aww poor neowin :(

I am not getting upset, I just don't like ads.

It's a bit more than that for some. People who are on fixed bandwidth amounts can hardly afford to download ads all over the internet.

Neowin is one of the few sites I do allow ads, because I want to support the site.

Funny how it's clearly the people blocking ads that are getting upset in this thread.

No its people that dont block ads who get the stupid message telling them to stop blocking ads because their connection cant load the image/script heavy advertisements fast enough that are getting upset. Admins having attitudes like yours and other admins calling people names because they block ads is not on and is the wrong attitude to take if you want people to stop blocking ads.

Despite what i have been saying i do agree with the fixed internet capped people wanting to disable the ads.

Maybe this should be added as an option for people who 'donate' a certain amount.

No its people that dont block ads who get the stupid message telling them to stop blocking ads because their connection cant load the image/script heavy advertisements fast enough that are getting upset. Admins having attitudes like yours and other admins calling people names because they block ads is not on and is the wrong attitude to take if you want people to stop blocking ads.

Personally i think the Admins replies have been far more professional than they should have been regarding the amount of whingers about such a small thing.

There is a naughty subscriber forum. But it is only rated R.

you mean theres a forum where i could say **** **** **** and all i have to do is pay for it to not be censored? :laugh:

naughty, indeed.

I am not getting upset, I just don't like ads. I would prefer it if Neowin had a more clear way of doing business. Subscribers are actually donators and not real subscribers as they don't get any real benefits. They just support the website. I don't have a problem with that and I would love to support the site, but I wouldn't like to be called a subscriber...

I don't think anyone thinks any differently of the subscribers than the regular members. Even a lot of the staff members aren't subscribers and they tolerate the ads. If you don't want the ads and you don't want the :( then "donate" to the subscriber^2. I subscribe because I want to support the web page that I've visited the most in the past 10 years, and I don't ever click on website ads and would rather not see them.

I'm sure you can PM a site administrator and donate without being a subscriber...but you will probably still have to deal with ads.

Maybe that is a good site suggestion, have a "cloaked" subscriber^2 option for people who want to donate and receive the benefits but not gloat about it.

Personally i think the Admins replies have been far more professional than they should have been regarding the amount of whingers about such a small thing.

Its a good job you dont run the site then, if this place relies on the community for revenue there is no place for attitudes calling people names and automatically assuming the people complaining are ad blockers, thats an easy way to drive people away rather than giving them an incentive to turn off ad blockers, its just going to make them want to block the site even more.

It's a request to it's members... not 'calling people out'.

That's a very politically-correct way of saying the same thing. Also, a "request"? A bit of a bossy attitude, no?. Also, the phraseology of the image is a bit off. Saying "Please whitelist "neowin.net" to support us" would be better than what's there at the moment, because the current one asks people to whitelist and support. Two for the price of one? :p

If you call out people like that with some sentimental text and a sad face then it's hardly surprising that people will speak out.

No one knows it was displayed on your screen but you. So how were you called out by this any more than when Neobond posted a pinned thread explaining add revenue?

Also even though it has been tweaked, I'm still seeing the image before the ads load (Safari 4.x.x on Windows). It's fine on Chrome but not Safari...

Its a good job you dont run the site then, if this place relies on the community for revenue there is no place for attitudes calling people names and automatically assuming the people complaining are ad blockers, thats an easy way to drive people away rather than giving them an incentive to turn off ad blockers, its just going to make them want to block the site even more.

People that use the site don't subscribe and block the ads are just leechers.

If i ran this site and leeches were using it, then i wouldn't be happy about it either.

Either use the site with the ads or don't use the site, easy choice really.

(i understand there is a grey area involving data capped users though)

Funny how so many people ramble on I hate ads and what not, let them try hosting neowin on their home connection :) Why rant? If you don't like the site, just don't visit! I've seen so many other forums, with so many invasive ads. The same goes for people who use adblockers, it's there decision to use one so no reason for all teh hate going 'round. I do know that If neowin closed down i'd have a hard time finding another community that I enjoy so much, so I just click like hell on those ads every now and then :p

Edited by Draconian Guppy

If i ran this site and leeches were using it, then i wouldn't be happy about it either.

