Ubuntu on a network?

Post a screen shot of the network connections on your server.

Here I just made one as an example for you.

post-14624-1257365843.jpg

In a nutshell -- right click the bridge and select delete

untitled.jpg

What does a network bridge do and why is it there?

Also the reason why the server has wireless, is because every computer here was connected wirelessly to the network. I didnt think that was possible :s.

GAWD this is staring to get really freaking old.. Danny I think maybe the guy before you was even more clueless when it comes to networking than you are ;) If that is even possible ;) hehehe

You do NOT need that bridge -- does not matter if you had a wireless router or not.. Clients that used wireless or wired would still be on the same network that 192.168.1.0/24 that your currently on.

A bridge is a way to JOIN networks together or join networks that use different media types together, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_bridge

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...e.mspx?mfr=true

Network Bridge overview

You have NO use for this -- NONE!!! Sure it "COULD" be used to connect a wired to a wireless network together if you did not have a wireless router, accesspoint, etc. -- You would have to setup a ad-hoc wireless network for the other wireless to connect to on the xp box bridging the connections.

Or it could be used as a way to join a wireless network that was not connected to your wired network at all, etc.. etc.. But these kinds of things are so far beyond where your network there is no point in discussing their possible uses or possible benefits or drawbacks, etc..

If you have a wireless router -- then you could have wireless clients, sure your server could even be one, etc.. But you have NO need to bridge the same network together - NONE!!! And sure it could be used to connect 2 wired networks together, but again you have NO use for this --- NONE!!!! You have 1 freaking switch and 10 PCs ;)

Delete the Network Bridge you see there - You currently have the 2 wired interfaces bridged together??? Gawd this guy before you must of been a real moron!!! according to that shot -- both of your wired interfaces are gig.. So doe not matter which one you remove - if both are addon cards flip a coin!

Also you have no use for server to be connected to a wireless network -- so disable that wireless card.. Remove it if you want. As I have stated over and over again you only need 1 connection to the network.

So DELETE that bridge -- then pick a card to remove, unplug its cable and then disable/remove the wireless card.

Finally! It took me around 4 hours to complete this. I tracked every wire, I labeled, I removed all the old ones (there were a lot), removed the d-link and NOW everything looks much better :). Before and after pictures below:

Before:

picture.jpg

After:

200911052b14.jpg

So whats next :).

Much nicer!!! -- and looks like you got plenty of room for growth as well. So you removed that bridge and wireless from your server?

Well I would say your next step would be to replace your XP box server with something that for one does not have the 10 connection limit that XP has.

This could be CC, it could be any linux distro running samba, its could be microsoft SBS, or it could be windows server os 2k3, 2k8 with the correct number of cals to allow for how many clients you have. CC or linux would be the cheaper method.

I would also suggest you get it on some atleast entry level server hardware with either a good UPS or dual power supplies and Raid for your hard drives. So loss of single disk will not force you to pull files from backup.

Then you need to tackle your backup solution -- see a pretty good opportunity there for COST Savings!

Other projects would depend -- how are you keeping your antivirus software up to date? How are you keeping the machines patched? How are you installing software on machines? One of the advantages of going with windows server OS would being able to leverage Group Policy for either software distribution, ability to run WSUS on the server for patch management of machines.

What are you doing for email? Do users have shard calenders, contacts? etc. etc. Prob lots of room for improvement there. Does not matter if you use a samba based domain or MS AD, this would give you the ability to better control file access and managed shares, etc.

At some point you might want to look into ability to filter internet or atleast control bandwidth, etc. So you might want to look into using something else as your gateway vs just a soho router.

Im sure there is plenty to do to keep you busy for quite some time to come ;)

edit: Removing the BRIDGE will not screw up anything.. Do you still have 2 wires running from the server or just 1 -- if just one then your NOT bridging anything anyway.. REMOVE IT!!! It serves no purpose!!! Your just bridging traffic from the switch, back to the switch ;) You only have 1 switch -- right! And remove that wireless card from your server as well!!

