Official WWDC thread

Uh-oh: Nine fans in this thing. But they're all independently controlled, and in fact, it's a lot quieter. At normal use, it's 35 dBA, which is twice as quiet as the current G4 tower. Handles are still there, but they don't stick out quite as much. They're also the same aluminum as the rest of the enclosure.

Thank **** for that. ****ing amazing

The mesh on the front acts as an intake, some advanced **** going down here ;)

sweet ! .. but 3000 ouch ! hopefully its gonna be quick !

excuse me while i go sell myself on the street corner to raise money for this..

:o maybe if i sell my sperm or something :(

The product: Dual & single processors, up to 8 GB memory. Fast enough to transfer an entire DVD to memory in 1 second. 4x SuperDrive. GeForce FX5200 Ultra chip in low end models, Radeon 9600 Pro in high-end model. New case design - all aluminum enclosure. Four separate thermal zones. Computer-controlled cooling system with 9 fans - each independently speed controlled. Down to 35 dBA...twice as quiet as the latest G4.

Single or dual G5 processors, up to 8 GB memory, up to 500 GB disk space, 4x SuperDrive, and much more. The new Power Mac G5.

1.6 GHz, 256 MB, 80 GB, GeForce FX5200, 4x SuperDrive - $1999

1.8 GHz, 512 MB, 80 GB, GeForce FX5200, 4x SuperDrive - $2499

Dual 2.0 GHz, 512 MB, 160 GB, Radeon 9600 Pro, 4x SuperDrive - $2999

Best Dell Computer comparable to Dual 2.0 is over $4000, and it's still not powerful enough.

The Power Mac G5s ship in August.

It is the world's fastest personal computer.

Three models. $1999 for the first (1.6/256/80/GeForce). $2399 for middle (1.8/512/160/GeForce). $2999 for the third (2x2.0/512/160/Radeon). As always, you can always custom-configure also.

[ 11:31 ] Comparison to Dell's top of the line, a dual Xeon at 3.06 GHz, with similar features. Costs $4,031 from Dell, compared to $2,999 for the top-end G5. "From now on, anyone who tells you Apple's high-end machines are more expensive than PCs," Steve says, "you can tell them where to look." The new G5s ship in August.

****ing compared to a dual 3.06 XEON!!!!!!

Jesus ****ing christ!!!!!!!!! There's your 3k right there!

Down to 35 dBA...twice as quiet as the latest G4.

the "down to" makes me think thats as quiet as it can get. am i reading that wrong? seems to suggest it'll be louder than that on average

I can allready tell you that Apple will stay with the market share they have now and will not go up anymore because the ones who would buy this have macs to start with. This is a bad step for Apple. I'm a fairly big apple fan but I'm being realistic that no consumer will pay that much for a computer unless they know about it firsthand and that other 90% of the market doesn't so thats that.

Down to 35 dBA...twice as quiet as the latest G4.

the "down to" makes me think thats as quiet as it can get. am i reading that wrong? seems to suggest it'll be louder than that on average

Yeah, most macs have stages of fans, where heavy usage the fans speed up, so it'll probably get louder, but not as loud as the G4's

:rolleyes: its not a competition. i just think its great that everyone is getting awesome stuff like this

You're right. If MS is smart, they support this open standard protocol for their products. :D

I can allready tell you that Apple will stay with the market share they have now and will not go up anymore because the ones who would buy this have macs to start with. This is a bad step for Apple. I'm a fairly big apple fan but I'm being realistic that no consumer will pay that much for a computer unless they know about it firsthand and that other 90% of the market doesn't so thats that.

Save it for another thread, this is news.