to the system32 directory. The others are simply updated versions...or, probably more precise, "more recently dated files" . More likely than not we already have those same file version updates installed from downloading the Windows Critcal Updates.

good point

lol i guess but it still works with SP2 also which is good lol, my windows folder isnt that smaller but it was a good idea to make it smaller, at least it saves some space :)