[Feedback needed] Atlas, the next version of Neowin

DO WANT THIS THEME!

==============

On a less.. lolcat note, the tags bit should probably be below the story (a la wordpress style), having the tags under the title next to the author name isn't entirely intuitive IMO. Even if you don't move the tags, you should probably put "Tags: Tag1, Tag2, Tag3" instead of just "Tag1, Tag2, Tag3".

I think a public beta is definitely in order :yes:

They should use the standards that ALL browsers support so that EVERYONE gets the same experience when browsing Neowin, segmenting the site users by using elements that not all browsers can render smacks of using iframes back in the 90s that only ever worked properly in IE.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic here. At what point do you stop supporting everything? IE6? IE5.5? Firefox 1? There's obviously a limit.

In any case, it might be wise to withhold judgement of the skin with non-rounded corners until you've seen the skin with non-rounded corners.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic here. At what point do you stop supporting everything? IE6? IE5.5? Firefox 1? There's obviously a limit.

In any case, it might be wise to withhold judgement of the skin with non-rounded corners until you've seen the skin with non-rounded corners.

Well you could decide it by what are part of the current finalized web standards, and not the work in progress ones.

as I believe the rounded corners are part of the still not finished CSS3.

That or at least stick to making a site that looks the same in the latest version of all major browsers. if you can't make it looks the same, then your design and/or code is bad.

The CSS3 Backgrounds and Borders module is pretty much finished, it's coming up to last call status and then it's a recommendation.

No spec is ever really "finalised", so waiting for that means you'll be waiting forever (CSS2.1 is still being updated)

The CSS3 Backgrounds and Borders module is pretty much finished, it's coming up to last call status and then it's a recommendation.

No spec is ever really "finalised", so waiting for that means you'll be waiting forever (CSS2.1 is still being updated)

How come below at the footer, it shows Powered by Ignition?

Anyways I love the new theme, I can't wait.

How come below at the footer, it shows Powered by Ignition?

Anyways I love the new theme, I can't wait.

Nah, Ignition is the backend, Atlas is the front end (layout designy stuff)

Hope that helps :yes:

Can we Please stop the ***ching about how it looks in whatever browser?

Why don't you try to open a webpage from South Korea in any browser other than IE and see what happens, then you can direct your lame attitude towards SK for not making their websites work for other browsers outside of IE

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Certain Opera and IE users feel oppressed/discriminated I suppose.

Personally I support the developers' opinion on this. As a leading technology site Neowin should be among the first to support web standards instead of resorting to browser-specific hacks.

It's not like the IE/Opera version of the site looks totally horrible (see also Neobond's screenshot above).

What I can't beleive is people are having a cry over something that unless you really payed attention to it, wouldnt even bother you in the first place.

How many of you are going to spend your time on Neowin looking at the corners in IE instead of looking at what the site has to offer in terms of news, articles and/or interviews?

The site could look horrible like it did when it was first conceived (sorry Steve, but it did :p ) but did anyone care? NO - we came because of the content.

Seriously guys, grow up. Corners or not, Neowin is the best tech site on the internet. It's free, it has the best community on the internet as well. If you guys are going to squabble over something that is so remotely not even half interesting, then you have to ask yourself, why are you using a browser that doesn't support web standards anyway on a tech news site?

We all love IE, or at least used to. But now, we have Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and other browsers on the market now which DO support the latest web standards. So I say this to everyone complaining to the devs to make rounded corners work in IE and Opera...

"TOO BAD"

For the devs, awesome work. Everything looks great, even in IE and Opera.

For the complainers, time to complain to MS and the makers of Opera and get them to get with the times and implement a update that does support the latest web standards.

My two cents

:)

I agree with the devs. As a web developer myself, I know it's infuriating to have to put in all the extra markup and CSS hacks just to get something as simple as a drop shadow or rounded corner working in IE or Opera.

Simpler markup also makes the website more accessible for the disabled because screen readers have a much easier time with it. Just look at the way the iPhone 3GS does screen reading: it goes element by element, so if there are links inside of divs inside of unordered lists, it's going to take a very long time to get to the important information in that hierarchy, where as the new markup would go right along the list with ease.

First thing I'm gonna do in Firefox is create a Stylish script to disable rounded corners ^^ IE8 version with square stuff looks extremely clean and professional.

Is it viewable like we can choose our neowin home page style?

No, only that you can choose different colors like Midnight and Green. The other (older/current) themes won't be supported

A while back I thought they confirmed that the new Neowin would have Facebook connect.

It's planned. There are issues with IPB3's implementation of Connect at the moment that are to be resolved, but we're hoping that their bug fixes should get things to the stability level we require.