• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[Football] Winter Transfer Window 09/10

Recommended Posts

Damo R.    29,670

Inter?s Vieira completes Man City move

MANCHESTER (AFP) - Inter Milan midfielder Patrick Vieira on Friday completed his move to Manchester City.

France international Vieira, who becomes new Blues boss Roberto Mancini's first signing, has signed a six-month deal with an option for a further year.

The 33-year-old's deal at Inter was due to expire in the summer and the former AC Milan and Arsenal is desperate to secure first-team football as he bids for a place in France's World Cup squad.

Mancini, who worked with Vieira at the San Siro, told the club's website, www.mcfc.co.uk: "Patrick is a world class midfielder with a winner's mentality and will fit into this group very well.

"He knows me and my staff well, and importantly he also knows what the Premier League is all about. He will not need much time to settle in.

"Patrick is one of the great players of his era with every almost every honour in the game against his name. I am sure City fans will welcome him warmly and appreciate the contribution he will make."

Vieira joined Arsenal from AC Milan in 1996 and went on to become a pivotal figure as the Gunners landed three Premier League titles and four FA Cups.

He moved to Juventus in 2005, spending one season there during which time the club claimed the Scudetto before being stripped of the crown due to the match-fixing scandal and consequently relegated to Serie B.

Vieira then joined Inter where he won three Serie A crowns and two Italian Cup titles.

He has won 107 caps with France, helping them to their 1998 World Cup and 2000 European Championship successes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damo R.    29,670

Liverpool Hopeful On Maxi Rodriguez Deal But Nothing Concluded - Rafa Benitez

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has revealed that the Reds are close to sealing the deal to bring Atletico Madrid midfielder Maxi Rodriguez to Anfield.

However, the move has not yet been concluded and some work still remains before the 29-year-old Argentine becomes a Liverpool player.

"It's true we've talked to Atletico Madrid and we're interested in the player but still it's just conversations," Benitez told reporters at his Friday press conference before his side's Sunday clash with Tottenham Hotspur.

"You never know with timescales. It's a question of everything being more or less agreed, and now it's for Atletico and the player to talk and see what happens."

Rodriguez will apparently be taking a pay-cut to move to England after being assured by fellow countryman Javier Mascherano that he has a good chance of regular first team football at Anfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damo R.    29,670

H6nHV.jpg

Rafa Benitez has conceded for the first time Liverpool will consider bids for star duo Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres.

Since the Reds accepted a ?30million bid from Chelsea for skipper Gerrard back in 2005, Benitez has always insisted he would never entertain offers for his prized assets.

Joining Gerrard in that category is goal-machine Torres, who has become one of the top forwards in world football since arriving on Merseyside in 2007.

Manchester City's reported interest in the Spanish international last season was met by a definitive rebuff from Benitez, who has previously claimed he would quit the Reds if the striker was allowed to leave.

Benitez's guarantee of UEFA Champions League football next season is by no means a certainty as Liverpool trail Tottenham, Aston Villa and City this term and the ramifications of missing out on the financial windfall of a top-four finish could be crippling for the Reds.

And Benitez has given the first indication that the five-time European champions would be forced to consider offers due to their lack of funds, although the Spanish tactician does not expect the scenario to materialise.

Conversation

"We would have a conversation and decide what's the best for the club," said Benitez.

"I've said before I want to keep the best players here because that means we can be closer to the top four. They are the most important.

"We gave extensions to players because we want to keep the squad together.

"If you ask any manager in the world they will tell you they want more money and want to spend but at this moment we have to do what's best for the club.

"That means managing the situation for each player and see what happens."

Sky Sports

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Valerus    1

Well if this is true, this is an interesting development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kostaz    3

I doubt they'll go anywhere,both have the pool in their blood.

Besides if they are sold Liverpool fans will riot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HilariousNinja    6

Yeh, but if its for the good of the club then I'm sure fans will agree. Although why players like Babel and Ngog are not suggested to be offloaded first is beyond me.

I'm sure some Liverpool fans would prefer to have a worse off squad overall WITH Gerrard and Torres rather than a pretty bad squad without their 2 talismen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martyn    5
Yeh, but if its for the good of the club then I'm sure fans will agree. Although why players like Babel and Ngog are not suggested to be offloaded first is beyond me.

I'm sure some Liverpool fans would prefer to have a worse off squad overall WITH Gerrard and Torres rather than a pretty bad squad without their 2 talismen.

GOOD OF THE CLUB?

All the money goes to the Americans. Liverpool is their 'franchise'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nothuman    0

Gerrard will never go anywhere else, but as for Torres I'm pretty sure he do not have 'Pool in the blood like you said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SabaTime    0

Rafa needs to either play Babel or offload him. Give him a chance to find his form

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HilariousNinja    6
GOOD OF THE CLUB?

All the money goes to the Americans. Liverpool is their 'franchise'.

I didn't mean it like that, I meant like to prevent the club going into a complete financial mess, with millions of pounds of debt.

