• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Panther Pre Release

doofy    0

looks pretty good... so gator, panther really works good on your ibook ?

akuma-x    0

How big is the install?

How many gig's of space will be needed to run it?

aaron901    1

is this the final version that Apple is going to release in Sep or they're still working on it?

Redmondian    0
After watching the keynote address that Steve Jobs gave, I am seriously thinking about switching to a Mac :-). I like how they made Fast User Switching work. Let's not forget, Expos? has to be one of the coolest things I have ever seen!

:)) I agree Mac OS X and the hardware is nice. But be wary of Steve Jobs. He is the ultimate master of illusions.

Read:

http://www.wininformant.com/Articles/Index...ArticleID=39381

macster    0

YA Steve Jobs has a RDF (Reality Distortion Field)

aaron901    1

btw, no piles... :(

Diata    0
is this the final version that Apple is going to release in Sep or they're still working on it?

i believe theyre still working on it...this is just the version they released to developers. im sure its close to the final though, and i too am dissapointed that there are no piles, they seemed awesome. o well, perhaps in future builds...

Cara    0

The word from me as a Moderator is that discussing Panther is NOT against the rules as the release was released to developers legally by Apple at the WWDC, therefore it is publically known about software with legal versions in the wild (developers).

Now, the majority of people using it are indeed warez users but if they just don't say anything and don't post where they got it there is no way to determine on the boards if they got it from the Developer's Conference or not.

End of discussion about if Panther is 'permitted' to talk about here.

Callaway    0

i take it the upgrade to Panther will require $$$.

sucks.

hoyablue    1

I don't know the full price but it is more than 100$.

the evn show    138

Steve said this would be a $130 upgrade. After having played with it for a while it's definetly worth the upgrade price.

Expos?, new finder, fixed UI consistency, iChat AV are worth it for me. If you disagree keep using Jaguar or Puma: nobody is forcing you to upgrade (unlike a certain major company that is actively pursuing perpetual licensing)

Dazzla    5

$129

I hope they won't be charging G5 purchasers that price. All they've said so far is that the G5's will ship with a copy of OS X 10.2.7 optimised for the G5's.

Tokiga    1

i think they said $125

TheBigLebowski    0

$130 for an upgrade is rediculous. We already paid out the ass for the damn hardware... and the jaguar upgrade... Ugh.

Dazzla    5

Jaguar won't stop working ya know :blink: No-one's forcing you to upgrade, Apple didn't just do all the R&D over the past year for free.

the evn show    138

What makes it so rediculous? Compared to updates from other commerical OS vendors this isn't overpriced at all:

Windows XP Home: $199 (dual processor machine: $299 because you need pro)

Solaris 9 RTU Upgrade: $249

Outrageous is the Solaris 9 Datacenter128 RTU upgrade - it's $400,000!

Gator    0

Geeze people, what a difference a year makes.

A year ago when Jaguar was being developed I think it was Dazzla who was the only one who installed it and he made a nice thread with a bunch of screenshots and discussion. No warez talk, no problems. Now, a year later it's like everyone and there uncle is aksing how to get/install Panther. Of course there was probably less than 25% of the amount of Mac users we have here now. Just funny how things have changed and how many more Mac users there are.

Lets not ruin a good thread. Onto some more tidbits:

-Mail is a lot better. Very noticably faster and as Steve said during the keynote it renders html very well. Message threading is very useful, almost like having your own personal forum making it very easy to follow important emails.

-On a GUI note, Quicktime is updated to have the recessed widgets and the new buttons like iTunes has. Another +1 on the road for consistency. Of couse the Finder is like -10 but there are more and more apps brushed metal these days and an aqua app is becoming the minority. Also, the login screen is different, basically no aqua as you can see in iCe's first few pics. I really like the look.

-I know many of use rarely do a shut down or restart, but this morning I restarted and I had planned on going to the bathroom in the mean time but it had already reached the login screen before I had left the room.

Steve    2

Anyone tried Command + Tab? ... it no longer Cycles through the Dock ....

but gives you this ...

app_switching.jpg

Elliott    235

but gives you this ...

http://homepage.mac.com/marceline407/.Pict...p_switching.jpg

You're having a strange conversation in the background there. :blink:

Dazzla    5

but gives you this ...

http://homepage.mac.com/marceline407/.Pict...p_switching.jpg

You don't know how much I missed that functionality when I was on my Mac :cry: So cool.

The Panther UI is looking so damn impressive, and for those who remember last year like Gator, the Jaguar UI wasn't finalised until extremely late on in the betas.

How cool?

securedelete.png

The pinstripes are so much more refined and subtle, I'm loving it too much :cry:

Geeze people, what a difference a year makes.

A year ago when Jaguar was being developed I think it was Dazzla who was the only one who installed it and he made a nice thread with a bunch of screenshots and discussion.  No warez talk, no problems. Now, a year later it's like everyone and there uncle is aksing how to get/install Panther. Of course there was probably less than 25% of the amount of Mac users we have here now. Just funny how things have changed and how many more Mac users there are.

Those were the days...

Steve    2

Another interesting post, come no guys, those "DEVELOPER'S" who got their "Free" copies should be showing everyone WHY we need 2 upgrade from JagWire (or XP, Dazzla :p)

Here's something else! .. Maybe we should start a new thread... so we can track down, as MANY new Features as poss?! :p

energy_saver.jpg

danbalsh    0

wow that's a cool feature NeYo, have you tried it out?

Dazzla    5

Look at the new style "tabs" on that dialog. I've seen them cropping up in loads of places in place of tabs. They look quality.

Steve    2

I don't have Panther *cough* yet. Good things come 2 those who wait ...

(2 more hrs :p)

I'll post my @$$ off, when its all good tho ;)