[Football] Winter Transfer Window 09/10

Roma reportedly make moves for Liverpool's Dossena

The agent of Liverpool defender Andrea Dossena claims that Roma and Napoli will make a move during the January transfer window for the Italian international.

"Roma have made an initial approach," representative Roberto La Florio told Romanews.eu.

"They are clearly a great team and Rome is a wonderful city. I am also aware that Napoli are interested in the lad. So, we?ll see what happens."

The 28-year-old full back is said to be keen on a return to his homeland to boost his chances of making Marcello Lippi?s Italy squad for next summer?s World Cup finals.

"Andrea is getting little space at Liverpool and would like to go back to Italy to play more regularly," explained the agent.

"He wants to be part of Lippi?s 23-man party for the tournament in South Africa. We are evaluating the possibility of continuing with the English side.

"It will depend on the Reds too. We have to understand whether they want to loan him out or plan to sell him. In that case, we should assess his transfer fee."

EXCLUSIVE: Fergie in for ?20m Carlton - Manchester United to fight Liverpool for West Ham's Cole>

Manchester United plan to make a ?20million bid for West Ham?s Carlton Cole when the transfer window reopens in January.

West Ham United's Carlton Cole

Sir Alex Ferguson wants to add strength to a squad weakened by the departure of Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez and has identified the England man as a replacement.

Nevertheless, a spokesman at Upton Park insisted last night that Cole is ?not for sale?, and added: ?We want to keep all our best players and the suggestion that we need to sell because of a financial crisis is not true.?

Cole has missed out on England?s friendly against Brazil in Qatar tonight because of injury but his development under Fabio Capello, as well as the progress he has made working with Gianfranco Zola and Steve Clarke at West Ham, has made him an attractive proposition.

Liverpool are also understood to be interested.

For Ferguson, though, Cole is someone who could play with Wayne Rooney and who offers something different ? more of a physical presence ? from the forwards he has at Old Trafford.

Ferguson has hardly touched the ?80m United received for Ronaldo.

Benitez ponders ?10 million move for Arsenal star>

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is reportedly contemplating a ?10 million January move for Arsenal striker Eduardo.

The Croatian forward is thought to be becoming increasingly agitated at the Emirates with his lack of first team football, although that could soon change after the weekend international injury picked up by Robin van Persie.

Rafael Benitez is desperate to add some strike power to his struggling Reds side, and the News of the World reports that the 26-year-old striker is at the top of Benitez's wish list to make a possible partnership with Spanish superstar Fernando Torres.

The Brazilian-born star has made a commendable recovery from his horrific injury, a leg break picked up against Birmingham City in the summer of 2008. Back to full fitness, Eduardo is eager to play more football after missing out for so long during his recovery.

After making only 25 appearances for the Gunners since signing in 2007, Benitez will need to persuade the striker that there will be more starting minutes on the table at Anfield if he is to have any chance of signing the striker on a ?10 million deal.

Liverpool sign 14-year-old Luton Town forward Dave Moli

Liverpool have paid an undisclosed fee for the Luton youngster Dave Moli. The 14-year-old forward had been part of the Hatters' under-15 side but will now move with his family to Merseyside, where he will continue his schooling and train at the Reds' academy.

Luton reported another Premier League club to the Football Association for making an illegal approach for the player, but Liverpool's approach through the Blue Square Premier club has been accepted.

Luton's youth development officer, Gregg Broughton, said: "We never like to lose talented players, but it is important that we do not stand in the way of young players' development."

Liverpool have intensified their search for young players following a restructuring of the reserve and academy set-up, and the manager, Rafael Ben?tez, is impressed by the changes that have been made.

The Spaniard said: "It is much better now. The players can see the difference and I am sure it will be easier for them to progress. It is always important to develop your own players. Local players have passion and desire and I think that is the key if you want to be consistent and stay at the top ? you have to produce your own players.

"When you make changes it can take time, but we all have the same plan, everybody is following it and we try to do the same things here at Melwood [the first-team training complex] and at the academy."

