[Feedback needed] Atlas, the next version of Neowin

It looks way to narrow! The content should fill most of the screen, not just 1/3 of it.

I've just checked it with the current front page and forums and the content is exactly the same width. Not only that but it also happens to be perfect for the size of my monitor and the width of my windows. If it was any wider I'd have to maximise my windows in order to see all the content. The developers do have to cater for all of us you know ;)

I've just checked it with the current front page and forums and it is exactly the same width. Not only that but it also happens to be perfect for the size of my monitor and the width of my windows. If it was any wider I'd have to maximise my windows in order to see all the content. The developers do have to cater for all of us you know ;)

True but it doesn't need to be done with fixed widths. As long as it has the resize thing like the current thing does I won't mind. BTW, the theme looks awesome!

True but it doesn't need to be done with fixed widths. As long as it has the resize thing like the current thing does I won't mind. BTW, the theme looks awesome!

This was already discussed earlier in the thread, go back read why they are doing this

True but it doesn't need to be done with fixed widths. As long as it has the resize thing like the current thing does I won't mind. [...]

I agree that fluid websites are better for all, but this has been discussed earlier in the thread, as Phantom Helix? said, so if you read up on what was said and then post any opinions/suggestions, I'm sure a developer will respond to anything you have to say on the matte:):)

On my 30" 2560x1600 it's almost unbearably narrow, it's only a very small fraction of the screen - surely you could "widen" it a bit.

How many pixels is "a bit?" Very, very few people have a screen your size and as I say, the width of the front page is currently perfect for me. If the developers made it much wider, it would be annoying for me to use. I rarely maximise my windows and I don't need to for any other website I visit, so why should Neowin be an exception?

I think I'd miss the News Archive at the bottom, since I sometimes check that after not being able to check Neowin for a few days. Otherwise, it looks great.

That seems to be there for me still and it even displays the number of pages, which is more information than is shown on the current front page. I have attached a screenshot; is that what you are referring to?

post-194916-1253280724_thumb.png

Looking great fellas!

My suggestions are - please use the logo as was mentioned in the first page, it looks waaay better and more refined then the one used in the Infinity theme.

I I think the mouse-out's for the main menu are too dark.

Lastly, please center the bottom footer :)

Made a mockup myself using Tom W's pic to explain what I mean.

Original

download.php?file=post-98-1253262063.jpg&name=darkblue.JPG

Mockup

80736_example_122_14lo.jpg

All I did was changed the logo to the better looking one, and added a 50% brightness to the menu links. I think it looks better :)

Content wise, its looking great!

I like the layout, but the colors are a little too gray for my tastes; I love the blue of the current theme.

No promises, but color themes are controlled via css. So we could do a Finity color scheme in a matter or minutes. We'll prob launch with 3~ colors, then add some later after all the bugs/tweaks are done.

I don't like the font in many places :/ but colors are good. The "baby blue" is not that bad. :p

A comment about wrapping content to the width of the window as opposed to a static size:

I could be wrong, but perhaps that static size is there to minimize the amount of horizontal scanning done by our eyes. Less eye work = we're able to read articles faster without the possibly of losing your spot in the article.

On the forums, it's probably less of a big deal as most of the time, forum posts don't contain a lot of text.

:rofl: at the checkmarks and crosses on logos

Pfft...haven't you seen Audioboxer's posts? :p

I don't understand everyone's comments about the font. It's the exact same font we're using on the site at the moment, and there have been no complaints about that.