[winxp] GUIDE: Making your windows folder smaller!

Oh, if "I" can.

I don't think one post will handle them all. Even in separate posts, they will always get lost within this thread because the thread sometimes moves along so fast.

I sort of wish a moderator would pin these 5 guides so people wouldn't have to go searching through endless posts to figure out what is deletable.

Unless someone has a site of their own where they can be posted and pinned.

lol tried lookin thru all the threads but i got lost :( Im sure moderators can pin them but i guess as they are massive well nvm. Thanks n e way :)

Bold_Fortune:

Thanks again for all your hard work...after reading parts 1-5 for what to remove from slipstreamed sp2,im left with the thought that this whole thing needs to be done with one simple to use *.bat file...im sure doing it all by hand would be easy enough (if not fairly long process) but i think creating a *.bat file would encourage a lot more people to try and thus appreciate all your hard work...

I've been messing with this folder and it's files:

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution

For SP2 users this is now our "Windows Update" folder...much like when using XP or XP-SP1 C:\Program Files\Windows Update was the folder Windows Update used.

Inside the SoftwareDistribution is a subfolder, "Download". This is where your selected Windows Updates are now downloaded to for installation...instead of C:\Temp.

You can lose the "C:\Program Files\Windows Update" folder since it is now obsolete.

And, if you want to, the "C:\Temp folder". Unless you are using it for something else. (You can always make one again anyway should you find a use for it.

You can delete every file and folder within C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution.

The "Datastore" subfolder will immediately re-create itself with its files. The "ReportingEvents.log" cannot be deleted.

The "WebSetup" folder and "WuRedir" will be re-created at the very next time you visit Windows Update.

And when you download something from Windows Update the other folders will be re-created...but this time without all the previous stuff you had in there and don't need building upon. The file within the "EventCache" I've seen grow to 12MBs.

Per McGazza? request. (Gee that guy can bug you to get what he wants...LOL)

Here is a Zip file of my Five Part File Deleting Guide so you don't have to go search all through this thread for them.

Per McGazza? request. (Gee that guy can bug you to get what he wants...LOL)

Here is a Zip file of my Five Part File Deleting Guide so you don't have to go search all through this thread for them.

Haha:happy:y::yes:s: thanks a lo:):)

I didn't want to get too far into removing files from SP2 until I further understood them, and felt comfortable removing them.

I finally decided to eliminate XP's Firewall from my system. I didn't use it with SP1 so why should I use it with SP2?

Anyway, I removed Services related to it (and a couple of others).

Here's what I did...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Routing and Remote Access Support (RRAS)

Delete these 16 files from C:\WINDOWS\system32

alg.exe

ipmontr.dll

ipnathlp.dll

iprtprio.dll

iprtrmgr.dll

ipxmontr.dll

ipxpromn.dll

ipxroute.exe

ipxrtmgr.dll

ipxsap.dll

ipxwan.dll

mprddm.dll

mprdim.dll

mprmsg.dll

mprui.dll

rtm.dll

Delete these 5 files from C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

ipfltdrv.sys

ipinip.sys

ipnat.sys

nwlnkflt.sys

nwlnkfwd.sys

------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Delete this file from C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

lmhsvc.dll

Telephony

Delete these 6 files from C:\WINDOWS\system32

tapi.dll

tapi3.dll

tapiperf.dll

tapisrv.dll

tapiui.dll

telephon.cpl

Terminal Services

Delete these 41 files from C:\WINDOWS\system32

cdmodem.dll

cfgbkend.dll

drprov.dll

icaapi.dll

logoff.exe

msg.exe

mstlsapi.dll

mstsc.exe

mstscax.dll

perfts.dll

qappsrv.exe

qprocess.exe

qwinsta.exe

rdchost.dll

rdpcfgex.dll

rdpclip.exe

rdpsnd.dll

rdpwsx.dll

rdsaddin.exe

rdshost.exe

regini.exe

remotepg.dll

reset.exe

rwinsta.exe

sessmgr.exe

shadow.exe

termsrv.dll

tsappcmp.dll

tscfgwmi.dll

tscon.exe

tscupgrd.exe

tsddd.dll

tsdiscon.exe

tskill.exe

tslabels.h

tslabels.ini

tsshutdn.exe

usrlogon.cmd

utildll.dll

winsta.dll

wscsvc.dll

Delete these 6 files C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

rdpcdd.sys

rdpdr.sys

rdpwd.sys

tdpipe.sys

tdtcp.sys

termdd.sys

Delete these 2 files from C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem

tscfgwmi.mfl

tscfgwmi.mof

----------------------------------------------------------------

Bold_Fortune:

To clean C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache without needing xplite run this command from command prompt:

C:\sfc.exe/purgecache

note: from a clean xp install with slipstreamed sp2 running this command alone deletes and adds over 400mb harddrive space...

http://img3.exs.cx/img3/6720/1280x1024_1.jpg

This is my desktop showing all processes and amount of used space on C:\ drive (not including swap file, swap file moved to E:\ drive). :D

I did a combination of the instructions of the first post in this thread while following black vipor's service config to disabling almost all services and also used XPLite to disable WFP and remove IE and all other programs. :)

Current Size of "Windows" folder is "size on disk, 529 MB (554,819,584 bytes)"

Current Size of "Program Files" folder is "size on disk, 194 MB (204,210,176 bytes)"

Current Size of "Documents and Settings" folder is Random, Firefox cache is why

Current Total Size of C:\ Drive (without swap file) is 758MB, less than 1.0GB

If you need any more details, I'd be more than happy to go into deeper detail for you. ;)

Its about time i think to look at ur guides in detail, i got NAV to scan an it scannedabout 1/2 of files which from the Windows Directory thanks again for postin up your guide :)

One question though, you say u use XPlite, do we run that tool then delete the files you have specified?

