Chkdsk bug in Windows 7 RTM Build 7600.16385/16399

As for illeagle software!! YES IT IS ! as there are no official legitmate downloads out yet! you must have it from a torrent ! therefore illeagle

If you have a problem speak to the staff, stop trolling this thread with your worthless posts. Also, how do you know where I got my ISO from, are you telepathic or something? it is possible to get them from insider contacts, work, TAP, ETC...

SO is this happening on all those *LEAKED* builds...with the chinese altered files? SO you guys are sending an unknown third party all kinds of data from your computer, when you think your chkdsk is bugged? hahahaha... :)

You got an MVC award posting nonsense like that? wow. The ISO I have is actually a totally untouched English install image, guess that argument failed pretty quickly.

The original user who found the bug stated to me that he had his unit BSOD. I haven't let my chkdsk run long enough to risk a BSOD and cannot confirm if BSODs are true.

Actually, since my XPS has 8 gigs of RAM, I didn't get a BSOD. All I found was that there is an obvious memory leak within chkdsk.exe. If anybody is experiencing BSOD's, that is definitely news to me. With the amount of RAM that is being consumed, I wouldn't be surprised.

But, since I see this thread has gone to sh*t, I'm gonna go back to my forums, where we try to resolve issues or create workarounds, rather than start a flame war over illegal software or whatever else you folks are complaining about. Thanks to everybody who actually contributed to this and let's hope we get some resolve through a hotfix/QFE before too long. Back to W7C I go! If you want to get people to actually help, I recommend going there instead.

What about earlier builds? Is the bug present in those as well? I know someone confirmed that it existed in the RC but what about some of the earlier ones? Maybe that can be used to replace the one in the RTM with more luck? Just a thought. :)

I investigated this a bit further, and it isn't a leak as such, but it is still rather worrying. It climbed to about 95% of my available memory then stopped climbing, with no BSOD resulting.

post-286512-1249405664_thumb.png

I investigated this a bit further, and it isn't a leak as such, but it is still rather worrying. It climbed to about 95% of my available memory then stopped climbing, with no BSOD resulting.

UPDATE:

After emailing back and forth with the VP Sinofsky, it was found that the chkdsk /r tool is not at fault here. It was simply a chipset controller issue. Please update you chipset drivers to the current driver from your motherboard manufacturer. I did mine, and this fixed the issue. Yes it still uses alot of physical memory, because your checking for physical damage, and errors on the Harddrive your testing. I'm currently completed the chkdsk scan with no BSOD's or computer sluggishness. Feel free to do this and try it for yourselves. Again, there is no Bug.

Thanks all.

fixed.jpg

Edited by FireRx

It was simply a chipset controller issue.

But I was able to reproduce the fault in a VM also..?

Yes it still uses alot of physical memory, because your checking for physical damage, and errors on the Harddrive your testing.

Um - care to elaborate here? Why is it still using a lot of physical memory to accomplish which the same task on Windows Vista does not? Myself and a few other folks here report that Vista uses between 8MB and 16MB when running chkdsk..

I still think this is a bug.

UPDATE:

After emailing back and forth with the VP Sinofsky, it was found that the chkdsk /r tool is not at fault here. It was simply a chipset controller issue. Please update you chipset drivers to the current driver from your motherboard manufacturer. I did mine, and this fixed the issue. Yes it still uses alot of physical memory, because your checking for physical damage, and errors on the Harddrive your testing. I'm currently completed the chkdsk scan with no BSOD's or computer sluggishness. Feel free to do this and try it for yourselves. Again, there is no Bug.

Thanks all.

Ok, but the memory usage is supposed to be that high? Just checking. :)

Why does it seem I'm the only one not having this problem? :blink:

Oh, and to the people yelling at me on the first page, I posted that before anyone had added screenshots. It seemed logical at the time that a new guy posting a bug that I couldn't reproduce with no screenshots was fake. Others have confirmed it now, but it doesn't happen to me. Check the time I posted and the times people edited their posts before you get all upset.

