Ubuntu on a network?

Hey Danny, Dont stop asking questions here. I read your other posts and some of them are ok. But please dont come to a tech site and say "Oh you dont need security" Especially in this day and age and expect not to get laughed out of the room (Forum). If you think about it this way, What if you said to your boss "You dont need any security" What do u recon s/he would say to that? . . .

I dont really know why I said that as I know my self that security is needed, but im not sure why I said that. I will install clarkconnect again and if I run into any problems again i will post. Thanks

Thanks James. I think i am just going to go with this firewall: http://smoothwall.org/ for ubuntu. Ubuntu seems easy to manage, and I will be reading some tutorials on security before i put it into the network.

A question, since everything is already set up the whole network with the old server, what would i have to do when i connect it to the ubuntu one? Just allow ubuntu to share and thats it? I dont have to configure any ip's etc...

Danny --- Again I have to wonder if you have even bothered to look at CC at all? It has a Firewall built in for you if you want to use it as your gateway.. Are you going to use this ubuntu box as your gateway? As a proxy, what?? Smoothwall does not install/run on ubuntu -- it its own standalone firewall/gateway distro.. Ie it not a module or addon for a ubuntu server -- its own Distro, like Pfsense or IPcop, etc.. Designed to be the firewall/gateway on your network. It wipes out everything on the box other than smoothwall when you install it.

You already have a router for a firewall at your gateway! Did you want to replace your router with a PC firewall/gateway -- are you then going to run another box as your file server/ web server / ftp server / etc..??

CC can be your all in one box -- ie it can run as your gateway/firewall and provide you all the features your soho needs.. Or it can run as just standalone.. If your going to use it as your gateway as well it also has IDS (intrusion detection), along with a webfiltering and bandwidth monitoring if you want. etc.. etc.. etc..

Danny --- Again I have to wonder if you have even bothered to look at CC at all? It has a Firewall built in for you if you want to use it as your gateway.. Are you going to use this ubuntu box as your gateway? As a proxy, what?? Smoothwall does not install/run on ubuntu -- it its own standalone firewall/gateway distro.. Ie it not a module or addon for a ubuntu server -- its own Distro, like Pfsense or IPcop, etc.. Designed to be the firewall/gateway on your network. It wipes out everything on the box other than smoothwall when you install it.

THat was exactly my thoughts, Couldnt have put it better myself. Ok BudMan maybe he just doesnt like the idea of using CC, Although it does seem to fit the bill for what he wants to do. However it might boil down to personal preference at the end of the day and we cant force him to use CC. However I think there are fundamental issues with this guy using any sort if Linux on this network. As we all know theres much more of a steep learning curve with using Linux.

Danny you need to understand the network topology of your network first, Get the fundamentals right first. For example where each device sits on your network and what its doing there and why you have it there, The difference between a switch/hub/router and firewall is critical for example. I would say that your firewall will sit between your internet connection and your local LAN. Get your IP Addressing structure sorted out. Then you can get onto choosing the product best suited for the job. Smoothwall is good, Run it on seperate hardware though than your server as BudMan pointed out.

Im just itching to get into this enviroment and rip it apart and put things in my own way, But then again thats just me and I have a big enough challenge at work already!

And what could he possibly know about ideas?? And running that linux distro over that distro.

I suggest CC over say a standard linux distro for the FACT that its designed for the the new guy.. It has a simple use Web Interface that lays out everything in very easy to use simple on off, add user, etc.. type fashion designed specifically for a small network and everything it would need. Be it web server, file/printer server, ftp, email, firewall, IDS, content filtering, etc. etc..

Yes you can do all of these things with any linux distro -- but you have to add them, configure them -- UNDERSTAND THEM!! etc..

With CC all this has already been done, the admin really does not have to know anything to admin it ;)

Now if he would actually look at the product and then say, nah not for me going the X linux distro route that would be fine.. But from his posts It seems clear he never got past booting it and then blankly staring at the console screen that shows him status and allows to change the network settings.

From what he has posted he never even bothered to access the Web Config screen, etc. So how can he make any type of call on if the product suites his needs or not?? Shoot he thinks you can run smoothwall distro (GNU/Linux) on ubuntu? :rolleyes: Only thing I can think of he is confusing smoothwall with say shorewall??

Edited by BudMan

The hard part is getting the Ubuntu box to access shared folders on a Windows machine. No matter what permissions I set, I cannot get to shared files on my Windows 7 box.

Not sure if someone already addressed that in this thread, maybe I missed it, but in order to get samba to connect to windows7 shares you have to enable NTLMv2 support for the samba client.

Edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and look for a section that starts with [global]. Add this line anywhere in that section:

client ntlmv2 auth = yes

Save the file and voil?>, it should work now.

Or you could just change the windows 7 machine to be able to use ntlmV1 as well ;) Which might be a better option depending on what other devices might be sharing with SMB that don't support v2, etc.

Local Policies, Security Options, Network Security, LAN Manager auth levels.