Edited by McGazza

One question though, you say u use XPlite, do we run that tool then delete the files you have specified?

No, I posted in PART 4 what I deleted using XPLite. I could have done this on my own. I posted it for others so they wouldn't need to spend $50.00 to buy XPLite.

If you first bought XPLite when it came out you'd have found that they released it long before it was working correctly.

At that time, I had pointed out some of the mistakes they had made by removing files that were necessary to keep, and not removing other files that were parts of some programs they were trying to delete.

In other words...it wasn't very thorough, and it removed somethings that it shouldn't have.

Although their team has made some improvements to XPLite, I still can't see why they insist on charging $50.00 for this program. It doesn't backup what it deletes...and it doesn't even unregister what it deletes. It's just not half the program their 98Lite was.

No, I posted in PART 4 what I deleted using XPLite. I could have done this on my own. I posted it for others so they wouldn't need to spend $50.00 to buy XPLite.

If you first bought XPLite when it came out you'd have found that they released it long before it was working correctly.

At that time, I had pointed out some of the mistakes they had made by removing files that were necessary to keep, and not removing other files that were parts of some programs they were trying to delete.

In other words...it wasn't very thorough, and it removed somethings that it shouldn't have.

Although their team has made some improvements to XPLite, I still can't see why they insist on charging $50.00 for this program. It doesn't backup what it deletes...and it doesn't even unregister what it deletes. It's just not half the program their 98Lite was.

heh this time i followed ur guide thoroughly and so far my comp aint crashed or failed lol yey :D

Jan, you know you're welcome to my file deleting stuff. Just go ahead and take them and post them if you like.

Thanks Bold. Your the best. :cool:

Jus ta let you know our friend coathanger ( who so dearly loved deleting stuff) is no longer a mod an is pretty scarce around these here parts now. Love ta see more of ya. Jan :)

Jus ta let you know our friend coathanger ( who so dearly loved deleting stuff) is no longer a mod an is pretty scarce around these here parts now. Love ta see more of ya. Jan  :)

Sounds good.

I'll leave any forum when I feel censorship becomes an issue.

As long its members follow the rules of posting that a site puts up, why shouldn't they say what they want to say?

A couple of sites I used to belong to could have been great -- and should have been great -- but for the overbearing tactics of some of their moderators.

Too bad more forums aren't like Neowin. Look how big it's gotten over the years. You'd think more sites would take a look at the reason why.

I think its because they don't play that censorship game. At least that's why I'm still here.

Take for example our moderator, gameguy. He only deletes my posts when I make references to his mother.

Jus ta let you know our friend coathanger ( who so dearly loved deleting stuff) is no longer a mod an is pretty scarce around these here parts now. Love ta see more of ya. Jan :)

Awww are u in love ;) :p

I read a part of SP2 guide of how to get rid of files in System32 folder, but alas I have SP1 (not SP1a) and also was wondering if the instructions were/are the same like with SP2 or if you already have instructions for SP1 elsewhere? ;)

Your instuctions are well written and nicely done by the way, thanks for sharing with us all. :happy:

Edit: I know this may sound stupid, but how do I go about preventing files from being put in "C:\Windows\Repair" folder? :whistle:

I read a part of SP2 guide of how to get rid of files in System32 folder, but alas I have SP1 (not SP1a) and also was wondering if the instructions were/are the same like with SP2 or if you already have instructions for SP1 elsewhere? ;)

Your instuctions are well written and nicely done by the way, thanks for sharing with us all. :happy:

Edit: I know this may sound stupid, but how do I go about preventing files from being put in "C:\Windows\Repair" folder? :whistle:

You'll have to go back some pages through this thread, Pegasus124. I have numerous posts and batch files concerning deleting files from SP1.

Given your enthusiasm for reducing files and saving space, dig this...

My best SP1...

Windows Directory (all files and sub-folders)?

1264 Files

48 Folders

249 MB ...Size on disk

System32 Folder?

1093 Files

12 Folders

218 MB ...Size on disk

I haven't accomplished this with SP2 yet, because...because...well, because...I really don't want to. ...LOL.

I'm pretty much sticking for now with PARTS 1-4 of my SP2 file deleting guide.

Good Luck to you, buddy. My file deleting days are pretty much over. I posted my findings only to show what is possible to remove from an XP installation...for people who asked that question...like I did with nobody around to answer it.

Actually, McGazza?, I'm starting to fancy you.

LoL Thank:):) Every1 thinks im adorable, anyway i followed ur guide without reading it properly (so typical:huh:h: ) and well kinda messed up my MS Word fonts as it wud blank em out and it messed uo msn messengers too, typical noobie here advice is to read it properly:no:o: