New Powermac specs on Apple Web store

Athlon64 is not faster than the opteron im sure of this i went to the AMD tech tour and they talk about it...think of the Opteron as the MP and Athlon64 as the Xp..back on topic..i wish they launched the 15in pbooks with a G5 inside

Exactly. Take the same speed Athlon MP on one of those motherboards, and put it against an Athlon XP on one of it's common motherboards and see whats faster. There's a reason all of us aren't running Athlon MP's right now. Workstation is geared towards reliability, thats also why the Opteron has to use ECC memory right now(which is slower than non registered memory), then look at how long the MP's FSB trailed behind that of the XP.

There will still be a 1024mb L2 cache Athlon64 as well as the crippled one. Compare the Opteron on a common server board running ECC memory against a Athlon64 on a common consumer board running non ECC memory and the Athlon64 will win.

Why or How did apple leak the specs to the internet last night?

check out the first post in this topic and it shows how they leaked it. ;)

On the Apple store, one of the gifs was accidently replaced.

They replaced this:

step1bullet1powermac.gif

with this:

post-60-1056082016.gif

Before quickly pulling the store offline and removing the image.

That's the point of this 9 page thread. Was it by accident? Was it hacked? Was it an insider goofing around? Was it planned PR?

We just don't know, we'll only know on Monday.

Accident, they'll have the whole site updated already, ready for Monday and on Thursday they were updating some of the graphics o the site such as the generic buttons like "continue" etc, the PowerMac graphic coulda slipped in.

Apple legal have been asking sites to remove it though.

Personally I'd love it to be real because it would put Apple way up there with the fastest consumer desktop (if not the fastest) all teh way from languishing at the bottom of the pile almost with the G4's.

I don't know about anyone ELSE ... but the WHOLE WWDC Hype is BLOODY Killing me!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

i cannot get a new PowerMac, anytime soon, but i am excited, as a keen follower of both Technology, and Apple. One almost forgets that, 50% of us (who kick around this forums, ALL the time) won't have a PPC970 based machine, in the NEAR future (Me included :() ... but WE have STILL have Panther to come ... Its kinda amazing, that something like OS X.3 can be overshadowed, eh? ... this SURE is "Interesting times..." :D

NeYo

I'll be expecting you to be grabbing panther and showing us all it's goodness :devil:

Most Definately man ... But i would like to think the Community here, would like to allow us all to become "Previewers" of Panther ... we all need 2 learn from one another .. so everyone configure your AFP connections plz ... First one, heads up :p

HAHAHAHA! Poor Steve ... but hey, there's NO Doubt, Panther holds enough "WOW" cards for us .. and who knows ...

We all will be sat there "wowing" in a Mexican wave Stylie ... and Steve'll roll up...

"Oh... ONE MORE THING"

LOL :p ... i cannot wait man! :p

...Someone needs 2 do the same thing (as the URL u jus posting, but relate it to "G5" and "p4") that would be funny .. and tempting fate once more ... :p

Dazzla, do you remember those Adverts for Apple ... where they Apologised for Kicking the ass of the Pentiums II's? LOL, they were funny!! :D

http://www.elroyonline.net/misc/apple/apple.html

LOL, if you click on OS X here is the headline.....

[/i]"(Sunday, May 12, 2002 02:17:59) Furious: i want to talk to you about my penis."[/i]

I'm surely not buying a MAC anytime soon. But I'm also prob not going to be upgrading my PC either. I might get a flat pannel screen but that is it. Next summer, the G5 prices (crosses fingers) should drop a bit and w/ a student loan on the PC .... muhaha I'll have a G5. I've wanted to replace my system w/ a nice gui based 'Nix system and this will be it. GPL software will rule my HDD. :)

1 ghz fsb is pretty impressive, this high end powermac sure is going to put a stop to those anti-mac users showing off their pentiums and amd to us :D

i cant find this new powermac on the apple site though??

btw, OS X.3 will have fast user switching like XP right?i looong for that feature, for my privacy.

Not that it won't be nice, but just like today, the majority of a processors time will be spent idle: waiting for the next big render/compile/etc to happen.

Which is why I always run Folding@Home on my processor. Now, I'll not only be making a donation to cancer research, I'll be making a fu*king HUGE one :D