Chkdsk bug in Windows 7 RTM Build 7600.16385/16399

This is a pretty serious bug, however, in my opinion not serious enough to cause a re-packaging of the RTM code. It can easily be fixed through windows update.

You are forgetting that while yes this can be easily patched through Windows Update this issue is also present if you boot from the disc and use command prompt to run "chkdsk". In my opinion if this issue is present when booting from the disc it is enough to require a recompile of the RTM code or at least have the patch implimented into the DVD so that it is not present in WinPE when booting from the disc.

Connect is closed to bug submissions now for Windows 7.... have to get to MS other ways now, anything that goes to connect wil get to no one

I posted a topic a few days ago in the Microsoft Office 2010 Technical Preview to have them forward to the Windows Engineering Team. I have not had any replies in regards to it, so I don't know whats going on.

I posted a topic a few days ago in the Microsoft Office 2010 Technical Preview to have them forward to the Windows Engineering Team. I have not had any replies in regards to it, so I don't know whats going on.

Someone posted in the Windows 7 Tech Beta newsgroups about the bug (with a link to this specific thread). A Microsoft employee has followed up indicating that they are aware of the issue and are looking into it.

Edited by Aeden

Just give it time guys, I think MS has the time to work in a patch or a updated build for the DVD versions.

I mean, if you're getting your copy from MS's servers via download, they can just slip in the update/fix into the ISO.

As for DVDs, are they giving those out now or on Oct when GA hits? If it's in Oct, then loads of time to get new discs out. I think they haven't even started pressing them yet probably.

How many of you are running Microsoft Security Essentials?

I'd like any of you who are willing to try running CHKDSK with the "Scan and attempt recovery of bad sectors" option enabled from Windows Explorer to please do so, and post here if Windows Explorer crashes.

i really don't see that this is that much of a problem. I didn't have to use chkdsk /r with vista at all. I won't need it with 7. that's reallly only good for windows2000 and xp. It's also made to do that by design. I think this is really making a mountain out of a mole hill.

From the Microsoft Connect forums for Office 2010 in regards to the "chkdsk" bug.

Try reproducing this bug before complaining. I haven't been able to

and neither has Microsoft. Keep in mind Neowin gets news very quickly

but that comes at a downside. News postings can be modified and

rectified as more information comes out. The "more information that

came out" indicates that this bug is not a showstopper. It's is not

critical because first it doesn't happen very often, even MIcrosoft

cannot reproduce the bug, and second, no data is being corrupted or

lost. If you need to chkdsk, do it from the recovery CD, not from

windows. I mean it'll be so much easier doing from the recovery

environment because you don't have to dismount the drive you want to

check. It's a non-issue that isn't urgent. Let me ask you, have you

tried reproducing this bug? You'll help the windows engineering team

more by reproducing it and providing instructions on how to reproduce

it rather than ranting about it on here. I'm sure they already know

about it.

-Geo

So, did anyone hear, DailyTech is taking credit for finding the "bug", when it clearly was not found by them!

So, did anyone hear, DailyTech is taking credit for finding the "bug", when it clearly was not found by them!

That's utter bull**** considering I was the one who started threads on 4 websites, and in every post I said that it was mikerolsonw7c from Windows7Center that found the bug.

I just installed windows 7 from msdn. I can confirm that if you do a thorough chkdsk it uses all the memory except 100 megs. That isn't a bug. You would only do a thorough chkdsk if you thought your hard drive was failing. It's been years since i've needed to do one. This will be a nonissue for 99% of the people out there

however, when I stopped the chkdsk the memory wasn't freed and I couldnt use my drive, forcing a reboot. THAT is a bug.

Damn dude! Your mem usage on Task Manager is funky! You have a comma out of place. It looked like u were using 60GB! "chkdsk.exe Admin 00 60,06,612K Check Disk Utility" LOL It should be like this then 6,006,612K.

Hey, I've changed the Regional Settings to English (India) that's why. lol :D

Well its confirmed on my system and Im running Windows 7 RC x64, had 1 explorer crash already and its chillin at 10% of stage 4 completed and my memory usage is 7.62 GB out of 8 with dskchk.exe using 7,035,092 K of memory screen shot attached

post-27264-1249792025_thumb.jpg

The memory use is intended; the crashes aren't.

The same "feature" has been found on Server 2008 R2. Now, imagine a server stops or crawls due to lack of ram during chkdsk /r

The same "feature" has been found on Server 2008 R2. Now, imagine a server stops or crawls due to lack of ram during chkdsk /r

Which has been discussed already, who in the right mind would run a chkdsk /r while running a server at the same time? Not to mention that this bug won't run on a system partition/disk unless you restart the computer etc.

If you ever get to a point where you need to chkdsk /r on a server, it should be taken out of production while the disk check is performed anyway.

However it's not just /r that causes this - even a regular chkdsk (on a non system drive of course) will cause the memory to soar, but because the check is much quicker than a full bad sector surface scan, it doesn't get a chance to go as high.