Windows 7 RTM now available on Technet and MSDN

The article lists plausible reasons though. And Microsoft hasn't officially announced they are going to do the RTM release today. All we know is they planned to release it to technet/MSDN today. But that announcement is several weeks old?

Are you just slow??? Seriously, it's like you haven't been keeping up? Win 7 has already RTM a couple weeks ago. OEMs are already testing it on their systems.

Guess this means Server 08 R2 should go up today as well. Look forward to testing how RDP goes between it and W7 machine. The changes in theory sound good.

Server 2008 R2 is apparently going RTW a "couple of weeks" after Win 7 RTW. So afraid you probably won't be seeing that today

This isn't a public release download like Beta 1 - crash; RC1 - semi-crash "I found this download link 6 hours early so neowin users that were up-to-date and didn't wait got their downloads easy and fast"

This is technet/msdn users only.

but I agree we'll see.

Are you just slow??? Seriously, it's like you haven't been keeping up? Win 7 has already RTM a couple weeks ago. OEMs are already testing it on their systems.

That's different than releasing it to Technet/MSDN customers though. If you know there is a serious flaw in the code, why unleash it on professionals who are going to do more than test installs against hardware?

I hope it happens today for those excited by the release. But I am not sure I would want to risk using it on any of my systems until they have patched the flaw.

I hope it happens today for those excited by the release. But I am not sure I would want to risk using it on any of my systems until they have patched the flaw.

Yes because God help you if your system eats up a lot of memory while you're doing a check disk on non-system drive before a patch can be released. You're right, it's not worth the risk.

Big risk, because I may accidently run chkdsk /r on a non system volume.

or you could maybe NOT do that as you know about the issue! jeez. :wacko:

It's in C:\Windows\System32 but I'd add it's a bit drastic to delete the file ;)

Just leave well alone :)

That's different than releasing it to Technet/MSDN customers though. If you know there is a serious flaw in the code, why unleash it on professionals who are going to do more than test installs against hardware?

First - do you even know what chkdsk does? Second - if yes, do you use it? Third - if yes, are you using it during peak hours or during downtime?

FYI: MS is aware of this and they deemed it as by design and if anything they are leaving it up to a 0-day Windows Update. If you are really following that blog, then read the original and what Sinofsky wrote. The point is, it's not a serious flaw and it's release is not going to be stalled.

Risk? Really, like if you answered no to any of the questions above you are going to now go chkdsk/r by mistake or just for the heck of it? You can keep waiting then, cause the patch won't come until Oct 22nd.

Big risk, because I may accidently run chkdsk /r on a non system volume.

As big a risk as accidentally running format c: on my disk.

Let's not blow this ridiculous bug out of proportion here! Good lord. You're making it sound like anyone who installs this is going to have imminent data loss and hard drive corruption. It's a bug that 99.9% of people will NEVER SEE. This is why it escaped detection in the beta cycles to begin with. Since we are aware of the bug, we can all simply "not do that" and be fine. Really, the overreaction to this is mind boggling.

Good point. I guess I could delete chkdisk to prevent it from running? Do you know where the file is stored exactly?

SFC will prevent the deletion or restore it straight back.

Let's not blow this ridiculous bug out of proportion here! Good lord. You're making it sound like anyone who installs this is going to have imminent data loss and hard drive corruption. It's a bug that 99.9% of people will NEVER SEE. This is why it escaped detection in the beta cycles to begin with. Since we are aware of the bug, we can all simply "not do that" and be fine. Really, the overreaction to this is mind boggling.

+1

Like I implied before, it's not something that just happens or that you could easily do on accident.

I'm standing by my fireplace just waiting for St. Balmer to come down the chimney. This is the best Windowmas ever!

Bit early for christmas don't you think?

You know a good way to check your disk of errors is to format it. You can't have any errors if their's no data. Format! you know you want to. Just do it, you don't need to chkdsk, everything is great. Your drive doesn't have any issues it's just tired of running XP and WANTS YOU TO FORMAT IT!!!

Like a memory leak to BSOD is anything new. If you are scared of a little memory leak and BSOD then you shouldn't be using Windows and should be on technet or msdn.

Bit early for christmas don't you think?

Christmas? What's that? This is Windowsmas. Everyone knows that this isn't actually the day Windows was born but as long as we keep the true spirit in our hearts I think Balmer will approve.

Just wandering what time it will be released?

Seeing as Microsoft is on the west coast, I would wait until 3pm EST.

That is noon here on the other side. If it not posted by then, then I would post a question in the forums

Yes because God help you if your system eats up a lot of memory while you're doing a check disk on non-system drive before a patch can be released. You're right, it's not worth the risk.

lolz...

I'm wondering, is this just a kind of "MS haters" thing? People desperately wanting this product to fail?

This bug does not appear consistently. It does not damage a system. A user has to go out of his way to create the conditions where this bug MIGHT appear, and the bug occurs in a diagnostic tool (as opposed, say, to a frequently-used end user app), under a certain specific condition.

How is this a "showstopper", exactly?

Christmas? What's that? This is Windowsmas. Everyone knows that this isn't actually the day Windows was born but as long as we keep the true spirit in our hearts I think Balmer will approve.

What is this - a Seinfeld episode? Windowsmas for the rest of us? Hahaa

I'm standing by my fireplace just waiting for St. Balmer to come down the chimney. This is the best Windowmas ever!

Good to see Crack is still easy to get hold of