[winxp] GUIDE: Making your windows folder smaller!

The subject of inf files in C:\WINDOWS\inf comes up sometimes a lot.

I normally tell people this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\WINDOWS\inf

I deleted all .PNF files in this folder.

(PNF files, are cache-type files that will be re-created when and if their corresponding .inf file is called upon.

Per Rob Relder: It's a "pre-compiled" version of the ASCII .INF file that gets created when the Setup first processes a particular .INF file. It's done to speed up searches of the .INF files (as you've noticed there are LOTS

of those on the system in Windows 2000/XP); if the dates of the .INF and .PNF files compare favorably (.PNF is later than .INF) the corresponding .PNF file will be used (if present).

If, and only after you give it some time, (say 30 days), a corresponding .PNF file is not re-created alongside the .INF file, it most-likely means you aren't using the .INF file. I go ahead and delete them. (What I do

sometimes instead of waiting, is run through every application on my system and then delete (or save) all the .INF files that haven't created a corresponding .PNF file beside it.)

However, in the meanwhile, and I picked this tip up from NeoMayhem, who like me, is also is also into trimming down his XP installation: "Do a search for mdm*.* and delete everything that comes up. These are all modem drivers, and it is very unlikely you will ever need them because you either have a modem installed already, or if you do add one, it will come with newer drivers." I also delete the "mdminst.dll" (Modem Class Installer) from the system32 folder. It'll also come up with the search.

Also in the inf folder, I delete these three files:

INFCACHE.1

wuau.adm

unregmp2.exe...Windows Media Player Setup Utility

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

But today I'm going to tell you the inf files I personally keep, and let you be the judge if you want to try to this out.

To be able to access the Windows Optional Compontents Wizard, Windows needs 35 different inf files.

I compiled a list of these inf files needed to access the Windows Optional Compontents Wizard:

accessor.inf

au.inf

communic.inf

comnt5.inf

dtcnt5.inf

fp40ext.inf

fxsocm.inf

games.inf

ieaccess.inf

igames.inf

iis.inf

ims.inf

layout.inf

msmsgs.inf

msnmsn.inf

multimed.inf

netbeac.inf

netiprip.inf

netlpd.inf

netoc.inf

netsnmp.inf

nettpsmp.inf

netupnp.inf

oeaccess.inf

optional.inf

pinball.inf

rootau.inf

setupqry.inf

sysoc.inf

tsoc.inf

wbemoc.inf

wbemsnmp.inf

wmaccess.inf

wmpocm.inf

wordpad.inf

35 file(s)

Personally, I only keep the above 35 inf files and 30 other inf files in C:\WINDOWS\inf.

I've found that Windows Update sometimes touches upon about 29 different inf files when some Critical Updates are installed.

In addition, I keep the Fonts.inf

Here's the complete list of inf files I keep:

accessor.inf

acpi.inf

au.inf

cdrom.inf

certclas.inf

communic.inf

comnt5.inf

cpu.inf

disk.inf

drvindex.inf

dtcnt5.inf

fdc.inf

flpydisk.inf

font.inf

fp40ext.inf

fxsocm.inf

gameport.inf

games.inf

hal.inf

ieaccess.inf

igames.inf

iis.inf

ims.inf

intl.inf

keyboard.inf

ks.inf

ksfilter.inf

layout.inf

machine.inf

modemcsa.inf

monitor3.inf

mshdc.inf

msmouse.inf

msmsgs.inf

msnmsn.inf

msports.inf

multimed.inf

netbeac.inf

netel90b.inf

netiprip.inf

netlpd.inf

netoc.inf

netrasa.inf

netsnmp.inf

nettpsmp.inf

netupnp.inf

nv4_disp.inf

oeaccess.inf

optional.inf

pinball.inf

pnpscsi.inf

rootau.inf

setupqry.inf

sysoc.inf

tsoc.inf

usbport.inf

volume.inf

wave.inf

wbemoc.inf

wbemsnmp.inf

wdma10k1.inf

wdmaudio.inf

wmaccess.inf

wmpocm.inf

wordpad.inf

65 file(s)

For those of you following along, I've been doing a little work on my system32 batch file. I was getting a couple of nuisance errors when I double clicked on a couple of my hardware devices to see their properties. The properties still worked...I just dislike little errors. I needed four files in system32 for this (two for each hardware device error).