Rodolfo Borrell, the under-18s coach, and Jos? Segura, the academy technical manager, who joined from Barcelona in July and May respectively, are two of several new arrivals at the club's youth complex at Kirkby this year, and the manager feels the changes are helping to drive the academy forward.

Ben?tez said: "They are doing well, but we didn't bring in just these two coaches. We brought in more people and changed staff. When you talk with agents, or people who are involved with coaching or watching the academy, everyone says it has changed a lot."

Sounds like Robinho could well be off to Barca. Be amazed if Carlton Cole came to us (man u) for ?20 million! Ridiculous price for carlton cole out of all players?! Hope we get Villa and Silva like these rumours are saying though really uncertain how Utd will be... Fergie says he won't really be touching the market but I reckon we need to and there's some good players getting more and more available

• 2 weeks later...

Arsenal close in on ?5m move for Brazil Under 17 playmaker Zezinho>

Brazilian starlet Zezinho expects to sign for Arsenal in the new year.

The 17-year-old, who had a trial with the Gunners in the summer, believes he has played his last game for Juventude ahead of a move to England.

Arsenal are understood to have made an improved bid after having offers of ?1.5million and ?2.75m rejected.

The Brazilian second division side were asking for ?7m, though it is thought they would be satisfied with about ?5m, which would wipe out the club's debts.

Zezinho, who is 18 in March, would not be able to play competitively for Arsenal until next season, but could train with Arsene Wenger's side before then.

The playmaker, who has also been linked with Liverpool, finished the season with struggling Juventude last weekend and believes he will not be at the club when the Gaucho state championship starts in mid-January.

'My time at Juventude ended on Saturday,' he said. 'Until now, I thought that I would continue in the Gaucho, but my agent said that it is impossible.

'He told me that Arsenal will submit a new offer to Juventude - the third in a year, it seems - and this time it will be solved.

'I don't know about any other interested team. The only proposal is from Arsenal, the others were for trials.

'I don't know about the price. I can only say that Juventude will receive 70 per cent, I'll receive 20 per cent and my agent 10 per cent.'

Zezinho was part of the Brazil side that won the South American Under 17 Championship earlier this year.

Operating through the middle or down the left wing, he scored a stunning goal for Juventude against Portuguesa earlier this year, but has also shown a petulant side and was sent of in back-to-back games in June and July.

--

Spurs close to securing deal for another Brazilian star[/b]r

Tottenham Hotspur are close to securing a deal for Brazil midfielder Sandro in the region of ?6.5million, according to The Daily Mail.

The deal is reported to be concluded after the final round of matches in the Brazilian Serie A this weekend, where the 20-year-old could leave a champion if his team were to win.

Manager Harry Redknapp has been keeping tabs on the Brazilian since the summer and has outlined his desire to reinforce his midfield after the recent departures of Jamie O'Hara, Kevin-Prince Boateng, and Didier Zokora.

Redknapp said: "We've only got three central midfield players. Jamie O'Hara went, Kevin-Prince Boateng went, Didier Zokora went. Suddenly we're very, very short in there.

"So I'm looking for someone else who can play in midfield here. We've been looking at Sandro. He's just breaking into the Brazilian team from the Under-21s. He can play. He's a modern-day midfield player.

"I'd like to go and have a look myself as well and, if we do decide to do anything, it'll be up to the chairman to push it on from there."

Manchester United end interest in Serbian Adem Ljajic

Manchester United have decided not to take up the option to sign Partizan Belgrade midfielder Adem Ljajic.

United had an agreement in place with the Serbian club for the 18-year-old to join the Old Trafford club in January.

However, the Premier League champions feel they have a wealth of talent in midfield and their initial interest in Ljajic will not be followed up.

Ljajic had been part of the deal that brought fellow Serbian Zoran Tosic to the club.

United had announced that Ljajic would be loaned back to Partizan for the remainder of 2009, with United manager Sir Alex Ferguson saying last January: "Ljajic will join us next year."