Basically like United are at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damo R.    29,670

Sol Campbell to play for Arsenal Reserves on Tuesday against West Ham reserves

:o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kralik    3
Sol Campbell to play for Arsenal Reserves on Tuesday against West Ham reserves

:o

Yup it's official.. on Arsenal website now..

Campbell named in Arsenal Reserve team

Tonight?s Reserve team to face West Ham United at Upton Park features Sol Campbell, who plays tonight on a Reserve League registration, with a view to a permanent move back to Arsenal Football Club.

TONIGHT?S RESERVE TEAM:

1. Vito Mannone

2. Kerrea Gilbert

3. Thomas Cruise

4. Craig Eastmond

5. Kyle Bartley

6. SOL CAMPBELL

7. Mark Randall

8. Fran Merida

9. JAY THOMAS

10. Francis Coquelin

11. Gilles Sunu

SUBS:

12. James Shea

13. Luke Freeman

14. SEAD HAJROVIC

15. CEDRIC EVINA

16. Emmanuel Frimpong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damo R.    29,670

quite a shock really but he is a good freebie if fit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shibby    2

I think he will probably be Arsenals reserve and thats it. He was starting to slow down when at pompey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damo R.    29,670

Sol Campbell is playing for Arsenal's reserves tonight. According to the Gunners website, he is "playing with a reserve league registration and talks are ongoing with a view to a permanent move back to Arsenal."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damo R.    29,670
Sol Campbell is set to complete a surprise return to Arsenal in the next few days after he played 45 minutes for their reserves against West Ham.

The 35-year-old former England defender has been a free agent since being released from his contract with League Two side Notts County in December.

The club have said he played in the 4-2 win "with a view to a permanent move back to Arsenal Football Club".

Campbell played only one game for Notts County after leaving Portsmouth.

The former Tottenham and Portsmouth defender joined County - with the involvement of ex-England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson a key factor in persuading him to drop down to League Two - in August, but left less than a month into a five-year deal.

But after being strongly linked with a move to Championship leaders Newcastle, Campbell now seems set for a return to the club where he won two Premier League titles.

Campbell played only the first half of the reserve match before being replaced by Ignasi Miquel as he eased himself back into competitive football; there was no suggestion he was injured.

BBC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SabaTime    0

Maxi officially a RED!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martyn    5

Free transfer. Well happy with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damo R.    29,670

Stoke set to to sign Portsmouth goalkeeper David James

Stoke boss Tony Pulis has revealed the club are in talks to sign Portsmouth keeper David James.

The 39-year-old England international has struggled for regular first-team football this season after picking up a calf injury but is now fit to play.

"We're hoping it will be tied up for the weekend, but it will have to be right for us," said Pulis.

James is eager to prove his fitness to England boss Fabio Capello ahead of the World Cup in the summer.

The former Liverpool and West Ham keeper has played 141 times for Portsmouth, and won the FA Cup with the club in 2008. But he has figured only 12 times this season, with Asmir Begovic keeping him out of the side in recent weeks.

And with his England place coming increasingly under threat from Birmingham's in-form keeper Joe Hart and the likes of West Ham's Robert Green, James will hope to get a run of games in the Premier League.

"We'll have to see if the two clubs can come to a deal," said Pulis, who hopes to have James available for Saturday's Premier League clash with Liverpool

As things stand, James will have stiff competition for the number one jersey at Stoke, with Thomas Sorensen established as first choice at the Britannica Stadium.

---

Galatasaray sign Everton defender Lucas Neill

Galatasaray have signed Everton's Australia international defender Lucas Neill on a one-and-a-half-year deal.

The Toffees confirmed Neill, 31, will join the Turkish club after Saturday's game against Manchester City.

Reports claimed Everton accepted a bid of about ?750,000 for the ex-West Ham full-back, who only arrived as a free agent at Goodison Park in September.

Neill said: "I'm delighted to have signed with Galatasaray and play for a big club with big ambitions in Europe."

He added: "Galatasaray have a fantastic squad and I am looking forward to the challenges that lie ahead."

Neill agreed a one-year deal at Everton after his contract with the Hammers ended last year.

Former Liverpool star Harry Kewell, a team-mate of Neill's in the Australia team, and ex-Aston Villa striker Milan Baros are already playing at the Ali Sami Yen Stadium.

Galatasary, who have won the league title twice in the last four seasons, currently trail rivals Fenerbahce by one point and are coached by Dutchman Frank Rijkaard.

Neill began his professional career with Millwall in 1995 before heading to Blackburn six years later for a ?1m fee and then he signed for the Hammers in January 2007.

The Sydney-born defender last played for Everton in the 2-2 draw at Arsenal in the Premier League on 9 January.

He also led Australia in their successful World Cup qualifying campaign, which starts in June in South Africa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shibby    2

I think Portsmouth are ****ing on the supporters and saying its raining.

Avram Grant will have to come out and try and win support, because this is a bizzare move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leesmithg    226
quite a shock really but he is a good freebie if fit

Well we got him free from Tottenham Hotspur, then I am sure he went on a free to Portsmouth, now a free to Arsenal.

