Neowin forums are back

Ugh... I thought this was going to be a major turn for Neowin to become like, a number 1 community. And now I see this blinding Finity font that like looks extremely ugly! The font of Finity is what makes it so ugly, it looks so Linux, and the Atlas font was like Windows 7.

I'm not happy Neowin is up... Not one bit, I'm everybody else is happy. Guys, it could've been worked out this week, downtimes have been longer before... If you are that stuck to Neowin, then get a life. The community you can see on IRC, and the news you can find on the sexy Ignition-powered front-page. If that doesn't please you, then something is wrong. Like that was so disappointing.

I'm not putting down the developers/staff/etc, but I can't believe the community is happier that it's at least running compared to waiting a couple days while it gets sorted and letting the developers/staff/etc sleep.

Studying lucid dreaming, you should never cram. Sleep is critical for memory, so a week's worth of downtime would've definitely fixed the issue, not staying up all night...

Ugh... I thought this was going to be a major turn for Neowin to become like, a number 1 community. And now I see this blinding Finity font that like looks extremely ugly! The font of Finity is what makes it so ugly, it looks so Linux, and the Atlas font was like Windows 7.

I'm not happy Neowin is up... Not one bit, I'm everybody else is happy. Guys, it could've been worked out this week, downtimes have been longer before... If you are that stuck to Neowin, then get a life. The community you can see on IRC, and the news you can find on the sexy Ignition-powered front-page. If that doesn't please you, then something is wrong. Like that was so disappointing.

I'm not putting down the developers/staff/etc, but I can't believe the community is happier that it's at least running compared to waiting a couple days while it gets sorted and letting the developers/staff/etc sleep.

Studying lucid dreaming, you should never cram. Sleep is critical for memory, so a week's worth of downtime would've definitely fixed the issue, not staying up all night...

You're forgetting to factor in money loss for down time.

Ultimately it comes down to the fact that without the forums, we have lost a major stream of revenue, and every hour they remain offline is costing us money, there comes a point where we just had to call it quits.

https://www.neowin.net/news/neowin-forums-r...#comment-971659

:ermm:

I don't care if the forums uses the Finity or Atlas theme, as long as its up! Its just sad that the dev's work on IPB 3 was just wasted.

Edited by Manmohanjit Singh

This is disappointing news, but it's understandable that this decision was made. Kudos to the developers who have invested so much time upgrading Neowin, and trying the fix the resulting problems. It's a shame that the forum upgrade was unsuccessful, but at least the new front page is working correctly, and the forums are back and running.

From the front page:

To be fair to them, Brandon has been very helpful in trying to track down the issues for us, he spent most of today, and a good proportion of the night previously working with us on the issues. Ultimately it comes down to the fact that without the forums, we have lost a major stream of revenue, and every hour they remain offline is costing us money, there comes a point where we just had to call it quits.

Thanks for the tremendous amount of time you guys put into the redesign, and trying so hard to make the forums work. We have had the stability and uptime and great upkeep of Neowin over the past years by the staff. Hence I think it's fair to say that it's expected of the members to be patient and bear with having a rare problem like this. :)

Edit: I should refresh before posting haha. I had the quick reply box open for about 50 mins, and then remembered that I didn't hit the "Add Reply" button :p

I hope this will be a lesson learned and that future updates go smoother. :) In the meantime, I'm perfectly happy with the forums as they are now (except for the lost posts... grrr).

It's a real shame to see the upgrade fail.. I remember IPS always having issues with very large databases.. That's why I've stuck with vBulletin for a very long time..

The one thing that really puzzled me was the required usage of googleapis.com in the new IP3 board.. :huh:

At least it's back up.. and due time I'm sure they'll figure it out..

I don't care if the forums uses the Finity or Atlas theme, as long as its up! Its just sad that the dev's work on IPB 3 was just wasted.

Not wasted, surely Neowin will move to IPB3 eventually, and when that time comes again the things learnt from this experiment will come in handy :)

I know the new board was tested, but it didnt have the DB from here did it? I don't remember seeing the whole 9 million posts while being on the test board.. maybe if it was tested like that you could have seen this error before attempting?

I know the new board was tested, but it didnt have the DB from here did it? I don't remember seeing the whole 9 million posts while being on the test board.. maybe if it was tested like that you could have seen this error before attempting?

That would've been a true test.

So next question is what happens next?

This is unacceptable.

I can understand the worry about lost ad revenues, but: Wouldn't it have been better to try and find the issue with IPB3 for one more day than to throw in the towel?

Here's hoping that we will see the new forum eventually. Sooner than later.

This is unacceptable.

I can understand the worry about lost ad revenues, but: Wouldn't it have been better to try and find the issue with IPB3 for one more day than to throw in the towel?

Here's hoping that we will see the new forum eventually. Sooner than later.

We spent 4 days on it, including a day and a bit working with the creators of the software. Its easy enough to say "oh, but one more day...", all these one more days add up. How can you seriously sit there and tell us this is unacceptable? Did you personally pay us to do this upgrade? Are you losing out somehow by having us revert back to IPB2?

^Chill, boys. :laugh:

The Devs. worked really hard, and decided that the best option for the community was to revert to IPB2. It wasn't certain that the issue would have been fixed in one more day of work, so I don't see the argument there. 'Try and find' with no results means that another day would have been wasted. To be honest, I think that the Devs. are the most saddened with the decision that had to be taken.

Edited by CrownedClown03

We spent 4 days on it, including a day and a bit working with the creators of the software. Its easy enough to say "oh, but one more day...", all these one more days add up. How can you seriously sit there and tell us this is unacceptable? Did you personally pay us to do this upgrade? Are you losing out somehow by having us revert back to IPB2?

I think he just liked atlas (most of us did...)

Appreciate all you guys and your efforts. What are the prospects of you guys continuing to work behind the scenes to reduce the load / catch the bug? (presume you're going to take at least a week away from the bloody thing first!).

The thing is this. The main page looks amazing but clearly doesn't fit with Finity / the rest of the forums. In the long run, things can't stay as they are, can they?

rambling now....! :-)

I was being sarcastic. No one is losing anything by the (temporary) downgrade.

I'm merely disappointed that the IPB3 issues could not be fixed and you had to roll back.

Note to self: Buy a SarcMark license.

Not wasted, surely Neowin will move to IPB3 eventually, and when that time comes again the things learnt from this experiment will come in handy :)

But seriously IPB 3 is a really very bulky.

IPB 2 is just amazing. We can't say, the Dev's might just create the Atlas theme for the forums(IPB 2) too. Anyways, I'm quite happy. It was sad that the forums was down for a long time.

RIP Atlas.

We do have it on the main page don't we?

I loved Atlas and everything, but it's not like we'll never see it again. It'll happen, once they figure out what went wrong.