[Football] Winter Transfer Window 09/10

Damo R.

Done Deal! (Source: Man Utd Official Site)

United have agreed terms with Fulham to sign their England Under-21 international defender Chris Smalling.

The 20-year-old Greenwich-born centre-back will join the Reds from the start of the 2010/11 season.

A club spokesperson told ManUtd.com: "Manchester United has agreed terms for the transfer of Chris Smalling from Fulham. Chris has agreed personal terms with the club and will join for the beginning of the 2010/2011 campaign. He will remain at Fulham until the end of the current season."

An England Under-21 international, Smalling has made just nine first-team appearances for Fulham. But he has impressed during 18 months at Craven Cottage and he is widely tipped to enjoy a bright future.

Fulham plucked Smalling from non-league Maidstone in July 2008, and after shining in the club?s Reserves ranks Roy Hodgson handed him his senior debut on the final day of the 2008/09 season.

His first start came in September 2009 when Fulham travelled to CSKA Sofia in the UEFA Cup, where he played the full 90 minutes in a 1-1 draw. ?He?s learnt a lot,? said Fulham boss Roy Hodgson. ?If you analysed his performance over 90 minutes, he played with a maturity I'm not entitled to

Subject Delta

I think Man City would be best placed cutting Robinho from their wage bill anyway, I feel he has underperformed considering his huge wage packet and price tag.

Damo R.

West Ham are set to sign South African striker Benni McCarthy after agreeing an undisclosed fee with Blackburn.

The 32-year-old, who has only started nine games this season, is now set to discuss personal terms with the club.

But Rovers boss Sam Allardyce labelled McCarthy "selfish" for missing training in an effort to force through the move.

"The only loyalty a player has got is to himself. That's not just Benni, that's all players today," Allardyce told BBC Radio Lancashire.

"It's more about a selfish attitude that they have. If something comes their way that they think they must have, they try their very best to go and get it."

McCarthy joined Blackburn from Porto in the summer of 2006 and has scored 52 times for the club but is eager to boost his chances of playing for South Africa when they host the World Cup this summer.

Damo R.

Sky Sports News understands Eidur Gudjohnsen has undergone a medical at West Ham United, but Tottenham Hotspur are also keen on the Monaco forward. (Sky Sports)

Gudjohnsen only moved to Monaco from Barcelona during the summer transfer window, but is being lined up for a January return to the Premier League.

The former Bolton and Chelsea ace has been linked with several clubs, including Blackburn Rovers, who are managed by his former Trotters boss Sam Allardyce.

However, struggling West Ham currently appear to be in pole position to bring the Iceland international back to English football.

The 31-year-old has been put through the first stage of a medical by the Hammers, although he has yet to agree personal terms to secure a switch to Upton Park.

Tottenham have also made contact regarding a deal for Gudjohnsen, but ex-Hammers boss Harry Redknapp expects the forward to join his former club.

Good footballer

"I spoke to his agent, he said he was going to West Ham, so I left it with the agent," Redknapp said after Spurs' 2-0 win over Fulham.

"I would take him on a loan. He would be good loan signing playing in different systems.

"He's a good footballer and an interesting player on a loan, but I think he's gone to West Ham."

West Ham, meanwhile, are closing in on a deal to snap up Benni McCarthy from Blackburn Rovers after agreeing personal terms with the striker.

A fee has already been agreed with Rovers and the South African is due to have a medical on Wednesday ahead of completing a move to Gianfranco Zola's side.

Kralik

Good signings by Hammers.. Gudjohnsen and McCarthy have experience in the EPL and can get a lot of goals.. I think West Ham will be safe with these two in the team

red.

Seems like Gudjohnsen might be going to Spurs now. Hopefully not though. How many strikers do they need?

Damo R.

yep Sky Sports reporting Spuds have nearly sealed the deal for Eidur!

Tottenham look to have won the race to land Iceland international striker Eidur Gudjohnsen.

The former Chelsea and Barcelona star had looked set to sign for West Ham, until Spurs made a late move for the 31-year-old.

The Hammers have hit out at the late move from their London rivals for the forward, who is set to depart French club Monaco.

But Spurs chief Harry Redknapp insists that the player made a straight choice between the two Premier League clubs.

"We've been talking about him for nearly two weeks and when we heard West Ham were interested we made our move," Redknapp told The Sun.

"We are not paying a penny more than West Ham were offering him.

"Two identical deals were on the table. In the end it was a straight choice for Eidur."

but we are trying to secure Bentley and Hutton!

Damo R.

Tottenham in for Kaboul and Begovic

Sky Sports News understands that Tottenham are in talks with Portsmouth over Younes Kaboul and Asmir Begovic.

Kaboul only moved away from White Hart Lane in 2008 after spending just one season with Spurs.

He has since become an integral part of Portsmouth's defence and has earned rave reviews on the South Coast.

