OPM gives Heavy Rain 9 in world-first review & other reviews

When is a more appropriate time?

Exactly, how can you 'bash' a game before you have tried it?

I wouldn't go so far as to say the game was bad though, the story was good enough to keep me interested as it was for most people. As I've said before though, I certainly see no replay value in this game and would only recommend people to rent it rather than paying full price.

Certainly a decent benchmark for future games that have a similar play style.

Other than graphics and atmosphere I actually thought the game was almost a step backwards for gaming

But then again, it would almost be impossible for them to fully execute what they promised, I guess now I consider David Cage Quantic Dream's version of Peter Molineux.

I usually bash a game before it's even in development. I just like to be proactive. shiftyninja.gif

I hear Alan Wake 2 is going to be garbage! :rofl:

Other than graphics and atmosphere I actually thought the game was almost a step backwards for gaming

But then again, it would almost be impossible for them to fully execute what they promised, I guess now I consider David Cage Quantic Dream's version of Peter Molineux.

Step forward for the gaming medium for trying something different though wouldn't you say?

If no risks were ever taken we'd all be playing rehashed FPS games.... wait.... :rofl:

Step forward for the gaming medium for trying something different though wouldn't you say?

If no risks were ever taken we'd all be playing rehashed FPS games.... wait.... :rofl:

While the game IMO is not AAA status, I did like the game. And, I did like that it was different than what we have seen this generation. I applaud Quantic for taking that risk, and I think for the most part, it was worth it.

While the game IMO is not AAA status, I did like the game. And, I did like that it was different than what we have seen this generation. I applaud Quantic for taking that risk, and I think for the most part, it was worth it.

I agree with that statement 100%. It's certainly not a AAA game but if this genre takes off and refinements are made, this sort of game soon could be!

No, we would be playing Pong or text based RPG's. Shooters are relatively new to the gaming scene as opposed to strategy, puzzle and role playing games. Most games were based on board games originally, which is why Shooters were such a new concept. Anyways, the point is that it wasn't a step anywhere. IMO we have already seen this done in many other games, just not as heavily. Kingdom Hearts 2 had cutscene actions, ME2, Splinter Cell as well if I remember correctly. The idea was to involve the player in the character's actions at all times. The only difference between many of these games and Heavy Rain is the complexity of these actions and the weight of the choices made. Regardless, these things are as easy to manipulate as any other choice based game I can see. The only interesting parts I found in the game myself were the action based quicklime events.

No, we would be playing Pong or text based RPG's. Shooters are relatively new to the gaming scene as opposed to strategy, puzzle and role playing games. Most games were based on board games originally, which is why Shooters were such a new concept. Anyways, the point is that it wasn't a step anywhere. IMO we have already seen this done in many other games, just not as heavily. Kingdom Hearts 2 had cutscene actions, ME2, Splinter Cell as well if I remember correctly. The idea was to involve the player in the character's actions at all times. The only difference between many of these games and Heavy Rain is the complexity of these actions and the weight of the choices made. Regardless, these things are as easy to manipulate as any other choice based game I can see. The only interesting parts I found in the game myself were the action based quicklime events.

QFT

Honestly, the marketing of Heavy Rain really tarnished my reception of it. They tried to make the game seem like it was such an important game. It brought games to the next level of mature games. The nudity made it so mature in a way that no other games before did it. The game will bring adult themes like no other game has done before. The story telling will be presented like it's never done before.

gimme a break :rolleyes:

QFT

Honestly, the marketing of Heavy Rain really tarnished my reception of it. They tried to make the game seem like it was such an important game. It brought games to the next level of mature games. The nudity made it so mature in a way that no other games before did it. The game will bring adult themes like no other game has done before. The story telling will be presented like it's never done before.

Am I the only one who got a boner when I saw that chick naked? blush.gif

QFT

Quite frankly it did bring about the "next level" of mature games this generation, every game I've played so far has space marines, arcadey FPS combat, totally unrealistic events, yadda yadda yadda.

It's probably the least gamey game out there right now, and it does so by abandoning every game having to have guns/mass killing/online play/etc.

I don't remember the last time I played anything like it, for that reason alone it's important, whether or not it flops, I'm fed up with the stale gaming generation we're being flooded with at times.

Quite frankly it did bring about the "next level" of mature games this generation, every game I've played so far has space marines, arcadey FPS combat, totally unrealistic events, yadda yadda yadda.

It's probably the least gamey game out there right now, and it does so by abandoning every game having to have guns/mass killing/online play/etc.

I don't remember the last time I played anything like it, for that reason alone it's important, whether or not it flops, I'm fed up with the stale gaming generation we're being flooded with at times.

You never played the Myst, Phantasmagoria, Myth or other games did you? What about games like Zelda, Super Mario, or fighting games. Not all games are about guns, saving the universe and utter lack of realism. Just the ones you play. A game in itself isn't about the story, but how you play it and its challenges. A game isn't "required" to be anything but a game. Unfortunately, while games like Mass Effect and Dead Space can be compared to something like the game Monopoly, Stratego or Risk. Heavy Rain is nothing but Go Fish! Sure, it has an awesomely designed deck which looks cool and is themed on modern drama, but does that make it any less of Go Fish? No.

That being said, Heavy Rain is not a bad game, it just isn't really new either. Mass Effect, Half Life and other games have equally good stories, universes and characters while not being a giant quicklime event.

