iTunes 9

This is awesome. iTunes has the only library that can actually sort my music the way I want it sorted! I like the new UI, it looks really nice on Windows 7 compared to the last version. I really don't like the scrollbar at all, but it's the same as the Mac version so at least they're consistent. My mouse wheel actually works to scroll through my library now now without having to have Intellipoint installed. If I can have it running for a while without it ****ing up the sound (previous versions would cause the sound on all apps across the system to develop a horrible crackling sound over time that could only be solved by rebooting) then Apple will have fixed all the issues I had with iTunes 8 and this will be my default audio player, at least until Winamp gets a more modern library plugin or Songbird gets CAD support.

You will be awaiting a long time my friend! :(

imo its the other way around. but either way i'm happy for the windows 7 integration. :)

I'd have to agree... WMP 12 is great on Windows 7, as it has integration with the OS much like iTunes has on Mac OS X. WMP 12 also lets me drag in my music from anywhere. I don't have to rely on iTunes to manage the folder structure for me.

On Windows, WMP > iTunes. Your mileage may vary, though.

White has always been Apple's signature color, so that's probably why they've changed to white. Cover Flow on the iPod nano has always had white background, too.

Whilst Cover Flow on the iPod touch and iPhone has always had a black background. Other UI elements have also had a grey-ish/black background (e.g. the new microphone and FM radio features on the new iPod nano).

I really can't believe the inconsistencies the new iTunes 9 brings, on both Mac and Windows. Safari 4 got a nice update to its interface earlier this year, but Apple looked at that and thought "Nah, we'll make iTunes different, even though on Macs all of our software is consistent with regards to UI" :no:

The Zune software is still light years ahead, in my opinion; both features and looks. It'll be interesting to see what Tuesday's update holds. Microsoft have basically stated many new features will be included.

Whilst Cover Flow on the iPod touch and iPhone has always had a black background. Other UI elements have also had a grey-ish/black background (e.g. the new microphone and FM radio features on the new iPod nano).

I really can't believe the inconsistencies the new iTunes 9 brings, on both Mac and Windows. Safari 4 got a nice update to its interface earlier this year, but Apple looked at that and thought "Nah, we'll make iTunes different, even though on Macs all of our software is consistent with regards to UI" :no:

The Zune software is still light years ahead, in my opinion; both features and looks. It'll be interesting to see what Tuesday's update holds. Microsoft have basically stated many new features will be included.

I agree with you that iTunes has never seemed to look consistent on Mac OS X. When Tiger was around, iTunes 5 was released with the "unified" theme. And then later on it gained the matte-style scrollbars. Then it gained dark elements before they became popular with Leopard. And now iTunes 9 brings back the old glossy feel of earlier Mac OS X releases.

It seems that Apple likes to do all of its UI experiments with iTunes. The new sidebar of iTunes 7, for example, eventually found its way into Leopard. The Cover Flow of iTunes founds its way into Leopard and Quick Look. The matte-style scrollbars of iTunes 5/6 landed in the iWork and iLife suites. Thus, perhaps iTunes 9 is an early preview of UI changes coming in Mac OS X 10.7?

Ironically they finally brought the drop shadow effect to the windows variant, only to square the window edges and destroy the overall pleasant interface.

I like most of the UI, except for the gradient in the header. It stares at you, unlike the subtle grey one on other windows.

If it was system wide on OS X, it might grow on me. But it isn't.

I love the UI in iTunes 9. I wish the entire OS was like that with the release of Snow Leopard!

This look could be adopted for Mac OS X 10.7. Like I said earlier, iTunes tends to get new UI concepts before any other Apple application.

That's pretty nice. I know that Safari 4 for Windows 7 makes use of the new Taskbar APIs, too. Maybe Apple has more respect for Microsoft than I thought.

Maybe Microsoft should start offering the same courtesy to Mac users.

Maybe Microsoft should start offering the same courtesy to Mac users.

I would say they do. Office 2008 works pretty well, and there are issues with Spaces that have been largely fixed with Snow Leopard.

This look could be adopted for Mac OS X 10.7. Like I said earlier, iTunes tends to get new UI concepts before any other Apple application.

Which is a bit annoying because by the time 10.7 come out iTunes will be using something new...

I would say they do. Office 2008 works pretty well, and there are issues with Spaces that have been largely fixed with Snow Leopard.

But then again you have to pay a fair amount of money for Microsoft Office 2008, so it is what you would expect. On the other hand, let's take a look at their free products: Messenger and Windows Media support.

Of course the Zune Software is a shining example of consistency on Windows XP, Vista and 7.

Terrible first impressions from iTunes 9... slow as hell, two seconds to open something from the menu bar... and it shouldn't be. I7 920, 6 gigs, gtx 285... uninstalled it right away.

Of course the Zune Software is a shining example of consistency on Windows XP, Vista and 7.

It isn't and neither I nor anybody else said it was. The point I was getting at is that Apple are usually consistent when it comes to interface design; Microsoft aren't. If you saw a post of mine in another thread, you would have seen me express my discontent at the fact Microsoft are not consistent with the design of their applications, however, because they are never consistent, using a couple of their programs doesn't bother me. If I was using Safari 4 and iTunes 9, I would be bothered because Apple are usually pretty consistent in regards to the design of their applications.

WTF... not quicktime X in this version? we all screwed 10.5.8 users.

Quicktime X is not just a player it is everything under the hood as well and most of that relies on SL

The iTunes Movie Player GUI OS X version looks pretty cool, it looks like part of Quicktime X.

No it doesn't, not on 10.5.8 anyway

It does however have the OSD controls from QTX on SL

Also what the hell is up with the shopping cart being turned into a wishlist?

post-24918-1252532132_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phantom Helix

It isn't and neither I nor anybody else said it was. The point I was getting at is that Apple are usually consistent when it comes to interface design; Microsoft aren't. If you saw a post of mine in another thread, you would have seen me express my discontent at the fact Microsoft are not consistent with the design of their applications, however, because they are never consistent, using a couple of their programs doesn't bother me. If I was using Safari 4 and iTunes 9, I would be bothered because Apple are usually pretty consistent in regards to the design of their applications.

It's been clear since iTunes' initial release that Apple doesn't want iTunes to be consistent with the rest of Mac OS' interface. We can keep complaining about it every single time the company puts out a new major version, but after nine releases it should be obvious that it's just a waste of breath.

Interesting, it created an auto-add folder after I upgraded to ?iTunes Media organization?. Anything in the folder is automatically added to my iTunes library now.

fji1qp.png

I'm not seeing this, are you sure it isn't another program?

Already got iTunes 9, downloading the firmware update at about 1.8 MB/s, but I am going to hold off installing until redsn0w is updated.

As for iTunes, although I only really use it to sync, the interface changes are nice, but its disappointing that it still takes so long to launch on Windows