Indeed a host of clubs including Aston Villa, Manchester City and Sunderland had been looking to land him.

But Kaboul's former club have now emerged as favourites to secure his services.

Spurs are looking to make it a double swoop, as they are also understood to be in talks over Begovic.

The 22-year-old Bosnian international has impressed for Portsmouth this season and now Spurs are looking at sealing a deal.

Redknapp originally signed Begovic as a youth player in 2003 and is well aware of his potential.

Pompey's acceptance of the deal is likely to mean some loan players going in the opposite direction, one of which is likely to be Jamie O'Hara.

---

Sky Sports News understands that Tottenham have signed Monaco forward Eidur Gudjohnsen on loan until the end of the season.

The former Bolton, Chelsea and Barcelona star had been a target of West Ham before Premier League and London rivals Spurs made their move.

Gudjohnsen is reported to have undergone a medical at Upton Park and so the Hammers were less than impressed when news broke earlier this week that Tottenham appeared favourites in the deal.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp was quoted as saying in Thursday's newspapers that he had offered identical terms to West Ham and that the Iceland international was deciding on his choice of clubs.

Gudjohnsen now appears to have made up his mind and is set to move to White Hart Lane where his craft will add a different dimension to UEFA Champions League-chasing Tottenham's attacking options.

The combination of Jermain Defoe's pace and Peter Crouch's aerial threat have proved a positive pairing this season, but when the duo misfire Spurs have struggled.

Club captain Robbie Keane is out of form and has been relegated to a role as substitute, while Roman Pavlyuchenko is expected to leave in January and Birmingham are thought to have made an approach.

Shibby

Not this rumour of Begovic for spurs. ?I don't think we will sell him. ?First of Harry wasn't the one who signed him it would have been the youth managers!

Harry doesnt' like youth unless he brought them.

Damo R.

Manchester City's unhappy Brazil international Robinho is to join his former club Santos on a six-month loan.

Santos will assume Robinho's contract, including his wages and bonuses, until the loan period ends on 4 August.

"Robinho is someone who needs to be playing regularly and we wish him well for the period of his loan," said City manager Roberto Mancini.

The 26-year-old forward scored his first goal of the season in City's 4-2 FA Cup win over Scunthorpe on Sunday.

Robinho, who cost a British transfer record ?32.4m when he arrived from Real Madrid in 2008, was keen to go home ahead of the World Cup in South Africa this summer as he attempts to ensure his selection.

After a promising start to his City career, Robinho's form deserted him and he has started only eight games in all competitions this campaign, prompting links to Barcelona.

Robinho is due to return to Brazil on Sunday.

"Robinho could be a really cheap signing for Santos because we have a lot of partners interested in financially supporting Robinho's return to Santos," Santos press officer Arnaldo Hase said earlier this week.

Shibby

17.15 Sky Sports News understands Birmingham City have agreed a ?4million fee with Lens for Aruna Dindane. ?That means Pompey will have one less Striker.

Damo R.

I can see Pompey losing alot of players before the close, probably Kaboul and maybe Bergovic and James.

Damo R.

Pompey have signed Spartak Moscow striker Quincy Owusu-Abeyie on loan until the end of the season, subject to international clearance. (Pompey Official Site)

The 23-year-old has plenty of experience of English football, having played for Arsenal and Birmingham in the past.

And now he is looking forward to helping Pompey preserve their top-flight status.

He said: ?I?m looking to bring a lot to the club. I?m happy to be here and hopefully I can have a big impact and help the club stay in the Premier League.

?If we stay focused then I?m sure we can win some matches and get out of the relegation places.

?I?ve played in the Premier League before and it?s great to be back.

?I can?t wait to get out on the pitch and play my first game for Pompey ? that?s what I?m waiting for.?

Owusu-Abeyie began his career with Dutch giants Ajax but moved to England to join Arsenal in 2002.

He made 23 appearances for the Gunners, scoring two goals but left to join Spartak Moscow in 2006.

During his time with the Russian outfit, Owus-Abeyie ? who can also play out wide ? has also had loan spells with Celta Vigo, Birmingham and Cardiff.

He has represented the Netherlands at youth and under-21 levels but switched nationalities to play for Ghana and played for the Black Stars at the 2008 Africa Cup of Nations.

Damo R.

West Ham could be ready to test Celtic's resolve with a bid for Australian striker Scott McDonald.

BBC Scotland has learned that the English Premier League club have had the Parkhead goalscorer watched and an enquiry has been made.

McDonald, 26, has struggled to secure a regular start under boss Tony Mowbray.

Wigan recently ended their interest because of Celtic's asking price and Gordon Strachan is keen to take his former striker to Middlesbrough.

Strachan, who took over at Boro in October, spent ?700,000 on McDonald in 2007 to bring him to Celtic from Motherwell, for whom he had starred for three seasons.

McDonald, who has earned 15 caps for Australia, arrived in British football from Cranbourne Comets.