I wonder if he will be in the team against Bolton Wanderers at Ashburton Grove tonight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damo R.    29,670

Striker Ruud van Nistelrooy joined Hamburg on Saturday, ending a three-plus year spell with Real Madrid after struggling to find playing time with the Spanish club this season.

Hamburg said Van Nistelrooy signed a contract through the 2010-11 season, but did not disclose financial details.

?(Hamburg) is a great club with a strong team and big ambitions ? and I have big ambitions too,? Van Nistelrooy said, adding that he hopes the move can help him earn a spot on the Netherlands' World Cup squad.

The Bundesliga club said the 33-year-old Dutchman will arrive in Hamburg on Monday.

Hamburg coach Bruno Labbadia said he was convinced the former Manchester United striker would score ?important goals? for the club, which lost 1-0 at Borussia Dortmund shortly before the announcement. It is currently fifth in the league, five points behind leader Bayern Munich.

Van Nistelrooy was one of Europe's top goalscorers for much of the last decade, but has just one goal from four appearances so far this season. In total, he scored 60 from 89 appearances for Madrid.

He was widely expected to leave Real Madrid in the January transfer window and had been linked to several English clubs, including Tottenham and West Ham.

Van Nistelrooy scored 33 goals in 64 games for the Netherlands, but announced his retirement from internationals after the 2008 European Championship. However, he made it clear that he hopes increased playing time in Germany will pave the way for a comeback at this year's World Cup in South Africa.

?Of course, then I hope that the national team coach gets in touch with me and I can go to the World Cup,? he said in an interview on club's website.

Van Nistelrooy joined Madrid from United in July 2006 for 15 million euros (then C$20 million) after helping the Red Devils to league and FA Cup titles. He was also one of only eight players to score 150 goals for United.

He was the top scorer in the Champions League in 2002, '03 and '06.

The former Ajax striker made an immediate impact in the Spanish capital, leading the league with 25 goals in his first season as he paired up with David Beckham again and helped the club end a four-year trophy drought ? the club's worst for 53 years ? with a league title.

Van Nistelrooy missed most of last season due to a serious knee injury, making only 10 appearances in all competitions, but still scored seven goals.

?I had a really good time in Madrid,? the player said.

Still, ?the Bundesliga has always appealed to me and that was also a reason for me to make the move,? he added.

Labbadia said that ?it makes clear the significance of the club that a player like Ruud van Nistelrooy has decided to move to Hamburg.?

Source

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damo R.    29,670

Robinho eyes loan move from Man City to Brazil's Santos

Brazilian forward Robinho has revealed he is confident he will join his former club Santos on loan from Manchester City "in the next few days".

The 26-year-old has been widely tipped to leave Eastlands, though boss Roberto Mancini says he wants Robinho to stay.

But Robinho told Brazilian television network Globo: "It's all on the right track. It's 90% certain to happen.

"Santos want a year, but City want just six months. In two or three days, it should all be sealed."

Robinho scored his first goal of the season for City in their 4-2 FA Cup win at Scunthorpe on Sunday, though he has struggled to win a place in the side for most of the campaign.

He cost a British transfer record ?32.4m when he joined City from Real Madrid in 2008 but is keen to be playing regular football with a World Cup approaching.

Mancini, who took over from Mark Hughes as manager in December, says he would like to keep Robinho, a wish that appears increasingly unlikely to come true.

"I hope he will stay here," said the Italian after Sunday's victory. "In the next day the situation can change but at the moment he stays.

"Hopefully in the end Robinho will stay here but it is important he will stay here, be happy and enjoy it. He is a very good player. I think he is enjoying Manchester.

"I think one player can stay in a squad only if he is happy - if he wants to play every game and if he wants to work every day.

"I have five or six strikers and I must decide every game between them. It's impossible to play with four strikers."

Reports suggest Robinho is likely to take a pay cut from his ?100,000-a-week wages to re-join Santos, the club he started his career with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Damo R.    29,670

Sky Sports News understands Fulham have accepted a bid from Manchester United for Chris Smalling.

The 20-year-old defender has become the subject of intense speculation during the January transfer window, with a number of clubs tracking his progress.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, a man renowned for nurturing young talent, had openly expressed his admiration for the talented centre-half.

The Gunners are, however, yet to show their hand, with Wenger favouring a cagey approach in his winter transfer business.

That appears to have opened the door to reigning Premier League champions United, with Sir Alex Ferguson keen to snap up Smalling as a potential star of the future.

The England Under 21 international has made rapid progress since joining Fulham from Maidstone in 2008, and made his first Premier League start against Chelsea on 28th December 2009.

The Cottagers had been keen to fend off interest in the youngster amid mounting speculation, and have not commented on United's reported offer, but they appear to have relented in their efforts to keep Smalling in the capital.

When asked about the bid, a Fulham spokesperson said: "Fulham has no comment to make on speculation surrounding Chris Smalling"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HilariousNinja    6

I think this just shows that those blaming the Ljajic deal falling through on the clubs finances to be wrong. Strange one though as he's only had a few appearances for Fulham, I'd probably assume there is some clause enabling United to pull out of the deal in the Summer if Smalling doesn't make enough progress during the rest of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.