I also put back in a couple of other files, I removed some others, too, which I did not stop to catalog why...but it was for some good reason.

This system32 batch file seems to work best for me...again, FOR ME.

Some of you keep asking me for updates to my file removing "thing", so with the usual warnings and precautions, I'll attach my latest...and, if I may be so Bold to say...my greatest system32 batch file yet.

Oh, this batch file will backup the files it removes from the system32 folder to a backup folder simply named "backup" on C:\ ...in case you want to put the files back.

And something kind of cool. gameguy got me into the importance of unregistering DLLS when removing them...because some registry cleaners don't cleanup all their entries. So, I found this little application that simple puts "register dll" and "unregister dll" into the context menu when you right-click on a DLL.

If you group all the DLLS together in the backup folder after you've moved them there with the batch file, by sorting them by type, you can highlight them all, and in one click, unregister them all.

http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone16/cat633/22092.htm

Edited by Bold_Fortune

Even though I don't delete a lot of what's posted in this thread, I figure I'll give you guys a link you might like... :ninja: The following site contains information on every single file that ever shipped in a Microsoft product. You can search by product name (Windows, .NET Framework, etc) or by filename. You guys might like to use this to sift through all the files Windows includes...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...ion/dllinfo.asp

I'm only posting this because I want to see an increase in the knowledge of Windows :yes: I stumbled upon this page a few mins ago, and it was instantly put in my favorites :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

I made some quick guide for reducing Windows folder at MSFN forum but can't be linked so i'll post it here too.

So here it goes, fixed some bugs, added easier start with a batch and some basic instructions.

Let's get started:

- Extract THIS into cd root dir (where the i386 directory and WIN51IP, win51ip.SP1 etc. files are.)

From there:

- Run "_Starter.cmd" and follow instructions

Of course every bird on MSFN and beyond knows that all the Remove and Drivers batches are jdeboeck's work !

I'm just a petty servant.

When it's done:

- Disable sfc like this:

Extract the modified sfc.dll into the I386 directory and open HIVESFT.INF. Under the [AddReg] section, add the following:

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon","SFCSetting",0x00010001,0xffffff9d

thanks to RaveRod.

- gosh's reducing source (follow instructions carefully! )

thanks to gosh.

Carefull about some leftovers after this method, see "_gosh's slim.cmd"

When you do it couple of times manually you may appreciate this file.

- Winnt.sif. It's good to turn off some components which you just deleted.

Edit winnt.sif file in i386\ (or BOOT\ after gosh's method) and under [Components] tag select which components to turn off.

You must use tweaked winnt.sif, you have one included in package(not totally unattended, fill some info if you want) but it's only for those people who didn't made their own.

- Pack ISO with this code, no other:

CDIMAGE.EXE -lWXPFPP_EN -t12/31/2002,12:00:00 -h -j1 -m -bBOOTSECTOR.BIN "SOURCE DIR" "DESTINATION.ISO"

Or if you want it easy:

run "_make ISO.cmd" from included CDIMAGE directory from within you extracted it in the first place, don't put it in new cd root dir.

- Test ISO with VMWare of VirtualPC, maybe some ReWriteable CD's

- Don't try to reduce it even more because you'll end up like me, testing whole installation for one more file

(maybe i'll post some further reduction if you'll be interested)

- Post installation cleanup

If you want to add some post installation cleanup it may look something like code in "_post cleanup.cmd" (try it, your win size after this and the above may be below 400mb).

You can add it to your RunOnce reg entries so that it automatically cleans those unneded dirs and files.

Made for Winxp with SP1.

No SP2 support for now, will be ready when it's out of the beta stage.

Comments and bugs are welcome.

We were discussing Sun Java...it's settings...and its bloat...on another board. I decided to play around with it to see just how much of that bloat could be eliminated from it, while still keeping its functionality. I thought I'd share with you, too, what I discovered.