UPDATE:

Thanks all.

fixed.jpg

I am using version 15.35 of my chipset drivers, the latest available so I don't buy that for a second. Especially seeing as under the same circumstances in Vista you don't get this issue. Not to mention high data throughput doesn't automatically equal high memory usage.

Also, my Laptop has an ATI chipset, and my desktop an nVidia chipset, I see you have and others that are experiencing this have an Intel chipset as well, so please tell me what exactly is the common link here? Are you telling me that 3 different chipsets from 3 different manufacturers ALL have bugs in them that cause the same memory issue, in exactly the same set of circumstance, even with different brands, sizes, and speeds of hard drives? please.

The process ended without any BSOD at all for me (I posted the screenshot of my laptop running CHKDSK earlier on).

Could be as well the chipset's driver or not. I'm using the latest from Intel.

However, I'm still thinking this is normal (As weird as this huge amount of RAM usage is).

I know that many of the users who have posted their own tests here have plenty of RAM (4gb and more) and are surprised to see some process use GB's of free RAM like nothing before.

Has someone tried this on a computer with 2gb or even 1gb to see how it ends up?

Just because I don't think anyone has confirmed whether this behaviour is "by design" or not (i.e. was present in Vista too) I'm running a chkdsk /r on a 500GB volume here on a Windows Vista Enterprise x64 SP2 system and memory usage has not gone above 17,204K for the chkdsk process yet.. so it's definitely a fault in Windows 7!

chkdsk can run automatically if a system was not cleanly rebooted. If you end up where a user is being forced through a chkdsk process, then the system blue screens too then you're potentially into a data loss. The scenario is easy to forsee so I agree when everyone is saying that this is a critical bug which needs fixing and is definitely bordering on being a showstopper.

That is the big thing I was trying to hammer home when people would look at me and say something about theatrics... I was trying to say this is definantly show stopper seeing the point that if a BSOD were to occur during chkdsk fixing a hard drive this could lead to perminant data deletion/loss. Unfortunatly, there are some who thought i was taking it a bit too far. Look at my screen shot also. My RAM maxes out on stage 4 of 5 and doesn't even start to show a % of Stage 4 completed. I can't complete a check disk and it uses 2,901,000K of memory on a 4GB system. Tell me that I'm not doing a set of Theatrics!

Has someone tried this on a computer with 2gb or even 1gb to see how it ends up?

I ran it on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Virtual Machine (under VMware Workstation 6.5) - it used up about 540MB RAM for the chkdsk process. I think the VM only had 1.5GB allocated to it, but it took physical memory usage up to about 95% so was definitely near to maxing it out. If I'd allocated 4GB to the VM I've no doubt it would have ate enough to take it up to 95% still.

I am using version 15.35 of my chipset drivers, the latest available so I don't buy that for a second. Especially seeing as under the same circumstances in Vista you don't get this issue. Not to mention high data throughput doesn't automatically equal high memory usage.

Also, my Laptop has an ATI chipset, and my desktop an nVidia chipset, I see you have and others that are experiencing this have an Intel chipset as well, so please tell me what exactly is the common link here? Are you telling me that 3 different chipsets from 3 different manufacturers ALL have bugs in them that cause the same memory issue, in exactly the same set of circumstance, even with different brands, sizes, and speeds of hard drives? please.

I agree I have 2 nVidia chipsets doing this and also on my Intel Chipset MacBook.

Just as a additional FYI this issue is present in WinPE when booting directly from the Windows 7 DVD also and I have photos of the proof coming soon.

Just to clarify something to everyone, we are still using drivers that are either beta, or designed to work with a different operating system (Vista), so this could be very well a chipset problem, but we'll have to see as Microsoft look more into the problem.

couldn't reproduce it on my machine and when was last time i actually ran chkdsk with /r ? umm.... maybe in the win9x age?

Seeing as chkdsk wasn't in Windows 9x that may have been rather difficult :p

Yeap, confirmed here too, though I wouldn't necessarily call it a showstopper bug :p

No, not a showstopper. Kind of like the old Marx Brothers joke: "Doc, it hurts when I do this..."

"Then don't do that!"

I'm pretty sure I can go a day or two without running chkdsk until a patch is applied.

BTW, is this present in both x86 and x64?