Neowin Digital Gallery

crazy, you actually shoot without strobes? hmmmmmmmm /me thinks your account was hi-jacked! I like that last one, look like he managed to get the shot! I feel it really captures teh moment! Though his shirt does really look blown out a bit ( hmmm come to think of it, it's probably over exposed because you were using strobes!!! :p /nag )

uhhh... probes? I don't get it?

I was shooting two courts at the same time. One had the school's player facing the sun (the last photo) and the other had the player facing away from the sun (the second to last photo) so I had to come up with an exposure that would work on both. They play on 6 courts, and I had to get shots from every single match. So I would stay in the middle of two and shoot both at the same time and move to the next set of courts when they took a break.

LOL @ the spanglish and LMAO @ the strobes :p

Yea it helps to have outdoor sports :p Basketball's all done :( It's baseball/softball/water polo/tennis season now!

What's the spanish word that you mixed with strobes?

LOL @ the spanglish and LMAO @ the strobes :p

Yea it helps to have outdoor sports :p Basketball's all done :( It's baseball/softball/water polo/tennis season now!

What's the spanish word that you mixed with strobes?

Probista which is loosely used as "in view" in some legal talk, but that's not even the word, the word is pro-vista, so for some reason, I translate it into "probes", mixing it with strobes :s , no idea why though, the mind as you get old betrays you :p ( 26ish) Maybe I was thinking probes as "in lighting" some how :wacko: English is not my maiden(sp?) language, though I do speak fluidly and prefer to talk/write in english, but sometimes spanish gets the best of me. It's like I mix both and during writing and don't realize it :s Anyway, enough mumble.

On topic, I like basketball a lot more too, plus it's just more dynamic, though I guess it's all in capturing the moment. To be honest though, I prefer normal lighting, strobing, in some cases, "feels" too much like a studio too me anyway :s though at some point in photography you simply can't avoid getting into strobes. Like as an example I like how you setup the basketball court, light feels very inobtrusive. I dislike however when the main light is that coming only from strobes, though I guess that can be controlled with amount of power in flash, umbrelllas, etc.

@ Sethos, your shots have something weird in them is it fog/mist? I like the last one with the boats in it ( #5) Also the shots are really clean, what are you shooting with?

the lil Nikon SB units I use aren't strong enough to be the main light. I don't know if any flashes are the strong at that distance. The trick is to mix the ambient with the flashes, and have the flashes help you out so that you don't have to shoot at ISO 3200 :p.

It'd be nice if the gym had good lighting, but a handheld shot at ISO 200 in that room is at about f2.8 1/30. Not very good for sports :p

@ Sethos, your shots have something weird in them is it fog/mist? I like the last one with the boats in it ( #5) Also the shots are really clean, what are you shooting with?

It was a bit foggy last night and as some of the shots are in the distance, it shows that much more.

And I'm shooting with a bog standard Canon EOS 500D with the 18-55 kit lens.

Hmmm that may be a factor, I shoot mostly in JPEG. I thought it was just lightroom addding the noise. :wacko:

I used to be also, but oh my god, shooting in RAW makes SUCH a difference, I mean it's not very noticeable here but have a look:

JPEG:

End_HOV_The_Line_by_richardsim7.jpg

RAW:

End_Hove_The_Line___Remastered_by_richardsim7.jpg

Yea basically, shoot in RAW whenever possible captures more details. then when in LR set to greyscale dont just desaturate the photo. and the play with highlights, light, darks and shadows in teh graph and you can uniquely chanhe everything basically, and then when needed use the blacks detail and the adjustment brush for other adjustments.

4392271079_c569f0abbf_b.jpg

Canon 5D Mark II.

Canon 85mm f/1.8 @ f/2.5

Canon 430EX @ 1/8th power shot through 42" umbrella camera left

Pocketwizards