I did a little bit of fiddling around with the files. Didn't seem to hurt anything. I still have its full function. Even it's uninstall function.

This total space savings of 30.6MB. (Not bad, since it's installation is 65MB or so.)

I deleted these:

C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03

I deleted all the individual files

C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\javaws

I deleted the folder and it's contents.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java

I deleted the entire folder and its contents.

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\{7148F0A6-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142030}

I deleted the folder and it's contents.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

I deleted Java Web Start.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Java Web Start

I deleted the Java Web Start folder.

C:\WINDOWS\Sun

I deleted the entire folder and its contents.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional files it installs, but I leave left alone...

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files

Here are installed two copies of

Java Runtime Environment 1.4.2

C:\WINDOWS\Installer

3deb9.mst

3debc.msi

C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{7148F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142030} <- Although, I did delete this folder because I deleted it's corresponding folder above in

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data

C:\WINDOWS\Sun

I deleted this folder and its contents.

C:\WINDOWS\system32

java.exe

javaw.exe

jpicpl32.cpl

jupdate-1.4.2_03-b02.log <- I did also deleted this file.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incidentally, here are some great settings you can make for Sun Java...

Per Vector:

I usually turn off the auto updates. Not just for Java, but for all my programs. I don't like software doing stuff without my say-so.

You should leave the cache on, though, if there's sites that you visit regularly that use the same applet. Like for example, I think you said you play a Yahoo Pool game that uses Java. It'll render quicker if it's cached to disk.

If you don't visit many sites that use Java, you can turn off caching to save some disk space, or just lower the amount of disk space it uses (like to 10 Megs or something liek that).

Most importantly, though, under the Basic tab, make sure you select "Do not start Console". This will stop the console from running everytime the plugin gets used. The console is only needed for developers and debuggers. You won't need that.

Per Shadow2531...

To add to that, goto

start

settings

control panel

java plugin

advanced tab

and make sure the java runtime enviroment is set to use JRE and not the java plugin default.

You adjust the settings so the icon doesn't load in the tray.

start

settings

control panel

java plugin

basic tab

uncheck "show java in system tray"

I know some people believe XPLite can do the job of removing WMP from your XP installation, but it really doesn't. It skips some files, and it deletes a couple that are necessary. Besides, if you've noticed, the program is a little buggy still.

I set about to remove WMP8.

I thought this would make for a clean install of WMP9. As clean an install, at least, as I could get without still having any lingering files from WMP8.

I did not remove any codecs. I have all my codecs set up just the way I like them, including some for some pretty tricky video files that took me forever to figure out the codecs I needed for them. So I don't want to mess with those.

Here's what I found out.

I removed every file related to WMP8 I could find.

I removed all of these files from these locations...

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player

dlimport.exe

music.bmp

npdrmv2.dll

npdrmv2.zip

npwmsdrm.dll

setup_wm.exe

wmplayer.exe

wmpvis.dll

C:\Windows Media Player\Skins

all ".wmz" files (skins)

C:\WINDOWS\Help

wmplayer.chm

wmplayer.inf

wmplayer.PNF

C:\Windows\system32

asfsipc.dll

blackbox.dll

CEWMDM.dll

drmclien.dll <<<< ***KEY FILE***

Something interesting with the "drmclien.dll": mplayer2 would not play ".wma" music files ...saying DRMClient.dll is missing. However, it would play ".wav" and ".mp3" files.

mplayer2 would play ".avi" and ".mpeg" and ".mpg" video files, but would not play *.wmv" video files.

So, I put back the "drmclient.dll...and ".wma" music files, and ".wmv" video files would now play using mplayer2.