Well when it comes time we will replace it. I told him about the backups he said just leave it how it is for now, until we make a plan what we are going to change etc.. Antivirus is always up to date, our email system is from a hosting company everything works well there. We use outlook and we have everything organized, calendars, contacts etc. Also what do you mean by monitoring bandwidth? I mean i know what bandwidth is, but what does that have to do with the network. Another HUGE problem I am having is connecting to the server. It does not happen all the time, but it happens often. I keep on clicking on the icon and cannot get in. It keeps on giving me an error and i have to try like 5 - 6 times to get in. For example if I am talking on the phone and I need to pull up something sometimes it can take 15 minutes to get in the server. Once you are in its fine, but until you get in its crazy. Also the thing is the 10 connection limit was not reached yet.

Much nicer!!! -- and looks like you got plenty of room for growth as well. So you removed that bridge and wireless from your server?

Well I would say your next step would be to replace your XP box server with something that for one does not have the 10 connection limit that XP has.

This could be CC, it could be any linux distro running samba, its could be microsoft SBS, or it could be windows server os 2k3, 2k8 with the correct number of cals to allow for how many clients you have. CC or linux would be the cheaper method.

I would also suggest you get it on some atleast entry level server hardware with either a good UPS or dual power supplies and Raid for your hard drives. So loss of single disk will not force you to pull files from backup.

Then you need to tackle your backup solution -- see a pretty good opportunity there for COST Savings!

Other projects would depend -- how are you keeping your antivirus software up to date? How are you keeping the machines patched? How are you installing software on machines? One of the advantages of going with windows server OS would being able to leverage Group Policy for either software distribution, ability to run WSUS on the server for patch management of machines.

What are you doing for email? Do users have shard calenders, contacts? etc. etc. Prob lots of room for improvement there. Does not matter if you use a samba based domain or MS AD, this would give you the ability to better control file access and managed shares, etc.

At some point you might want to look into ability to filter internet or atleast control bandwidth, etc. So you might want to look into using something else as your gateway vs just a soho router.

Im sure there is plenty to do to keep you busy for quite some time to come ;)

edit: Removing the BRIDGE will not screw up anything.. Do you still have 2 wires running from the server or just 1 -- if just one then your NOT bridging anything anyway.. REMOVE IT!!! It serves no purpose!!! Your just bridging traffic from the switch, back to the switch ;) You only have 1 switch -- right! And remove that wireless card from your server as well!!

Well when it comes time we will replace it. I told him about the backups he said just leave it how it is for now, until we make a plan what we are going to change etc.. Antivirus is always up to date, our email system is from a hosting company everything works well there. We use outlook and we have everything organized, calendars, contacts etc. Also what do you mean by monitoring bandwidth? I mean i know what bandwidth is, but what does that have to do with the network. Another HUGE problem I am having is connecting to the server. It does not happen all the time, but it happens often. I keep on clicking on the icon and cannot get in. It keeps on giving me an error and i have to try like 5 - 6 times to get in. For example if I am talking on the phone and I need to pull up something sometimes it can take 15 minutes to get in the server. Once you are in its fine, but until you get in its crazy.

Yeah what has bandwidth got to do with a network :laugh: :rolleyes: From what your describing it sounds exactly like a bandwidth issue . . . Whats the error you get?

and the error you get is?

And no offense, but if you cant see what Bandwidth has to do with your network. Then well, you don't have a clear understanding of what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_%28computing%29

That should explain it pretty well. I agree with Sawyer, its possible that the issue you are experiencing when connecting could be bandwidth related.

When you are connected, where are you connecting from and are you connected via remote desktop? VNC? Or do you mean connecting to the shared folders?

Well did you remove the Bridge???

Your connection issues could be related to that asinine bridge!! Delete it!!!!! And only connected 1 interface to your switch!

and the error you get is?

And no offense, but if you cant see what Bandwidth has to do with your network. Then well, you don't have a clear understanding of what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_%28computing%29

That should explain it pretty well. I agree with Sawyer, its possible that the issue you are experiencing when connecting could be bandwidth related.

When you are connected, where are you connecting from and are you connected via remote desktop? VNC? Or do you mean connecting to the shared folders?

Thanks ill read that. I am just trying to connect from the computers in the office to the servers shared folders. Thats all we use it for.

Well did you remove the Bridge???

Your connection issues could be related to that asinine bridge!! Delete it!!!!! And only connected 1 interface to your switch!

I just removed it.

When I get the error again I will post it. It was something like resource cannot be found or something like that.

Ok it popped up on one of my PC's. So i did PRTSCN, but then i forgot to save it and rebooted the computer, so i did not save the error :(. So when we start up the PC's in the morning it does not connect. I have to reboot the computer and then go in right away, because later it wont let mein.