Both players posed for photos holding United shirts with Ferguson, while Ljajic, who is regarded as one of Serbia's brightest young talents, made several trips to Manchester to train with the squad at their Carrington base.

A United spokesman told the club's website: "We had an option to buy the player but, having closely monitored his development over past 12 months and taken into the consideration the young players emerging through the ranks, we have chosen not to pursue the transfer."

Hope we buy Villa, Messi and Kaka lolz.

Better get the money cheat ready :p

Some of these rumours are interesting, but I can't see where the money for either deal is going to come from. Although Carlton is a good striker I think 20 mill is a bit steep, 10 mill for Eduardo is a little more reasonable.

Hope we buy Villa, Messi and Kaka lolz.

Wishful thinking there, Martyn. :laugh:

Chelsea are supposedly interested in signing Aguero (Atletico Madrid), Balotelli (Inter), and Krasic (CSKA Moscow).

Fernando Gago wants to leave Real Madrid in the Winter transfer window, but the team is not considering the move as it will be short of center midfielders when Mahamadou Diarra leaves in January to play in the African Cup.

Philippe Senderos affirms that Arsenal's doors are opened for him to leave, after having consulted his transfer opportunities with Arsene Wenger.

Aston Villa striker 'discussing terms with Fenerbahce' for January move

Aston Villa striker John Carew is a shock transfer target for wealthy Turkish giants Fenerbahce - with a ?5 million bid on the cards.

Carew is a cult hero of the Villa fans but in and out of Martin O'Neill's side, so the big-money move could nbe on if the Turks back up their interest with hard cash when the window opens.

The 30-year-old is well known in Turkey where he had one of the most successful spells of his wandering career with Besiktas and Fener want him next month to fire their bid for domestic glory and European qualification.

Villa will have a headache if the money is right because Carew is 30 and just 18 months from being out of contract and a free agent, putting O'Neill on the spot about his future.

Sources in Turkey claim Carew's camp are even discussing terms with Fenerbahce who are good payers and have signed some top stars in recent years, including Nicolas Anelka.

Carew could be interested if the contract is lucrative and long. This would be his final pay day and he would be cashing in if the deal is at the top levels being mentioned.

O'Neill will be anxiously watching developments. He does not ant to lose Carew but it could make financial sense - with owner Randy Lerner keen to balance the books before further splashes.

It would be a tough task for Villa to find a suitable replacement for Carew who can lead the line and alternate with England World Cup hopeful Heskey as Villa chase their own top-four dream.

Carew has been in some of the top leagues in Europe and this is undoubtedly his last big chance of a pay day. Villa are unlikely to offer him an extension in the near future as his current deal expires in the summer of 2011.

---

Arsenal Line Up Ambitious January Move for ?16m Excellent Barcelona Starlet Bojan[/b]b> Wenger has also lined up the unsettled Barcelona striker Bojan Krkic in his crosshairs, with a view to bringing the youngest player ever to score for Barcelona (17 years and 51 days, since you asked so nicely) in as cover for the injured striker Robin van Persie. (Guardian)b>

Arsene has admitted that with a number of attacking options severely curtailed by injuries that he may have to splash out on a striker in the up coming transfer window and now this source suggests that Wenger may opt for an ambitious move for the Barcelona teenager Bojan Krkic.

The loss of Robin Van Persie will be keenly felt at the Emirates and even though the club has a number of goal grabbing midfielders and wide men they will probably need to beef up their attack if they want to maintain their push for significant silverware this term.

The pint sized Barca man is reportedly not happy about the lack of opportunities he is getting this term and has seen fellow youngster Pedro Rodriguez push his away ahead of him in the first team picture which already includes stellar forwards such as Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Thierry Henry and Ballon d?Or winner Leo Messi.

Pepe Guardiola will be loathed to lose such a talented player as Bojan and his valuation is already said to be around ?16m, which could scare off the Gunners boss.