So, if you want a very light Windows Media Player, remove all the files laid out here except "drmclient.dll" (...and maybe "msdmo.dll"...which you shall see about below highlighted with an explaination).

drmstor.dll

drmv2clt.dll

laprxy.dll

logagent.exe

mindex.dll

mpg4dmod.dll

msdmo.dll <<<< **KEY FILE**

DO NOT DELETE "msdmo.dll". WMP9 does not install it, and it needs the one already installed on your system, or else it will not play...anything.

msisam11.dll

msnetobj.dll

mspmsp.dll

msscp.dll

msuni11.dll

mswmdm.dll

wmadmod.dll

wmadmoe.dll

wmasf.dll

wmdmlog.dll

wmdmps.dll

wmidx.ocx

wmnetmgr.dll

wmp.ocx

wmpcd.dll

wmpcore.dll

wmploc.dll

wmpshell.dll

wmpstub.exe

wmpui.dll

wmsdmod.dll

wmsdmoe.dll

wmstream.dll

wmvcore.dll

wmvdmod.dll

wmvdmoe.dll

Now, I installed WMP9....and cleanly.

Come to find out, there are some files that belong to WMP8 that are not needed by WMP9...

These were in system32 for WMP8, but WMP9 did not install.

asfsipc.dll

mindex.dll

msisam11.dll

msuni11.dll

wmidx.ocx

wmpstub.exe

wmsdmoe.dll

wmstream.dll

wmvdmoe.dll

...And also a few in the Programs Files and other folders locations I pointed out.

Here is a batch file I made to remove the system32 files, at least. The others you will have to remove manually.

Also, to help you unregister the dlls from Program Files and system32 you remove, here's a neat little app that places in the right-click context menu "Register DLL" and "Unregister DLL". This will show up whenever you right-click on a DLL.

http://www.programmersheaven.com/zo...at633/30729.htm

Just group together all the DLLS the batch file below will remove, highlight them all, right-click...and you're in Un-Register heaven.

This batch file I'm going to give you will backup the system32 files listed above as it removes them from system32. They will be place on C:\ in a backup folder, named simply backup folder. Inside that folder will be a subfolder named WINDOWS. Inside the WINDOWS folder will be a subfolder named system32. Here you will see your backup files.

I did it this way so you will always know where they belong should you want to put them back.

Just copy and paste this to Notepad and save it as RemoveWMP8.bat.

IF NOT EXIST "c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32" md c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\asfsipc.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\blackbox.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\CEWMDM.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\drmstor.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\drmv2clt.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\laprxy.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\logagent.exe c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\mindex.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\mpg4dmod.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\msisam11.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\msnetobj.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\mspmsp.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\msscp.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\msuni11.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\mswmdm.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\wmadmod.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\wmadmoe.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\wmasf.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\wmdmlog.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\wmdmps.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\wmidx.ocx c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\wmnetmgr.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\wmp.ocx c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\wmpcd.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\wmpcore.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\wmploc.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\wmpshell.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\wmpstub.exe c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\wmpui.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\wmsdmod.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\wmsdmoe.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\wmstream.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\wmvcore.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\wmvdmod.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

MOVE c:\WINDOWS\system32\wmvdmoe.dll c:\backup\WINDOWS\system32\

"Well, that's all good and well. But I'm not interested in taking on the potential problems that can come about from removing important files from my XP installation.

Can't you please just tell me what files are "perfectly safe" and "harmless" to remove?

I just want to remove some clutter, and maybe gain just a little space on my hardrive in the process, without having to worry about running into problems down the road.

I know removing the "Help" files is okay...but what else can I SAFELY! remove?" ...he said.

Perfectly Safe To Remove Files:

Zero-Length Files I Delete:

C:\

AUTOEXEC.BAT

CONFIG.SYS

IO.SYS

MSDOS.SYS

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Index

This folder blongs to WMP8. If you've upgraded to WMP9 you can delete the folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player

This folder belongs to WMP9.

I delete the folder and its contents. It will remake itself upon use of WMP.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures

I only delete "quest.bmp"

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures

I delete the avatars I will probably never use, and place a few of my own in the folder I like.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents (or Shared Documents)\My Music

I'll delete this folder and its contents.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents (or Shared Documents)\My Pictures

I'll delete this folder and its contents.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Accessibility

I delete this folder and its contents.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Communictions

I delete the entire "Communications" folder and all its contents. This removes these shortcuts from my desktop. I access them rarely, I just enter the Control Panel to get to them.

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Favorites

I delete "MSN.com" and "Radio Station Guide".

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Favorites\Links

I delete this folder and it's contents.

