aww poor neowin :(

I've been a subscriber in the past, and may well subscribe in the future. For me it was about contributing to the community, rather than expecting massive benefits from the subscription.

That being said I think introducing a "nag screen" on a technology focussed forum is both a waste of time, and is going to annoy people. If people want to block ads they will find a way (and there are lots of them), and people at this forum especially will now how to get around them. Instead try promoting the subscription models more.

from the recent server load messages, its obvious that the resources that the forum uses is quite precious... if there was a way to prioritize the server performance for subscribers, that would be a huge incentive... like staff > tier 2 > tier 1 > registered users > guests > search engine spiders

We're having problems with the animated GIF idea, such that it's showing without any delay. Don't worry - we do intend to delay it so those not blocking ads will never see it :)

We're having problems with the animated GIF idea, such that it's showing without any delay. Don't worry - we do intend to delay it so those not blocking ads will never see it :)

Wouldn't the time and effort be better spent on other things ?

As soon as you've fixed this, I will remove my "No Sad Face" style.

Aw come now :p There's more than one developer :)

and its still taking you THIS long?

::edit:: oh wait... now the sad face dissapears after awhile, but it is still one of the first things to show up when the page loads...

Aw come now :p There's more than one developer :)

Still a useless effort. If I blacklist Neowin, that space isn't even visible (see image).

What's the point of working on the sad smilie, only if it's visible for those who already white-listed Neowin?

I don't see why I would enable ads for neowin.net.
dont get me wrong here, I love the neowin community but please show me the value of being a subscriber.

You don't need to pay money to pay the site if you enable ads. So you are saying you love the community, but still disables ads on the site despite them paying some of their costs?

That's a bit cheap-ass.

You don't need to pay money to pay the site if you enable ads. So you are saying you love the community, but still disables ads on the site despite them paying some of their costs?

That's a bit cheap-ass.

Maybe Neowin isn't the most important site for me on the Web...You don't know that and you certainly do not have the right to call me names...

I subscribe not for the features but to help keep Neowin alive, i appreciate the site and the work that goes in to it.

I enjoy coming here and pay a hell of a lot more for one night out than i do for a whole years subscription, i think of it more as a donation.

Maybe Neowin isn't the most important site for me on the Web...You don't know that and you certainly do not have the right to call me names...

Well it is cheap-ass, i don't recall him saying "Petvas you're a cheap-ass" though.

If you get upset by being called that, maybe the net isn't the right place for you to be. The right to call you that comes from your earlier comments, which I quoted. It is a mild slang for people being cheap when they can afford not to.

I don't pay for neowin.net but visit the site for news, and the forum for further information and community. It's not my top site, but I care enough to try and let them display ads when I visit (if only NoScript could do that easier some how).

Really, I don't care if you want to block ads on whatever sites you visit. If I like a site, I also like if they get ad revenues. That's just me.

I subscribe not for the features but to help keep Neowin alive, i appreciate the site and the work that goes in to it.

I enjoy coming here and pay a hell of a lot more for one night out than i do for a whole years subscription, i think of it more as a donation.

Hear hear, that's the same way I feel.

How ignorant!

I'll refrain from stereotyping you.

How is he being ignorant, he pays for his 2Gb a month capped internet he should be able to take whatever measures he so wishes to keep under that allowance, just because you make money from the ads doesnt mean you can insult people.

• Like 2

I am not getting upset, I just don't like ads. I would prefer it if Neowin had a more clear way of doing business. Subscribers are actually donators and not real subscribers as they don't get any real benefits. They just support the website. I don't have a problem with that and I would love to support the site, but I wouldn't like to be called a subscriber...

Funny how it's clearly the people blocking ads that are getting upset in this thread.

Really ? I see the opposite.. It's mostly the people Not blocking ad's that are upset that there are people who have them blocked..

I am not getting upset, I just don't like ads. I would prefer it if Neowin had a more clear way of doing business. Subscribers are actually donators and not real subscribers as they don't get any real benefits. They just support the website. I don't have a problem with that and I would love to support the site, but I wouldn't like to be called a subscriber...

Then PM a member of staff and ask how to donate... job's a good'un

Funny how it's clearly the people blocking ads that are getting upset in this thread.

If you call out people like that with some sentimental text and a sad face then it's hardly surprising that people will speak out.

your just trying to get us to subscribe, arent you? what if there are no naughty forums?!?!?!?

but anyway, the sad face message is also showing up instead of the ads on the news articles too... i dont know if its my internet connection, but this is definitely the first time i've seen it...

and the thing is, i have a couple of tabs with neowin pages on them, and the ads never load... the sad face keeps showing

There is a naughty subscriber forum. But it is only rated R.