Defender Sol Campbell keen on joining Manchester United

Former England defender and free agent Sol Campbell has revealed he would welcome a move to Manchester United.

The 35-year-old centre-half would be available in January after finally being released from his five-year contract with Notts County last week.

"I would love to play for Manchester United," Campbell told ESPN. "But I'm not counting any chickens, just waiting to see what happens.

"I have heard nothing officially from United. It would be a great move."

The Old Trafford side had 15 players missing - including eight defenders - for Tuesday's 3-1 Champions League win at Wolfsburg and Campbell could be an attractive option in January's transfer window.

Patrice Evra and Nemanja Vidic are the only regular United defenders who are fit with Rio Ferdinand, John O'Shea, Jonny Evans, Gary Neville, Wes Brown as well as Rafael and Fabio da Silva either injured or sick.

Michael Carrick and Darren Fletcher were part of a makeshift three-man defence in Germany and it has been reported that manager Sir Alex Ferguson is keen on securing Campbell as a short-term solution.

The former Tottenham, Arsenal and Portsmouth defender only settled his contract dispute with Notts County last Wednesday after the League Two side initially refused to release his registration.

Campbell, capped 73 times by his country, linked up with director of football Sven-Goran Eriksson at Meadow Lane in August but departed less than a month into the five-year deal having played just one game.

He was reportedly on wages of ?40,000 and according to some reports became disillusioned with the club's rate of progression during his brief stay.

landon_donovan_the_associated_press1.jpg

Toffees close to landing Donovan

Everton are expected to bring USA international forward Landon Donovan to the Premier League on a three-month loan deal in January.

Donovan, a Los Angeles Galaxy club-mate of David Beckham, needs to play competitive football at the end of the Major League Soccer to maintain his fitness for the World Cup finals in South Africa in June.

His move is similar to the one that Beckham has agreed with AC Milan.

Sources at Everton have confirmed that negotiations are at an advanced stage with the 27-year-old, who is the USA's all-time leading scorer.

If fit he is virtually certain of facing England in the group stages in South Africa.

His move to Merseyside would help boost Everton's injury-ravanged squad, and he will be able to play in the next stage of the Europa League.

Donovan has previously had spells with Bayer Leverkusen and Bayern Munich, but failed to find his best form in the German league.

---

West Ham linked with Adriano

The former Inter Milan front man is currently with Flamengo in his homeland where his goals have helped the club claim the Brazilian championship.

West Ham boss Gianfranco Zola has been linked with a possible move for the powerful striker as he looks to bolster his forward options.

But it appears the Hammers will face stiff competition from elsewhere on the continent for Adriano's services, while he may even remain in South America as he looks to secure a place in Dunga's World Cup squad.

His representative Gilmar Rinaldi told calciomercato.it: "After winning the Brazilian championship I have not spoken to him.

"I can say that I have received offers from Italy, England, Spain and Greece. I have so many offers from Europe.

"Adriano will now take a holiday and then we will evaluate everything. By Christmas, I think it will be decided.

"At the moment, the idea is to remain in Flamengo until the World Cup."

Javier Mascherano refused to commit his future to Liverpool following the club's exit from the Champions League. The Argentina captain, who has two years remaining on his Anfield contract, is a reported target for Barcelona.

"I just talk about football ? not about contracts or money. I want to play," said Mascherano after Liverpool's 2-1 defeat to Fiorentina at Anfield last night, a result that meant the Merseyside club finished with just seven points in Group E. "I am playing for Liverpool, I am a Liverpool player and, like the manager says, I have two more years on my contract, so I think I don't have to say anything else.

"I will continue playing and trying to give my best for Liverpool."

AGENT: ARSENAL ARE CHASING PAVLYUCHENKO

Roman Pavlyuchenko's agent has stated that Arsenal are chasing the disenfranchised Spurs star.

The Russian has fallen to fourth in the pecking order behind Jermain Defoe, Peter Crouch and Robbie Keane and he is desperate to leave White Hart Lane.