You need to apply this reg tweak to delete the Links folder permanently:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar]

"LinksFolderName"=""

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\My Documents\My Music

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\My Documents\My Pictures

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories

I take the Accessories shortcuts I use (usually "Notepad" and "Windows Explorer") and cut and paste them to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories, and then I come back and delete the C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\tony\UserData

I delete the contents of theTemplates but keep the folder.

C:\Program Files...

C:\Program Files

I Completely deleted the Office Update folder and the Windows Update folder. These folders will be re-created when you go to update Windows and Office at the Windows Update site.

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Skins

I delete all the Windows Media player skins I will never use.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationary

I delete any stationaries in this folder that I most-likely won't use.

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\SIGNUP

I delete the SIGNUP folder and its contents.

C:\WINDOWS...

I deleted these individual files from the WINDOWS folder:

any .bak files

any .bmp files

the clock.avi file

control.ini (zero-length file)

any .log files (I regularly delete any ".log" files that turn up in this folder.)

NOTEPAD.EXE (There is a duplicate in system32.)

any .old files

any .tmp files

any .txt files (SchedLgU.txt will not delete. It belongs to Task Scheduler)

system.ini

TASKMAN.EXE (There is a duplicate in system32.)

win.ini

C:\WINDOWS

I delete all $NtUninstall$xxxx folders. These first folders you see in the WINDOWS folder are Windows Update installation/uninstall files for the updates gotten from Windows Update. These files are only used if you want to "uninstall" a particular Hotfix. They have nothing to do with the Hotfixes being in good working order on your system. You can safely delete these folders. Then go to the Add/Remove Utility. From here you can delete their corresponding Hotfix entries, as it will be invalid now anyway. Highlight their Hotfix entry and click on Remove.

C:\WINDOWS\Cursors

I deleted any cursors and animated cursors I will never use.

C:\WINDOWS\Debug

I delete the "oakley.log.sav" file.

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations

I delete the contents of the folder.

C:\WINDOWS\Fonts

Sometimes .fon extention fonts (The red A fonts) hide, so you need to run a search for *.fon in Search Assistant. You can safely delete all of the .fon fonts except these 15:

cga40woa.fon

cga80woa.fon

coure.fon

dosapp.fon

ega40woa.fon

ega80woa.fon

modern.fon

roman.fon

serife.fon

smalle.fon

sserife.fon

symbole.fon

vgafix.fon

vgaoem.fon

vgasys.fon

EXTRA FONTS (TTF Extentions) I delete:

arial black - (aka ariblk)

Book Antiqua (All)

Bookman Old Style (All)

Century Gothic (All)

comic sans MS - (aka comic)

comic sans MS bold - (aka comicbd)

cour.ttf

courbi.ttf

couri.ttf

Etrangelo Edessa - (aka este)

framd.ttf

framdit.ttf

Franklin Gothic Medium - (aka Framd)

Franklin Gothic Medium Italic - (aka Framdit)

Garamond (All)

guatami

georgia (all)

impact

l_10646.ttf

latha

mangal

mvboli

Palatino Linotype (all)

raavi

shruti

sylfaen

symbol

Trebuchet MS (all)

timesbi.ttf

timesi.ttf

tunga

webdings

WINGDINGS

Here is a list of all the remaining Fonts I have in C:\WINDOWS\Fonts. To see them all, because some are hidden, you need to do a search with your Search Assistant for *.fon, *.ttf

arial.ttf

arialbd.ttf

arialbi.ttf

ariali.ttf

cga40woa.fon

cga80woa.fon

courbd.ttf

coure.fon

dosapp.fon

ega40woa.fon

ega80woa.fon

lucon.ttf

marlett.ttf

micross.ttf

modern.fon

roman.fon

serife.fon

smalle.fon

sserife.fon

symbole.fon

tahoma.ttf

tahomabd.ttf

times.ttf

timesbd.ttf

verdana.ttf

verdanab.ttf

verdanai.ttf

verdanaz.ttf

vgafix.fon

vgaoem.fon

vgasys.fon

31 file(s)

C:\WINDOWS\Help

I delete the entire Tour folder. (You need to delete "tour.exe" from the dllcache first.)