He made only two appearances for each of Southampton and Wimbledon, and had loan spells with Huddersfield Town and Bournemouth.

Currently recovering from a hernia operation, McDonald has scored 64 goals in 127 appearances for Celtic and will be keen to start hitting the net regularly to clinch his place in Australia's squad for the World Cup finals in South Africa this summer.

Meanwhile, Burnley are still hopeful of signing Celtic defender Danny Fox with negotiations between the two clubs ongoing.

Damo R.

Manchester United midfielder Anderson is wanted by Lyon, according to the Brazil international's agents.

Anderson's future at Old Trafford has been the subject of recent speculation after he was left out of the squad for United's last two games.

Reports have claimed that Anderson paid an unauthorised visit back to Brazil and he is in line to be fined two weeks' wages.

He was linked with a move to Vasco da Gama in his homeland, although the club have played down suggestions they could sign the 21-year-old.

However, Lyon may be able to offer Anderson a route out of United after the player's representatives confirmed the interest from the French giants.

A spokesman for his agents Gestifute told The Sun: "We are working towards some authorisation with United.

"The subject could be closed this weekend."

There are suggestions that United will look to have the highly-rated goalkeeper Hugo Lloris included any deal which would see Anderson head to Stade Gerland.

Anderson has made 96 appearances for the Red Devils since joining from Porto in 2007 and his only goal arrived in the 3-1 win at Tottenham earlier this season.

Damo R.

LAST DAY!

at 5pm it will be over!

Damo R.

BBC Radio 5 live's senior football reporter Ian Dennis: "Stoke have made a ?3m bid for Portsmouth keeper Asmir Begovic."

From BBC Radio 5 live's senior football reporter Ian Dennis: "Man City are poised to complete a deal for Parma's Kenyan international McDonald Mariga. Valeri Bojinov, currently at the Italian side on loan from City, could make his move there permanent as part of the deal."

0949: Football League Fletch: "DONE DEAL: One exit to tell you about at Newcastle, with veteran midfielder Geremi signing for Turkish side Ankaragucu. The 31-year-old had not played for the Magpies since 20 October."

Damo R.

DONE DEAL: Wigan have confirmed the signing of Victor Moses from Crystal Palace on a three-and-a-half-year deal. The 18-year-old - previously linked with Barca, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs - joins for about ?2.5m.

Kostaz

DONE DEAL: Wigan have confirmed the signing of Victor Moses from Crystal Palace on a three-and-a-half-year deal. The 18-year-old - previously linked with Barca, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs - joins for about ?2.5m.

WTF?

A guy linked with such huge clubs joins Wigan :blink:

Oh and BTW thanks for posting all those news Rappy.

Damo R.

"West Ham sources say no truth in Beattie. I understand McCarthy will complete today. Ilan remains v.possible. Mido possible."

oh dear Mido...really?

btw McCarthy is done!

and a player I have always admired!

Skysports.com understands that West Ham United and Portsmouth have made late contact with Paris St Germain striker Mateja Kezman.

The former Chelsea man has recently returned to the French capital after a loan spell at Zenit St Petersburg but does not feature in the plans of Antoine Kombouare.

West Ham are in the market for strikers after missing out on Ruud van Nistelrooy and Eidur Gudjohnsen and are therefore thought to have made enquiries, despite an imminent deal for Benni McCarthy.

The Hammers' Premier League relegation rivals Portsmouth are also believed to have approached Kezman with a view to securing additional attacking options.

Any move would come late on transfer deadline day but the 30-year-old would bring experience of England's top flight.

Kezman played for Chelsea during the 2004/05 season after a ?5million move from PSV Eindhoven, although his time with the Blues failed to meet expectations as he scored just four league goals in 24 appearances

Damo R.

DONE DEAL: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees (pretend you're at the darts). West Ham confirm the signing of South African striker Benni McCarthy for an undisclosed fee on a two-and-a-half year deal. With the World Cup in his home country in the summer, can he make get back into the Bafana Bafana squad now?

1337: We are hearing from St Etienne that they have officially released Brazilian striker Ilan

Damo R.

1549: Now this is why I came to work at ridiculous o'clock this morning: there's a rumour that Liverpool are making a very, very, very late bid to sign Galatasaray's prodigiously-talented Turkish winger Arda Turan, who was brilliant during Euro 2008. True?

Dance.

WTF?

A guy linked with such huge clubs joins Wigan :blink:

Oh and BTW thanks for posting all those news Rappy.

He wants to play more first team games I presume :p.

Damo R.

and it's closed for us English!

Scotland closes at Midnight!

Damo R.

1711: DONE DEAL: Tottenham defender Alan Hutton has completed his move to Sunderland on loan for the rest of the season.

1708: Sky Sports reckon Tottenham striker Robbie Keane is heading up to Scotland to talk to Celtic about a possible loan move to the Scottish giants. Told you today wouldn't be boring.

:unsure: