Chkdsk bug in Windows 7 RTM Build 7600.16385/16399

you know the thing that bothers me the most is that i noticed this bug back when windows 7 was RC build 7100 and i did send feedback abt it etc. but they didn't fix it. also there is another bug that hasn't been fixed yet despite all my feedback its when u open task scheduler, and try to start a basic task, the cpu consumption greatly increase it froze my pc for a while then it went normal. i am using x86 version of build 7600 now same problem. they don't even listen to feedback once they product is RC. i guess Microsoft feels pressure to release it as soon as possible for maximum sales. bothers me.

confirmed! but i dont get a BSOD it just use a lot of ram & then returned. i think a hotfix must be on its way..

post-282466-1249365974_thumb.png

Edited by ilovetech

Yup this issue is true it happens in RC too this problem went unnoticed the memory usage just increases and the chkdsk doesn't continue well. I too have 8 GB the memory consumption was just increasing like anything went above 6GB it just goes on increasing.

post-189156-1249365857_thumb.jpg

post-189156-1249365912_thumb.jpg

confirmed! but i dont get a BSOD it just use a lot of ram & then returned. i think a hotfix must be on its way..

The original user who found the bug stated to me that he had his unit BSOD. I haven't let my chkdsk run long enough to risk a BSOD and cannot confirm if BSODs are true.

Yup this issue is true it happens in RC too this problem went unnoticed the memory usage just increases and the chkdsk doesn't continue well. I too have 8 GB the memory consumption was just increasing like anything went above 6GB it just goes on increasing.

Damn dude! Your mem usage on Task Manager is funky! You have a comma out of place. It looked like u were using 60GB! "chkdsk.exe Admin 00 60,06,612K Check Disk Utility" LOL It should be like this then 6,006,612K.

It didn't BSOD for me and I finished it, after which all the ram was returned. It stopped increasing in ram usage at 2.7GB on my 4GB machine and maintained till stage 5 was finished.

It might be a feature that it uses as much ram as possible to do the chkdsk (for speed?), and those people with 8GB of ram have chkdsk use up 6+GB because they have that much ram to use.

IMO, it seems like it stops at a certain threshold and shouldn't be a problem.

The original person who experienced a BSOD might have a faulty disk in the 1st place..who knows

Some of us have verified the 'bug', but none of us have had the BSOD yet right?

no bsd here. i think it uses as much free ram as it can for speed, then it finishes and releases the ram back.

bug yes, not a showstopper imho.

Will they make a new build and release it on 6 Aug? or will it be delayed?

They could just release a new build or maybe slip stream an update into the RTM iso or something which installs during the setup.

Will they make a new build and release it on 6 Aug? or will it be delayed?

No. It's done. This and thousands of other bugs will ship, and then be patched through Windows Update later if they are serious enough.

It definitely isn't a "show stopper" bug unless more people experience the BSOD. You shouldn't be using your computer anyway while doing a chkdsk /r.

I agree!

RC has the so call problem too.

I'm not bothered by it at all.

I didn't use CMD to check, just properties and tools - check now and it used up over 600k of ram.

I don't think it is a bug. Maybe it is by design to speed up the whole checking process. I ran it on my laptop with RTM x86 7600.16385 and left it alone running for about 10 minutes on an external WD 500GB drive. Sure, the RAM usage increased quickly from around 700 MB to 1,701,732 KB in matter of seconds but it stayed there without increasing or decreasing the usage for a few minutes and my computer (again, a laptop) was very responsive.

post-203976-1249372355_thumb.jpg

Specs: Core Duo 1.66 / 4gb RAM / Intel 945GM Graphics

I left the laptop running CHKDSK and tomorrow will see if it BSOD or not. But I'm starting to think that this is not a bug. For the guy that got the BSOD maybe his computer was overclocked or it is a bit unstable...

Will definitively keep an eye on this to see what others say.

Edited by ajua

Show stopper?

Is this Tabloid headline season or something.

The chkdsk command is not used by the majority of people to begin with anyway.

Just because I don't think anyone has confirmed whether this behaviour is "by design" or not (i.e. was present in Vista too) I'm running a chkdsk /r on a 500GB volume here on a Windows Vista Enterprise x64 SP2 system and memory usage has not gone above 17,204K for the chkdsk process yet.. so it's definitely a fault in Windows 7!

Show stopper?

Is this Tabloid headline season or something.

chkdsk can run automatically if a system was not cleanly rebooted. If you end up where a user is being forced through a chkdsk process, then the system blue screens too then you're potentially into a data loss. The scenario is easy to forsee so I agree when everyone is saying that this is a critical bug which needs fixing and is definitely bordering on being a showstopper.

Just tried it, uses a lot of ram, computer stays responsive, ram is released when chkdsk finished. I'm not sure this is a bug at all to be honest, and even if it is, definitely not a show stopper.

Maybe the OP got a BSOD because he has a bad RAM module which normally isn't used, do a memtest.

Excuse my ignorance here, but isn't this the sort of command you would never run inside windows anyway?

I've always thought of it as a old fashioned 'boot to floppy - run in dos' kind of thing!