I deleted all .PNF files in this folder.

(PNF files, are cache-type files that will be re-created when and if their corresponding .inf file is called upon.

Per Rob Elder: It's a "pre-compiled" version of the ASCII .INF file that gets created when the Setup first processes a particular .INF file. It's done to speed up searches of the .INF files (as you've noticed there are LOTS of those on the system in Windows 2000/XP); if the dates of the .INF and .PNF files compare favorably (.PNF is later than .INF) the corresponding .PNF file will be used (if present).

If, and only after you give it some time, (say 30 days), a corresponding .PNF file is not re-created alongside the .INF file, it most-likely means you aren't using the .INF file. I go ahead and delete them. (What I do sometimes instead of waiting, is run through every application on my system and then delete (or save) all the .INF files that haven't created a corresponding .PNF file beside it.)

However, in the meanwhile, and I picked this tip up from NeoMayhem, who like me, is also is also into trimming down his XP installation: "Do a search for mdm*.* and delete everything that comes up. These are all modem drivers, and it is very unlikely you will ever need them because you either have a modem installed already, or if you do add one, it will come with newer drivers." I also delete the "mdminst.dll" (Modem Class Installer) from the system32 folder. It'll also come up with the search.

C:\WINDOWS\lastgood

I delete this folder and it's contents.

C:\WINDOWS\Media

I delete most of the sounds Windows makes.

C:\WINDOWS\msdownld.tmp

I delete the folder and its contents.

C:\WINDOWS\RegisteredPackages

I delete the folder and its contents.

C:\WINDOWS\Temp

I delete any files I ever find in here. (note: It's a good idea to delete these after a reboot, because some programs you install still use these temporary installation files to complete their installation on the next boot.

C:\WINDOWS\Web

I only deleted all .gif and .htm files

C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper

I deleted all the wallpapers I didn't like...which is actually all of them.

C:\WINDOWS\system32...

C:\WINDOWS\system32

I delete all the empty numbered folders except 1033, which isn't empty.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config

I delete every file in here that Windows will let me. Some can't be deleted. And I periodically check in here and delete any that get made later on.

These are the only 13 files that are important in C/WINDOWS/system32\config, (These are your actual registry), anything else in there can be deleted without any problems to your system:

AppEvent.Evt

default.LOG

SAM

SAM.LOG

SecEvent.Evt

SECURITY

SECURITY.LOG

software

software.LOG

SysEvent.Evt

system

system.LOG

C:\WINDOWS\system32\DirectX

I delete the Dinput folder and its contents.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\oobe

I delete the entire "oobe" folder and all its contents.

OOBE is "Out of the Box Experience". OOBE is the wizard that usually runs after Setup and performs the following functions: product activation, registration, mouse tutorial, user creation.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups

I'll delete all backup files in here when I am sure I do not want to revert a particular driver back after updating it.

When I'm done I do a search for all "desktop.ini" files and delete them. If ever Windows needs them again they will be re-created.

Temp and Unnecessary Files I delete throughout my system:

*.000,*.001,*.002,*.1st,*.b~k,*.bk,*.bak,*.bmk,*.cam,*.cb,*.chk,*.cln,*.cnt,*.da1,*.da2,

*.diz,*.doc,*.edb,*.err,*.fix,*.ftg,*.fts,*.gid,*.ign,*.ink,*.lgc,*.lge,*.lic,*.new,*.par,*.prv,

*.pvt,*.query,*.old,*.out, readme,*.sav,*.syd,*.temp,*.tmp,*.umb,*.$$$,*.~mp,*.~*,*.*_,*.!!!,

*.lhx,

• 3 weeks later...
I set about to remove WMP8.

I thought this would make for a clean install of WMP9. As clean an install, at least, as I could get without still having any lingering files from WMP8.

As a preface, I wrote the installer...

Don't do that. The installer is meant to smoothly upgrade over the top of WMP8. If you're randomly deleting files (as suggested) without some sort of hideously good reason... you're walking into your own problem space. It's cool if it worked for you, but you lost some MPEG4 encoding capabilities + skins via your steps, and can run into other randomness.

