iTunes 9

1. The white blinds me and the goggles do nothing!

2. The icon refreshes in the sidebar are gorgeous.

3. Nice to see iTunes U get proper support.

4. Why the hell are Music Videos STILL not a separate category?!?!

5. Expanded syncing options are wonderful.

6. Alehlujah to app management within iTunes!!!

7. Download progress in the LCD is a nice touch.

8. Overall the refinements to the UI elements are nice, but OS X needs too look the same :/

9. Genius mixes are great.

10. LOVE the new layout for the iTunes Store.

I all honestly I don't get why Apple would release a new interface like this 11 days after releasing a new Mac OS X version. It makes Snow Leopard look dated in comparison. :/

I don't get it. Major improvements in some areas and somewhat major steps back in other areas (UI colors and non-rounded window edges? scratching my head over that choice..)

I like iTunes 9 overall though.. it definitely feels faster :)

I bet you're running 64-bit, right? Here's a solution to the sync problems with the shuffle I found. I'm Steeley...I'd like to be again on here again but I used my two goes with one being a typo lol.

I am already doing that way

screenshot20090910at004.png

Ah. I don't know what iTunes has done to my library but this folder is 3 subdirectories under my music folder, with tons of artist folders under each of those directories. :blink:

It's been clear since iTunes' initial release that Apple doesn't want iTunes to be consistent with the rest of Mac OS' interface. We can keep complaining about it every single time the company puts out a new major version, but after nine releases it should be obvious that it's just a waste of breath.

You are completely right, but whilst complaining probably won't get us anywhere, neither will not complaining; thus, I choose to complain :D I find it appalling that they choose to make only iTunes inconsistent, so whilst they maintain this inconsistency, I don't mind wasting my breath by complaining.

Im loving iTunes on both the Mac and Windows 7, liking the UI etc.. and the better sync options for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

However i have a strange quirk on my mac, i haven't tried this on my windows computer yet.

I have a playlist of Music videos which i listen to / watch, generally these are iPhone resolution, which has never been a problem on the mac as i press the apple key + 3 to make them fill the screen. Usually this is only needed once when first setting up iTunes. However im finding that after every music video is finished and a new one begins, the new video plays in it's org resolution and is not stretched.

Also sometimes the spacebar doesn't register with itunes if the video / song playing is in a seperate window, so it won't pause or unpause, iTunes is focused and so is the video. However pausing works if the video is playing within itunes.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not since its not that important but I noticed the MP3 file thumbnails for iTunes and other iTunes associated files now are larger (as in they work when you use large or extra large icons in windows) instead of the old tiles or medium icon size with a horrible square box around it.

I actually think that this is a welcome update for me, I'm liking the new style and it suits my tastes better.

It still has rounded corners on XP btw :)

You are completely right, but whilst complaining probably won't get us anywhere, neither will not complaining; thus, I choose to complain :D I find it appalling that they choose to make only iTunes inconsistent, so whilst they maintain this inconsistency, I don't mind wasting my breath by complaining.

Knock yourself out. (Y)

Ah. I don't know what iTunes has done to my library but this folder is 3 subdirectories under my music folder, with tons of artist folders under each of those directories. :blink:

Yea, I'm getting the same thing. I've noticed that some of the music has album art that's at the top level of my iTunes Music folder, and then the rest is placed around their proper folders. Weird.

Edit: I just cleaned out my iTunes Music folder, and it looks exactly the same except with the addition of a few extra folders that, I think, are supposed to be there.

Edited by Elliott

Well I probably shouldn't be posting since I just got iTunes two weeks ago and updated to 9 last night but oh well. :p

The refreshed UI looks great and I can't wait to play around with app mangement on iTunes instead of the actual iPod itself. Other than that I didn't have too much time to play around. Supposedly the genius mixes are even better although they already have been great on my previous version of iTunes.

It may just be me, but I think in iTunes 8 on Mac OS X, when clicking the maximise button it would activate the Mini Player, but now in v9 it just resizes the window?

iTunes_Music-20090910-191740.jpg

Yea, that's new. The mini player is accessed by going to View > Switch to Mini Player.

post-17580-1252607220.png

Yea, that's new. The mini player is accessed by going to View > Switch to Mini Player.

Looks like I will just have to use the keyboard shortcut, was handy the other way.

I hate the white background, it hurts my eyes! My living room is not very well lit to being with to make for better TV viewing but iTunes lights it up like a damn halogen at full screen. Another thing I don't like is the missing size adjustment slider when viewing thumbnails. When you don't have thousands of albums, like me, the smaller thumbnails make it look a bit pathetic.

The new iTunes Store looks very nice and is definitely faster. The new app management control panel is nice too, but why did they move the photos tab way down to the right? Shouldn't it be next to music and movies?

4. Why the hell are Music Videos STILL not a separate category?!?!

I guess because they are videos of "MUSIC." Apple must consider them as "enhanced" music releases, instead of true standalone videos.

It doesn't make sense to me, either.

those of you (on mac) who want the old itunes UI back, go here!

http://macthemes2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16798980

Hmm... That's a pretty good mod. But after a day or so, I'm pretty much used to the new look of iTunes 9, and I really don't think it's that bad at all. iTunes has never really fit in with Mac OS X, anyway, since it seems to be the breeding ground for new UI ideas.