aww poor neowin :(

It's a tough one, because as I've posted earlier, the ad blocking community wants to block them, AND wants to block them beautifully. So there's some very careful rules in place to collapse blocks or, indeed, remove our nice message if they so wanted.

It's a cat and mouse game, and I totally understand the motivation behind wanting to block ads. But if we can get through to just a few before this message ends up being blocked, and convince them that Neowin's worth whitelisting, then great :)

One of those areas where it doesn't pay to be heavy handed.

I think firewall does cool job of kicking external domain out of clicked domain :) not my fault that firewall does this nice job :p obviously neowin want me specially create rules but somehow i'm feeling lazy to do this are you all not? I'm still saying send all registered users adds in their email (neowin already has email addresses)

It's a tough one, because as I've posted earlier, the ad blocking community wants to block them, AND wants to block them beautifully. So there's some very careful rules in place to collapse blocks or, indeed, remove our nice message if they so wanted.

It's a cat and mouse game, and I totally understand the motivation behind wanting to block ads. But if we can get through to just a few before this message ends up being blocked, and convince them that Neowin's worth whitelisting, then great :)

as someone in the know would you say stopscript is just as good if not better than ABP for getting rid od the "Bad" ads?

with the ads not loading for me at all, what you've said has no relevance to me... the sad face is alot more distracting than any of the ads ever were

I never see ad's.. I have a hosts file that kills 95% of them, AdBlock for Chrome covers the rest.. I don't feel bad because I'd never click on them, and because half the time I'm using my iPhone as a wireless ap for my laptop, and it has a very low bandwidth cap, every kb saved..

• Like 1

Yep, and we're looking into why the ads aren't loading at all - that, right now, I'm not sure about.

oh common, keep neowin clean and send adds via email :( have mercy on our bandwidth :p hehe

Yep, and we're looking into why the ads aren't loading at all - that, right now, I'm not sure about.

please do something about it soon, its getting quite depressing for me...

it makes that unhappy face at you, then blames you for something you didnt do...

Getting sick of seeing this unhappy face and message every time Neowin loads, im not blocking ads so i shouldnt be forced to look at the stupid messages, i understand why they are there but dont punish everyone just because some people block ads.

I never see ad's.. I have a hosts file that kills 95% of them, AdBlock for Chrome covers the rest.. I don't feel bad because I'd never click on them, and because half the time I'm using my iPhone as a wireless ap for my laptop, and it has a very low bandwidth cap, every kb saved..

You do know that revenue is generated just for viewing the ads? Neowin isnt backed by a large corporation you know....

With NoScript, I have to whitelist first netshelter.net then collective-media.net then doubleclick.net to get the ads to show up. I already have neowin.net and googleapis.com whitelisted. The thing is that I don't feel like permanently whitelist those three first mentioned. I don't use adblock or anything similar.

You do know that revenue is generated just for viewing the ads? Neowin isnt backed by a large corporation you know....

Neowin ads are blocked by the hosts file ( I remember from before Chrome got extensions ), and there is no way I'm unblocking stuff there.. to me it comes down to simple bandwidth, I have a 2gb Data plan on my phone, and I almost always am just under it.

I'm sorry if I cost them a $1 or so a month in un-viewed ad's.. And I'm not encouraging anyone to do it, but that being said it IS the way I run my computer and I'm not changing because of 1 site.

Now if they want my money add a Donate button. When I have cash I gladly donate to the sites I frequent..

(if someone also read the how much you download thread, that's what I download on my line at work during the day)

• Like 1

You mean you pay the hamsters that power the servers??

Anyway its like Neowin is hacking me, how do they know!! Sad face makes me feel guilty. Add a tear to the sad face and ill whitelist it...

With NoScript, I have to whitelist first netshelter.net then collective-media.net then doubleclick.net to get the ads to show up. I already have neowin.net and googleapis.com whitelisted. The thing is that I don't feel like permanently whitelist those three first mentioned. I don't use adblock or anything similar.

No, that's not the problem. Even with those three allowed, still no ads. Just the annoying menus on some keywords:

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6086/91169170.jpg

And I'm not going to give script access to Google Analytics and Syndication.

I don't block adverts, however i do block flash on all websites, the reason for this is flash slows an Intel Atom powered netbook / nettop quite a lot.

Will the adverts on Neowin always be flash based? I really don't want to be blocking ads on one of my favorite websites on purpose.

Edit - even when Neowin is white listed in FlashBlock - Version: 0.9.23 for Chrome i still don't see the adverts.

there's taking a long time to load, and there's not loading at all... now neowin looks like the saddest website on the internet or somethinggeez im actually complaining about not seeing ads

Neowin - Saddest page on the interwebs ?

worst.png

Neowin.net - Where unprofessional journalism looks better

capture.png

I have this cool idea, please also send ads company our email addresses that way we can see ads in our inbox and neowin can make more money :)

Another idea would be that neowin makes an executable installer (like yahoo etc) so users have to run EXE file to register with neowin (while copying ads company file(s) to our system which starts everytime when system restarts)

I also have another great idea, use java, flash and quicktime plugins of browser so + ads guarding proxy so people don't get their addresses :p

hope my sarcasm cheers you :)

Neowin ads are blocked by the hosts file ( I remember from before Chrome got extensions ), and there is no way I'm unblocking stuff there.. to me it comes down to simple bandwidth, I have a 2gb Data plan on my phone, and I almost always am just under it.

I'm sorry if I cost them a $1 or so a month in un-viewed ad's.. And I'm not encouraging anyone to do it, but that being said it IS the way I run my computer and I'm not changing because of 1 site.

Now if they want my money add a Donate button. When I have cash I gladly donate to the sites I frequent..

(if someone also read the how much you download thread, that's what I download on my line at work during the day)

Well, you could always subscribe - it's for a whole year and it would solve your advertising problem - and you'd be supporting Neowin, which at the moment you're not if you're blocking their adverts. ;)