You never played the Myst, Phantasmagoria, Myth or other games did you? What about games like Zelda, Super Mario, or fighting games. Not all games are about guns, saving the universe and utter lack of realism. Just the ones you play. A game in itself isn't about the story, but how you play it and its challenges. A game isn't "required" to be anything but a game. Unfortunately, while games like Mass Effect and Dead Space can be compared to something like the game Monopoly, Stratego or Risk. Heavy Rain is nothing but Go Fish! Sure, it has an awesomely designed deck which looks cool and is themed on modern drama, but does that make it any less of Go Fish? No.

That being said, Heavy Rain is not a bad game, it just isn't really new either. Mass Effect, Half Life and other games have equally good stories, universes and characters while not being a giant quicklime event.

All based on fantasy or post-modern eras, there's nothing much like it today based on real-life events such as child abduction/sacrifice/love/psychological trauma.

As for Myst, Phantasmagoria, Myth, they are all old games, not much like them any more and did any of them even come out on recent consoles?

Anyone else find that crawling over that glass and trying to turn was annoying and lame as all hell? They could have done without that. Damn that got on my nerves

Regarding the slew of issues with Heavy Rain, Sony Dev speaks up in the official Heavy Rain forums:

http://boardsus.play...5296366/page/24

As of yesterday:

Work is still ongoing to rectify this problem which is affecting some players of Heavy Rain. As mentioned previously the reported issues in this thread only appeared after the game was released and did not occur during testing. There is an update to the game in development as we speak and while this is not specifcally targeting the issues highlighted in this thread it should improve stability for many users, possibly rectifying problems in the process.

Once there is a fixed date for the release of this update, or further news on resolving other issues we'll update further.

and

The next update is about to enter testing and covers several stability issues with the game, so while not specific to the reported problems here might resolve things for some players. This is not to say that they're not working on other problems, we've several teams dedicated to finding out what's going wrong for people who are experiencing difficulty, but at present no specific fix is in the pipeline.

I hope this patch fixes these issues. That is 26 pages of some serious issues.

49 more pages:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/Heavy-Rain/Problems-With-Heavy-Rain/m-p/45267002#U45267002

All based on fantasy or post-modern eras, there's nothing much like it today based on real-life events such as child abduction/sacrifice/love/psychological trauma.

Just because it deals with that doesn't mean the story's good LOL

Just because it deals with that doesn't mean the story's good LOL

I didn't say that meant the story is good, story is a matter of preference, I was talking about how hardly any other, if any other games even try and tackle some of that subject matter.

I didn't say that meant the story is good, story is a matter of preference, I was talking about how hardly any other, if any other games even try and tackle some of that subject matter.

So what parts of the story made any profound grounds based on certain subject matter? Because in the end, it really didn't say anything. Because in the end, all they did was put a bunch of ideas together and didn't fully execute on them, story wise. There was absolutely no part of the story that made any sense. And man, did I try hard to make sense of it. And for a game that's focused 80 or 90% in story telling, I don't think it succeeded in that.

I've learned that it's easier to love this game rather than like it. Because if you love it, it's easier to forgive this game on its flaws.

So what parts of the story made any profound grounds based on certain subject matter? Because in the end, it really didn't say anything. Because in the end, all they did was put a bunch of ideas together and didn't fully execute on them, story wise. There was absolutely no part of the story that made any sense. And man, did I try hard to make sense of it. And for a game that's focused 80 or 90% in story telling, I don't think it succeeded in that.

I've learned that it's easier to love this game rather than like it. Because if you love it, it's easier to forgive this game on its flaws.

I don't need things to make profound grounds, this isn't the Jesus of video games, all I'm saying to you is a game tackling such subject matter is a breath of fresh air whether you like the story or not, not many games do anything like this.

Without some risk taking gaming will become a chore to me rather than an enjoying experience, I don't want the same experiences repackaged all the time, It's nice to experience new things every so often and be glad some devs try to offer those choices to our medium.

I love you Massiveterra shifty.gif

LOL what's this about?

I don't need things to make profound grounds, this isn't the Jesus of video games, all I'm saying to you is a game tackling such subject matter is a breath of fresh air whether you like the story or not, not many games do anything like this.

Without some risk taking gaming will become a chore to me rather than an enjoying experience, I don't want the same experiences repackaged all the time, It's nice to experience new things every so often and be glad some devs try to offer those choices to our medium.

that's what you were saying but that's not what I was saying. I was saying the story was bad.

And all of the pretense that led up to the launch of the game made it worse. David Cage made it seem like it was the jesus of video games. Plus the game takes itself so seriously that's it's hard not to look at its flaws. That's why I compared him to Peter Molinaux in a previous thread.

I commend taking risks in video games. And risks in game design happen all of the time, but all I'm saying is that they didn't execute it well.

that's what you were saying but that's not what I was saying. I was saying the story was bad.

And all of the pretense that led up to the launch of the game made it worse. David Cage made it seem like it was the jesus of video games. Plus the game takes itself so seriously that's it's hard not to look at its flaws. That's why I compared him to Peter Molinaux in a previous thread.

I commend taking risks in video games. And risks in game design happen all of the time, but all I'm saying is that they didn't execute it well.

Fair enough, try to avoid the hype wagon next time then, but if you didn't like the story it wouldn't of mattered regardless how hyped/un-hyped you were.

All this talk of love, and I felt left out biggrin.gif

How far would you go for someone you love? LOL

Would you subconsciously watch yourself cutting off a limb via webcam?

edit: whoops :blush: