[winxp] GUIDE: Making your windows folder smaller!

thxs for tips Bold...seeing as how i have a windows sp1a image with security updates that only takes about 5 minutes to install,its really no biggie messing around with things...this getting xp down in size could really become addictive...

I have 944 individual files left in my system32 folder.

I thought I was done trying to reduce the number of files in my system32 folder. But I opened up a couple of files with Notepad, and from what I could make out, they belong to Indexing Service...which, as many of us do, disable anyway.

Then one thing led to another, and before you know it I had 31 files I removed for testing.

I backed up these 31 files. So far everything looks good, but I'll be testing my system without them for 2 or 3 weeks regardless...and I'll also be trying to learn a little more about them in the meantime. If all goes well, I'll add them to the system32 bat file.

If anyone has any information on any of these 31 files...especially if it has to do with my system blowing up because I removed them...let me know.

12520437.cpx

12520850.cpx

emptyregdb.dat

esentprf.ini

FNTCACHE.DAT

mlang.dat

oembios.sig

pcl.sep

perfc009.dat

perfci.h

perfci.ini

perfd009.dat

perffilt.h

perffilt.ini

perfh009.dat

perfi009.dat

PerfStringBackup.INI

perfwci.h

perfwci.ini

prodspec.ini

pschdprf.ini

pscript.sep

pubprn.vbs

rasctrs.ini

rsvp.ini

secupd.sig

SndDrv32x.ini

sysprint.sep

sysprtj.sep

tcpmon.ini

tslabels.ini

31 file(s)

Jan moved to a new site. Which gave us the ability to post the System32 batch file for downloading. This particular System32 batch file I have been using for months now without a hitch. So, I guess you can say it's out of beta. I will only add to it, not detract from it, as time goes by. Enjoy.

Just click on my signature.

Oh, and say hi when you get there.

I haven't made a .cmd file for removing the "individual" files in folders that are outside of the system32 folder as yet. However, I do have three .cmd files for removing the "complete" folders and all their contents.

They remove only the folders which I normally remove the entire folder and its contents. They do not remove individual files I single out from a folder to remove. That will have to come later. For now you'll have to remove those manually.

I made the .cmd files into three sections:

1. Documents and Settings Folders.cmd

2. Programs Files Folders.cmd

3. WINDOWS and system32 Folders.cmd

These .cmd files will move and save the folders and their files to a backup folder on C:\ . The backup folder is simply named, Backup.

Within the Backup folder you'll notice what I call "smart placement" of subfolders, identical to how they look in XP. For example, you will see a folder named Program Files. Within Program Files you will see Common Files. Within Common Files you will see Microsoft Shared. Within Microsoft Shared you will see Speech. Within Speech you will see all the files the Speech folder contains.

I did this "smart placement" of folders and their files for you, so you would always know exactly where they came from should you decide to replace some, or all, of them to their original locations.

You can get them here...

http://www.graphixanstuff.com/Forum/index....0&st=0#entry545

I hope you enjoy and have fun with them...because that's what it's all about isn't it...having fun with your computer?

8. c:\windows\srchasst

This folder is the XP Search assistant, if you delete it, windows will just use the classic 2k style search instead, which is more functional and easier to use.

WARNING: Some people have reported problems with this, and have not been able to search, try this at your own risk!!!

BTW. In the srchassist you should only delete the mui and chars directories. XP recreates those 4 files that're already in there next time you try to search.

(You still get the 2K 'feel' though.)

~

BTW. In the srchassist you should only delete the mui and chars directories. XP recreates those 4 files that're already in there next time you try to search.

(You still get the 2K 'feel' though.)

~

You don't have to delete any files to use classic search. Click "Change Preferences" in the search window, then click "Change files and folders search behavior" and choose advanced. Close the search window. Next time you search, you'll use the classic search (Y)

i cant wait to see all the retards del stuff from there windows folder, and there pc wont work. MS isnt paying engineers 30/hr to code files that arent needed. as you might not need specific DLL files , everyones setup is different , anyone that takes advice from someone saying to del stuff out of there windows dir gets what they deserve.