Either use the site with the ads or don't use the site, easy choice really.

(i understand there is a grey area involving data capped users though)

I dont block ads but i dont appreciate being tarred with the same brush by the "staff" at Neowin, i dont want to have to have a stupid unhappy face and message just because my pc is slow at loading adverts, i agree that adblockers are just leeching but that doesnt give the "staff" the right to just assume all people complaining about ads are adblockers and ive seen people being called all sorts of names in the past by "staff" when this issue has been brought up.

If i ran a site that had people ad blocking i would do as much as i could to try and change peoples minds, not sit with a negative and condescending attitude like most "staff" here have.

No one knows it was displayed on your screen but you. So how were you called out by this any more than when Neobond posted a pinned thread explaining add revenue?

Saying it in a thread on the forum is definitely not the same as saying it several times on each page on the news site. Each action has equal and opposite reaction. If you're gonna ask people to do something then you should be prepared for people voicing why a) they won't do it b) they don't want to do it.

Funny how so many people ramble on I hate ads and what not, let them try hosting neowin on there home connection :) Why rant? If you don't like the site, just don't visit! I've seen so many other forums, with so many invasive ads. The same goes for people who use adblockers, it's there decision to use one so no reason for all teh hate going 'round. I do know that If neowin closed down i'd have a hard time finding another community that I enjoy so much, so I just click like hell on those ads every now and then :p

Some ads are fine. The banner ads are OK and tolerable. Pop-ups and ad-words are just in poor taste.

But you bring up a good point. When Neowin was not ad supported (as in Site Admin out-of-pocket supported) it went through a series of outages and downtime. Since the site has become ad supported it has been faster and more stable. People who say that a site of this scale be run without ads don't know what they are talking about.

Funny how so many people ramble on I hate ads and what not, let them try hosting neowin on there home connection :) Why rant? If you don't like the site, just don't visit! I've seen so many other forums, with so many invasive ads. The same goes for people who use adblockers, it's there decision to use one so no reason for all teh hate going 'round. I do know that If neowin closed down i'd have a hard time finding another community that I enjoy so much, so I just click like hell on those ads every now and then :p

I dont think anyone is whining about the ads, they are whining about the childish message that is put beneath it, im not blocking ads so i shouldnt have to look at the message just because my connection is too slow to load the ads quick enough.

i dont want to have to have a stupid unhappy face and message just because my pc is slow at loading adverts

[/quote}

Relax guy, it's only there for a short period of time.

It's not like people are looking over your shoulder going... "oooo you filthy leech" neither do you have to explain yourself.

If i ran a site that had people ad blocking i would do as much as i could to try and change peoples minds

Yes, as would i.

I dont think anyone is whining about the ads, they are whining about the childish message that is put beneath it, im not blocking ads so i shouldnt have to look at the message just because my connection is too slow to load the ads quick enough.

According to Rob they are working on trying to fix this:

We're having problems with the animated GIF idea, such that it's showing without any delay. Don't worry - we do intend to delay it so those not blocking ads will never see it :)

STOP ASKING ME TO WHITELIST YOU dammit!!!!! i dont even have anything to blacklist you with

and nobody's mentioned that the ads not loading means the revenue stream stops for neowin...having that smilie face really is the least of your concerns right now

There are many ways to 'contribute'. One simply being by adding to the numbers. By registering. Posting alone is a sign of contribution in my eye.

Without these 'leechers' this forum would be nothing. Regardless if they subscribe and/or don't block ads.

You need to redefine what and who you call a 'leecher'. If anything a 'lurker' would better fit your definition.

• Like 1

I dont think anyone is whining about the ads, they are whining about the childish message that is put beneath it

I didn't see the message as that... i read it as "Come on chaps... do us a favour and white list us" or something to that effect. I guess different wordings are personal opinions though.