The suggested steps just aren't Good Practice. I'll try to handle *regular* systems cleanly, but for a user-horked system like that I'm not going to guarantee anything remotely reliable happening. :) If there's some specific Upgrade Problem!, I'll try to fix that in the upgrade process if possible, but it's best to try the route of actually fixing the problem rather than trying to munge around it by deleting files. :)

-Z (speaking for myself as always)

As a preface, I wrote the installer...

Don't do that. The installer is meant to smoothly upgrade over the top of WMP8. If you're randomly deleting files (as suggested) without some sort of hideously good reason... you're walking into your own problem space. It's cool if it worked for you, but you lost some MPEG4 encoding capabilities + skins via your steps, and can run into other randomness.

The suggested steps just aren't Good Practice. I'll try to handle *regular* systems cleanly, but for a user-horked system like that I'm not going to guarantee anything remotely reliable happening. :) If there's some specific Upgrade Problem!, I'll try to fix that in the upgrade process if possible, but it's best to try the route of actually fixing the problem rather than trying to munge around it by deleting files. :)

-Z (speaking for myself as always)

So I lost all the MPEG4 encoding capabilities from no longer having these files installed with WMP9:

asfsipc.dll

mindex.dll

msisam11.dll

msuni11.dll

wmidx.ocx

wmpstub.exe

wmsdmoe.dll

wmstream.dll

wmvdmoe.dll

These are the only files that the installation of WMP9 didn't re-install. All other files were replaced, or given newer versions, with the exception of the skins.

So I lost all the MPEG4 encoding capabilities from no longer having these files installed with WMP9:

asfsipc.dll       

mindex.dll                                                                               

msisam11.dll                                                                             

msuni11.dll                                                                             

wmidx.ocx                                                                               

wmpstub.exe                                                                             

wmsdmoe.dll                                                                             

wmstream.dll                                                                             

wmvdmoe.dll                                                                             

These are the only files that the installation of WMP9 didn't re-install.  All other files were replaced, or given newer versions, with the exception of the skins.

I want to give you the benefit of the doubt on this, zachdms, because anyone who can write an installer for WMP must surely know his stuff; however, I can't agree with you. Take a look at this....

These three system32 files are installed with WMP9 whether or not you choose to uninstall WMP8 first:

mp4sdmod.dll < Corona Windows Media MPEG-4 S Video Decoder

mp43dmod.dll < Windows Media MPEG-4 Video Decoder

mpg4dmod.dll < Corona Windows Media MPEG-4 Video Decoder

As I listed above, these are the only system32 files WMP9 does not replace that are part of WMP8:

asfsipc.dll < ASFSipc Object

mindex.dll < Microsoft Media Index

msisam11.dll < Microsoft MSISAM 1.1

msuni11.dll < Microsoft Jet Sort Tables

wmidx.ocx < Windows Media Indexer OCX

wmpstub.exe < Windows Media Player Autoplay Loader

wmsdmoe.dll < Windows Media Screen Encoder DMO

wmstream.dll < Windows Media Streamer DLL

wmvdmoe.dll < Windows Media Video Encoder DMO

Given that, I fail to see how I could have lost any MPEG4 encoding capabilities.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bold! Saw you checked into StudioX for a brief momento ... jus wanted to say hi an mention that I have jus started a web site ... about nothing really.Well actually its supposed to be about graphics an pc tweakin an whatever ... :p He,he ... anyways stop by sometime an say hello. Jus click on the text at the bottom of my sig to visit. Oh, almost forgot ... dont forget to bring your latest,bestest,newest .bat file! Jan :)

Jan, your new site is the only site that I can post my entire list of files I remove from in one giant post.

I put my list files and folders I remove here...

http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/thread.php?fo...0&threadid=8943

And I put my list of files and their definitions of the system32 files I remove here...

...along with a batch file that removes the files and backs them up for safe keeping.

Jan, your new site is the only site that I can post my entire list of files I remove from in one giant post.