XeoVision, Here you go... http://www.graphixanstuff.com/Forum/index.php?showtopic=60

csabo2, you know what I like about Neowin? Their moderators are very tolerant. They'll let just about anybody post here. Makes for a fun and diverse site. Wouldn't you just hate it if they pick and chose which posts to keep up, and which to remove? For example, say a guy couldn't spell. His grammar was excruciating. He wouldn't no a capital letter if it jumped up and bit him in the butt. Neowin's not going to remove that post. That's what I like about Neowin.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm posting my latest system32 batch file here. I've been running without the files this batch file removes from my system32 folder for some months now, with the exception of another 30-odd files I've just included to it. These 30 or so files I have been testing for about three weeks now and everything seems aok.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

VERY IMPORTANT. IF YOU DO NOT READ THIS PART CAREFULLY...AND UNDERSTAND IT...STAY AWAY FROM THIS SYSTEM32 BAT FILE:

The two single file areas that YOU MUST BE MOST CAREFUL WITH are NLS Files = Multiple Language Resource Files. Character Translation; National Language Services driver (font or font map) ...and "KBD*.dll" files...which are for foreign language keyboard layouts.

A WORD OF CAUTION about NLS files. Delete any one of these you're not supposed to and your system may not restart.

NLS Files = Multiple Language Resource Files. Character Translation; National Language Services driver (font or font map).

My system settings are for U.S.English. If you live outside of the U.S. using a foreign from U.S. computer you will need to check within your Layout.ini file within your Prefetch folder to see exactly which NLS files your system uses.

For my U.S.English settings, I remove all of these NLS files:

c_037.nls

c_10000.nls

c_10006.nls

c_10007.nls

c_10010.nls

c_10017.nls

c_10029.nls

c_10079.nls

c_10081.nls

c_10082.nls

c_1026.nls

c_1258.nls

c_20127.nls

c_20261.nls

c_20866.nls

c_20905.nls

c_21866.nls

c_28592.nls

c_28593.nls

C_28594.NLS

C_28595.NLS

C_28597.NLS

c_28598.nls

c_28599.nls

c_28603.nls

c_28605.nls

c_500.nls

c_737.nls

c_775.nls

c_850.nls

c_852.nls

c_855.nls

c_857.nls

c_860.nls

c_861.nls

c_863.nls

c_865.nls

c_866.nls

c_869.nls

c_874.nls

c_875.nls

I delete ALL "kbd*.dll" files...which are for foreign language keyboard layouts, except for "kbdus.dll" which is the United States Keyboard layout, and the one I use.

A WORD OF CAUTION about kbd*.dlls. kbd*.dlls are Keyboard Layout files. My settings are for U.S. English, so I only need and keep the "kdbdus.dll". All others I remove from system32.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One final word... My system32 bat file removes and backups well over 700 individual files from the system32 directory. All systems are not the same. Removing these files works for my system and how I use it. It may not work for you.

My system32 bat file will "move" and "save" the files it removes from the System32 Directory to a folder it creates on C:\ simply named "BACKUP". Inside the BACKUP Folder will be a sub-folder named "WINDOWS". Inside the WINDOWS Folder will be another sub-folder named "system32".

I created the batch file this way for you, so you would always know exactly from where these files came from in case you decide you would like to replace some or all of them.

Now that I've scared the crap out of you with the proper warnings...enjoy!

I haven't made a .cmd file for removing the "individual" files in folders that are outside of the system32 folder as yet. However, I do have three .cmd files for removing the "complete" folders and all their contents.

They remove only the folders which I normally remove the entire folder and its contents. They do not remove individual files I single out from a folder to remove. That will have to come later. For now you'll have to remove those manually.

I made the .cmd files into three sections:

1. Documents and Settings Folders.cmd

2. Programs Files Folders.cmd

3. WINDOWS and system32 Folders.cmd

These .cmd files will move and save the folders and their files to a backup folder on C:\ . The backup folder is simply named, Backup.

Within the Backup folder you'll notice what I call "smart placement" of subfolders, identical to how they look in XP. For example, you will see a folder named Program Files. Within Program Files you will see Common Files. Within Common Files you will see Microsoft Shared. Within Microsoft Shared you will see Speech. Within Speech you will see all the files the Speech folder contains.