And the wireless card as well!! Lets see an output from your "servers" ipconfig /all and screen shot of your network interfaces again.. Only 1 nic should be enabled.

How are using trying to find the server - browsing or just run \\servername or do you have drive letters mapped?

When you get the error again, if you do - from a command prompt do

ping servername

also do net view \\servername

If you don't get a response from the ping, what does the output of arp -a show for the mac of the server?

Here you go:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\SERVER>IPCONFIG /ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SERVER
		Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
		Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
		IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
		WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
		Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/
1000Base-T Controller
		Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-60-0C-33-F7
		Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
		Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
		IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
		Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
		Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
		DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
		DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
											xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
					   xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
											xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
		Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, November 09, 2009 8:23:23 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:23:23 A
M

C:\Documents and Settings\SERVER>

untitled.jpg

They are mapped. When i go to My Computer it says Server Z and i just click on that. But usually I have shortcuts on the desktop that go directly to the folder of the person thats working on the computer.

I also ran those commands now on a working machine and below are the results. I will run them on a machine that gives me the error and will post the results here.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Daniel>ping server

Pinging server [192.168.1.101] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.101: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.101:
	Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
	Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users\Daniel>net view \\server
Shared resources at \\server

Share name  Type  Used as  Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D_DVD	   Disk
SharedDocs  Disk  Z:
The command completed successfully.

C:\Users\Daniel>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.1.112 --- 0xb
  Internet Address	  Physical Address	  Type
  xxx.254.xx.83		 00-21-00-9e-e1-d8	 dynamic
  192.168.1.1		   00-13-10-c8-e0-2c	 dynamic
  192.168.1.101		 00-1d-60-0c-33-f7	 dynamic
  192.168.1.104		 00-12-17-57-81-d5	 dynamic
  192.168.1.105		 00-18-f3-05-3c-a7	 dynamic
  192.168.1.106		 00-0c-41-65-1c-a4	 dynamic
  192.168.1.108		 02-1d-60-0c-33-f7	 dynamic
  192.168.1.113		 00-01-4a-07-31-e4	 dynamic
  192.168.1.114		 00-19-66-66-75-4b	 dynamic
  192.168.1.117		 00-12-17-57-8d-45	 dynamic
  192.168.1.121		 00-e0-18-43-22-a5	 dynamic
  192.168.1.128		 00-12-17-57-8d-24	 dynamic
  192.168.1.129		 00-12-17-57-87-ee	 dynamic
  192.168.1.131		 00-1a-92-e3-0b-4d	 dynamic
  192.168.1.132		 00-12-17-57-8d-44	 dynamic
  192.168.1.147		 00-22-15-c8-56-1a	 dynamic
  192.168.1.230		 00-80-91-4d-77-1d	 dynamic
  192.168.1.250		 00-80-91-6a-68-60	 dynamic
  192.168.1.255		 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff	 static
  224.0.0.22			01-00-5e-00-00-16	 static
  224.0.0.251		   01-00-5e-00-00-fb	 static
  224.0.0.252		   01-00-5e-00-00-fc	 static
  224.0.0.253		   01-00-5e-00-00-fd	 static
  239.255.255.250	   01-00-5e-7f-ff-fa	 static
  255.255.255.255	   ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff	 static

C:\Users\Daniel>

The one under appreciated project I find is iFolder: http://www.ifolder.com/download/

The unfortunate thing is that the server is only available on OpenSuSE but in a mixed environment - I have Macs, Windows and Linux boxes on the network, it solves the problem pretty easily.

With that being said, you could always experiment using NFS and 'Services for UNIX' on the Windows clients; the performance of NFS isn't too bad.

Ok, i just got the results from a computer that was not connecting, but this time i got a too many connections error. But in computer management in sessions it only shows 6.

C:\Documents and Settings\USER>ping server

Pinging server [192.168.1.101] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.101:
	Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
	Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Documents and Settings\USER>net view \\server
Shared resources at \\server

Share name  Type  Used as  Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D_DVD	   Disk
SharedDocs  Disk
The command completed successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\USER>

ddd.jpg

dude your ****ing ****ting me right?

Of Course you are getting that error! This is the *whole* freaking reason you even started posting here?!?!

You need to upgrade to an OS that supports more than 10 connections to the machine at a time.