Cool! :cool:

They are all there.All in one piece and "stickied". :p

Edited by "jan

Thank you. I just can't find the words to describe how much I appreciate this. THANK YOU Bold_Fortune FOR ALL YOUR HELP. You've put down a lot of work on you project and there is no way I can thank you enough... But I hope this will give you some credit.

Hey ;). I actually only registered to thank you, so now I will be off de-registering me...

Those of you who find his work to be useless, well ignore it... and shut up, you didn't do it.

(I cant seem to find any way to de-register myself :huh: , so if any moderator sees this message, do so. Please)

Edited by StarvationPlan

Thank you. I just can't find the words to describe how much I appreciate this. THANK YOU Bold_Fortune FOR ALL YOUR HELP. You've put down a lot of work on you project and there is no way I can thank you enough... But I hope this will give you some credit.

Hey ;). I actually only registered to thank you, so now I will be off de-registering me...

Those of you who find his work to be useless, well ignore it... and shut up, you didn't do it.

Thanks, Mom.

Seriously though, thank you very much, StarvationPlan. That was a nice thing to say. Although, you're in the minority.

I must have the knack for picking topics that everybody has an opinion about. ...and it seems like I'm always getting slammed for mine...LOL. If I post about removing files from XP...SLAM! If I bring up how I back up my system, like in my "Save Hours Re-installing XP" thread...SLAM!! And the one about ClearType...SLAM! LOL.

There are more hits on these three topics...and it seems like half of the comments made on them are slamming me for even bringing it up. LOL.

Thanks again, StarvationPlan. That was a real treat to read.

Bold_Fortune:

Ill second motion as too someone who really enjoys your threads :-)

Was wondering however why you dont upload the four .bat files you put togeather and place them here?

Also another good image program that i use is "norton ghost" its brain dead to use,and there's nothing like having a 5 minute xp install...

Well thanks for all your hard work at seeing what we can delete from xp...

links for others:

Bolds xp delete items:

Bolds xp delete system32 items:

http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/thread.php?fo...0&threadid=8947

jdeboeck windows in 185mb sp1 install:

http://jdeboeck.msfnhosting.com/

gosh's site for making xp smaller:

http://gosh.msfnhosting.com/

xplite site:

http://www.litepc.com/xptrial_lic.html

Bold_Fortune:

Ill second motion as too someone who really enjoys your threads :-)

Was wondering however why you dont upload the four .bat files you put togeather and place them here?

This thread moves along so fast, spyglass, that they keep getting lost in the shuffle when I do post my .bat files.

Jan made my threads stickys at her site, and access to them should be much better for people.

Just click on my banner.

And thanks for the nice words, spyglass. You'd be surprised how good that makes me feel after getting slapped about this as much as I do.

Bold:

Think there maybe something wrong in one of the four .bat files you have made up...I was curious to see what they would do to a fresh install of xp pro,with only security updates installed and xplite demo...the problem is that add/remove in control panel no longer works...i wonder if you have had same bug?

I don't have that particular problem with add/remove, spyglass. I don't know how to help you out on it.

But the batch files do backup the files and folders they remove to a backup folder on C:\ they create. So they are backed up for you when a problem like this is experienced.

spyglass, I would have to assume that the problem you are experiencing had to come from the system32 batch file. Why, I still couldn't say. I only know that all systems are different, and may react differently. Why? I don't know that, either.

But assuming your problem stems from the files removed with my system32 batch file, here's how I would uncover bugs with my first attempts at making it:

When I created the system32 bat file, if I stumbled upon a bug, one way I had of uncovering the bug was to restore the files the bat file removed.

Making sure the problem was resolved, I would then begin removing the files again, but in groupings of the alphabet, re-checking after removing each group to see if the problem showed itself again.

Say I removed all the files that begin with the letter "B" and the problem showed itself to me again...I would then know the problem was within the B files.

So I would then remove all the other files and replace all the B files back to system32...and then proceed with the process of elimination by removing a few B files at a time, until the problem presented itself again.

Then I would remove all the B files, and restore only the small grouping of B files wherein the problem existed.

Then I would corner the culprit file by eliminating one at a time the few B files I had left.

Helpful hint: First I set my system32 file folder view to "Date Created".