I did this "smart placement" of folders and their files for you, so you would always know exactly where they came from should you decide to replace some, or all, of them to their original locations.

This zip file contains all three .cmd files. I have them placed each in its own folder.

I've noticed the moderators here at Neowin pretty much stay away from this thread...and with good reason. I doubt seriously if any moderator, on any forum, could, in good conscience, put his or her endorsement on a project like this.

I would, however, like to thank Neowin and its team for allowing me to follow through with my file experiments. There are not many forums that would lend a free hand to a project like this. Trust me, I have been there and done that, and have bumped into so much negative reaction to this project. Not just from fellow members, but from moderating teams.

There is a particular forum I'm thinking of which has only around 400 registered members. On that site, my two threads about file removal have each generated on their own over 20,000 hits. Though this be a very controversial subject (removing files) it is a very popular subject.

Disclaimers by a moderating team is one thing...and a good thing. Outright insults and name calling coming from a team of moderators is quite another.

Here's an example of one such post...from the administrator no less: "Bold, Get over yourself! You are not responsible for any increases traffic at this site. I can not tell you how many emails/PM's I have received because people screwed up their installs because of your deleting files threads."

(Hmm...20,000 hits per thread on a forum with only 400 members. Needless to say, I didn't feel much appreciated on that site.)

So thanks Neowin, and the team, for allowing this to happen here. To me, that makes Neowin the best tweaking site around.

i tried everything and almost threw away may di-cam, because windows didn't want to find it no more. and it took me weeks to remember, that i deleted the windows/inf folder :red: other than that, a very good guide.

i tried everything and almost threw away may di-cam, because windows didn't want to find it no more. and it took me weeks to remember, that i deleted the windows/inf folder :red: other than that, a very good guide.

bush, deleting all the .INF files is not such a good idea...as you just found out. Here's what I recommend:

C:\WINDOWS\inf

I delete all .PNF files in this folder.

PNF files, are cache-type files that will be re-created when and if their corresponding .INF file is called upon. A .PNF file gets created when the Setup first processes a particular .INF file. It's done to speed up searches of the .INF files

If, and only after I give it some time, (30 to 60 days), a corresponding .PNF file is not re-created alongside the .INF file, it most-likely means I'm not going to be using those .INF files. I then go ahead and delete them.

NeoMayhem

This folder holds the MS Agent program. The MS Agent is a gay little wizard thing that looks

like the Office Assistant, I personally hate this thing, and removing it will get rid of it

for good! If windows wont let you remove the folder, just delete everything inside of it,

and everything inside of the intl folder.

DsnBehind

Okay, I just read that. How the hell is the MS Agent gay? I am sure that it is not.

Damnit, I hate that term. It's ANNOYING. Now I hate another person.

Bold_Fortune

Main Entry: 1gay

Pronunciation: 'gA

Function: adjective

Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French gai

Date: 14th century

1 a : happily excited : MERRY b : keenly alive and exuberant : having or inducing high

spirits

2 a : BRIGHT, LIVELY <gay sunny meadows> b : brilliant in color

3 : given to social pleasures; also : LICENTIOUS

4 a : HOMOSEXUAL b : of, relating to, or used by homosexuals <the gay rights movement> <a

gay bar>

synonym see LIVELY

He must have been looking at meanings #'s 1 and 2. You must have thought he meant meaning

#4. So you don't have to hate him now.

I personaly think that NeoMayhem has posted the term 'gay' in a manner not to say that it is

a happily excited and bright and lively, but more in a derogative way. :angry:

just my 2 cents.

Besides that, the rest of it seems pretty good!

nice guide ,but i think its best to be very carefull while doing all this , anyways mah windows xp ( sp1 ) foler is now just abt 1.07 gb & i didnt even touch the drivers folder .............thnx

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I managed to shrink my Windows folder from ~3GB to ~2.5GB by compressing (rather than deleting) the folders mentioned in the guide.

That way, I still saved space but there's no chance of anything going wrong :)

does anyone what the PNPDRVRS folder is for in my c drive? and i want to kno if its safe to delete..thanks