I feel like we are going backwards here

:argh:

And your XP server is running PRO or Home? Home version has a limit of 5 connections not 10 like pro -- so if your saying you got the error when 6, that would point to your server box running Home?

Also Im curious how your seeing a mac address for an IP not on your network.

xxx.254.xx.83 00-21-00-9e-e1-d8 dynamic

What is this device?? You should not have IPs that are not 192.168.1 network. That makes no sense at all!

Also I see 16 IPs in your arp table that most likely are clients.. the .1 is your router --- how many machines do you have again?? I thought you only had 10.. So either you have machines with multiple IPs - BAD, Thought you cleaned up all the wiring, and remove any wireless clients when the machine had a wire. Or you have more than your 10 machines? Or you have other devices to account for the IP -- printers?

dude your ****ing ****ting me right?

Of Course you are getting that error! This is the *whole* freaking reason you even started posting here?!?!

You need to upgrade to an OS that supports more than 10 connections to the machine at a time.

I feel like we are going backwards here

:argh:

If you read the post fully there are only 6 connections to the server and I am getting that error.

And your XP server is running PRO or Home? Home version has a limit of 5 connections not 10 like pro -- so if your saying you got the error when 6, that would point to your server box running Home?

Also Im curious how your seeing a mac address for an IP not on your network.

xxx.254.xx.83 00-21-00-9e-e1-d8 dynamic

What is this device?? You should not have IPs that are not 192.168.1 network. That makes no sense at all!

Also I see 16 IPs in your arp table that most likely are clients.. the .1 is your router --- how many machines do you have again?? I thought you only had 10.. So either you have machines with multiple IPs - BAD, Thought you cleaned up all the wiring, and remove any wireless clients when the machine had a wire. Or you have more than your 10 machines? Or you have other devices to account for the IP -- printers?

Its XP Pro SP3. Umm there are 12 computers total including the server, and there are 2 copiers that are connected to the switch, 1 ethernet cable for the cameras, and the router. Thats 16.

I'm not one to bash or moan about someone not knowing something...but the answer really is in the error message in this case!

Read the post fully.

If you read the post fully there are only 6 connections to the server and I am getting that error.

Its XP Pro SP3. Umm there are 12 computers total including the server, and there are 2 copiers that are connected to the switch, 1 ethernet cable for the cameras, and the router. Thats 16.

Read the post fully.

You may not want to see the writing on the wall, but the issue is the connection limit.

Read here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314882

You really need to bite the bullet and upgrade to a server OS.

The connection limit is the number of *inbound* connections to the server.

Not just those that are accessing the shared folders which is what the sessions page shows you.

And what about that IP that is not on your network, that is showing in your arp table?

Well if you think you only have 6 connections.. what does the output of netstat -an show.. This will show you all connections to your server.

What you can do to try and help would be the command

net config server /autodisconnect:1

/AUTODISCONNECT:time Sets the maximum number of minutes a us

session can be inactive before it is di

You can specify -1 to never disconnect.

is -1-65535 minutes; the default is 15.

This can help -- but is not a fix.. The fix for your issues is to either use a server OS that is licensed for the number of connections you need -- or run a linux distro using Samba which does not have that limit. Again CC would be my suggestion - but any distro running samba would work.

I do believe I have already pointed this doc out

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;314882

Inbound connections limit in Windows XP

"Note For Windows XP Professional, the maximum number of other computers that are permitted to simultaneously connect over the network is ten. This limit includes all transports and resource sharing protocols combined. "

Just because you see X number of sessions, does not mean that is ALL of the connections that count against the limit.. I pointed it out as a way to disconnect some sessions that are no longer in use.. But you could auto do that with the autodisconnect to a very LOW number.

Here you go:

C:\Documents and Settings\SERVER>netstat -an

Active Connections

Proto  Local Address		  Foreign Address		State
  TCP	0.0.0.0:135			0.0.0.0:0			  LISTENING
  TCP	0.0.0.0:445			0.0.0.0:0			  LISTENING
  TCP	0.0.0.0:808			0.0.0.0:0			  LISTENING
  TCP	0.0.0.0:10160		  0.0.0.0:0			  LISTENING
  TCP	127.0.0.1:445		  127.0.0.1:1525		 ESTABLISHED
  TCP	127.0.0.1:1026		 0.0.0.0:0			  LISTENING