A move to Roma has also been mooted but with the Gunners needing to add a striker after the injury sustained by Robin van Persie, Pavlyuchenko's agent Oleg Artemov has claimed that there is interest in his client from the Emirates.

"We are not happy about his situation at Tottenham, so we'll do everything to ensure that he can change club in January," he told tuttomercatoweb.

"There were contacts with Roma but for now only by phone.

"Interested in the player are also Spartak Moscow, Arsenal and Zenit (St Petersburg), anything can happen."

Everton sign LA Galaxy striker Landon Donovan on loan

Everton have signed Los Angeles Galaxy striker Landon Donovan on a two-and-a-half-month loan deal.

The 27-year-old, who holds the USA's records for goals scored, will join the Toffees on 2 January and is to remain on Merseyside until mid-March.

"He will come in and add pace, he's a good finisher and is captain of the USA national team so has that experience," said Everton manager David Moyes.

"He is the first of two or three players I want to bring in in January."

Donovan's arrival will provide a much-needed boost to Everton's injury-ravaged squad as they look to move up the Premier League table.

The Toffees are likely to be without Jack Rodwell for Sunday's match against Birmingham, with Joseph Yobo, Sylvain Distin, Dan Gosling, Mikel Arteta, Phil Jagielka, Phil Neville, Victor Anichebe and James Vaughan also injured.

Donovan has scored 42 goals in 120 appearances for his national team, although he failed to find his best form in the German league during spells at Bayer Leverkusen and Bayern Munich.

--

Arsenal's Jack Wilshire set for a loan move to Burnley

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is considering letting teenage midfielder Jack Wilshere join Premier League side Burnley on loan.

The 17-year-old England Under-21 international has made six appearances for the Gunners this season.

"Wilshere needs to play," said Wenger. "Burnley is a good club. They play good football, but Jack must want to do it.

"I like the idea, but at the moment we are a bit short. Jack is in the squad nearly every game."

Wilshere became Arsenal's youngest-ever league debutant when he made his competitive debut as a late substitute against Blackburn at Ewood Park in September 2008.

His dribbling ability and creativity has seen the Stevenage-born attacker become one of England's most highly regarded young players and he has become a regular for Arsenal's Carling Cup side.

Wilshere has also featured in the FA Cup and Champions League, playing 14 games in the past two seasons, and helped Arsenal to their FA Youth Cup and Premier Academy League titles in 2008-09.

Toni Avaliable on Free!

Bayern Munich are ready to cut their loses on Luca Toni and let the Italian leave the club for free in January.

The powerful striker, who is thought to interest West Ham, has been at loggerheads with his coach Louis van Gaal all season.

Bayern president Uli Hoeness has clearly grown exasperated by the situation and is ready to do everything he can to ensure his departure.

"We still don't have a concrete offer, although we are prepared to loan or sell him for no fee," Hoeness told German TV show DFS-Doppelpass.

Toni, who joined Bayern from Fiorentina in 2007, has started just three Bundesliga games this term and his only goal of the campaign has come in the DFB Pokal.

Hoeness added: "If necessary we will not ask for a transfer fee. We want to have peace."

The striker was not in the match-day squad as Bayern claimed a 5-2 win over Hertha Berlin on Saturday to make it six wins in a row.

a bargain for some team there!

Turan keen on Liverpool move

Galatasaray midfielder Arda Turan is reportedly interested in a move to Premier League side Liverpool.

The 22-year-old Turkey international has long been linked with a move away from Galatasaray after impressing for the Istanbul outfit.

?When I?ve finished my business at Galatasaray, I will be happy to play in Europe and represent my country there,? Turan told the News of the World.

?I most want to play at Liverpool because of the culture of the club and the fans ? and the fact that they have red shirts attracts me.?

roma are making some loopy decisions of late..

they have given totti a 4 year contract extension, and are rumoured to be circling for dossena AND toni. **** me, glad i'm not a roma supporter!