You guys make this like its a HUGE network. We just have 10 computers and what ever we do on excel/word etc.. we save it on the server instead of the local computer, because we want everyone to be able to access the files. I just need something simple thats it. Security is needed but not that much. I will try clarkconnect again and will update everyone. Thanks.

'I just need something simple thats it"

Which is WHY I suggested CC, it does not get any simpler than that - it just doesn't. Its way easier to manage than SBS, and no where near the cost ;)

Its easier than just any run of the mill linux distro and then adding and configuring the parts you want to use, etc.

post-14624-1257127975.jpg

You are the type of company it was designed for -- your not going to find anything simpler or more cost effective way to provide a small company with the features larger companies enjoy with IT staffs that know what they are doing have ;)

I would be more than happy to help you get it setup, but really if just take a few minutes to read the user manual, it will walk you through all the basic stuff and you will be up an running in a few minutes.. I downloaded 5.0 since I had not played with it in a while today and had it setup for a domain in like 15 minutes with a machine joined and everything.

Here is the section your going to want to read about getting file sharing and your Domain Controller going.

http://www.clarkconnect.com/docs/Modules_-...-_Windows-Samba

Modules - File Sharing - Windows-Samba

Your going to want to setup a domain (central userbase) So you can control access to your shares, users will have their own private directories on the server, etc. etc. My only question are all your machines XP pro or home - home can not join a domain.

If you have any questions I am happy to help!

Budman,

Some are pro some are home. I dont want them to connect with a domain name and I really do not need to set any permissions. We want everyone to be able to see each others files and edit them.

Ummm... Budman is trying to tell you that Clarkconnect can do that. It can be basic. It can be advanced. And he is willing to help.

Exactly - If you want it to be just a simple file server, then sure you can do that -- without the 10 concurrent connection limit of XP

--

http://www.clarkconnect.com/docs/Modules_-...nd_Print_Server

Simple File and Print Server

If you do not require domain logon support, you can configure the system as a simple file server. When users access any resources (printers, file shares, etc) on the server, they must first login with a valid username and password.

--

But I to be honest I wold REALLY suggest you move to a central userbase, it actually makes sharing files so much easier to manage.. But if you want to keep it the way you have with a simple peer-to-peer type setup, then sure it can do that just as easy.. Whats nice is when your ready to advance to a domain, click click and now you got a domain with no added cost or real change other than joining your computers to the domain, etc.

Just because you have a domain does not mean you can not have shares that are open to all, just means you have the OPTION to set permissions how ever you want from the ease of just picking the users from a central location.

Exactly - If you want it to be just a simple file server, then sure you can do that -- without the 10 concurrent connection limit of XP

--

http://www.clarkconnect.com/docs/Modules_-...nd_Print_Server

Simple File and Print Server

If you do not require domain logon support, you can configure the system as a simple file server. When users access any resources (printers, file shares, etc) on the server, they must first login with a valid username and password.

--

But I to be honest I wold REALLY suggest you move to a central userbase, it actually makes sharing files so much easier to manage.. But if you want to keep it the way you have with a simple peer-to-peer type setup, then sure it can do that just as easy.. Whats nice is when your ready to advance to a domain, click click and now you got a domain with no added cost or real change other than joining your computers to the domain, etc.

Just because you have a domain does not mean you can not have shares that are open to all, just means you have the OPTION to set permissions how ever you want from the ease of just picking the users from a central location.

Thanks a lot BudMan! BTW Whats your real name? Im at work now, and I will try to get another PC were I can test ClarkConnect, because i dont want to mess with the current one :). Also BudMan, after i set up clarkconnect, I plug in the ethernet cable and then would I have to configure anything? Also I am not familiar with how CC works, so were would I place all the files is it going to be like in win were we place them in the c: drive my documents etc...

Thanks again.

Danny READ the quick start guide -- out of the box CC can just use dhcp just like all your other machines, from your router. Or you can manually setup its IP.

Unless your going to use it as your gateway (replace your router) then I would just either let it be dhcp like the rest of your clients - or assign it an IP outside your scope.

I have to hope that you have looked up what an IP address is by now???? Its been weeks where you have been paid for being in charge of network -- and you don't know how to even setup a IP or what they are??? Come ON!!!!!

People are paying you to run their network!! Do SOMETHING!!

You need another PC to test with -- since install CC will wipe out everything on the machine.. You could do some manual partitioning etc. to say bypass a drive or something.. But out of the box its going to wipe the drive your install too, etc.. So yeah a Different PC is a must!!

Budman,

I just spoke to my boss, and he says he wants to do the change, but not now for some reason. So currently we are stuck with Windows Xp pro as our server. Basically I will cut off 2 people off the network which should help the situation a bit with users getting kicked off, not being able to get in etc.. Any suggestions on how I can improve the network?

It doesnt sound like the network thats the problem. You say that there is 10 connection limits in XP Pro and you have 10 users on your network? Whats the problem . . .