• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Panther Pre Release

Dazzla    5

Good man ;)

I'll be expecting some high quality grabs ;)

Steve    2
Look at the new style "tabs" on that dialog. I've seen them cropping up in loads of places in place of tabs. They look quality.

yea, i prefer them Dazzla, the old type tabs were like what Camino use(d)/(s) ... they were too "gel" / "aqua" like for me. These look better :)

lilmooonee    0
What makes it so rediculous?  Compared to updates from other commerical OS vendors this isn't overpriced at all:

Windows XP Home: $199  (dual processor machine: $299 because you need pro)

Solaris 9 RTU Upgrade: $249

Outrageous is the Solaris 9 Datacenter128 RTU upgrade - it's $400,000!

actually XP home is only 100 bucks for the upgrade....and M$ doesnt release OSes every year. Not that im trying to bash apple or anything :D

Gator    0
Here's something else! .. Maybe we should start a new thread... so we can track down, as MANY new Features as poss?! :p

Sweet, I didn't even see that one.

Do you guys want any pics of anything in particular, or just interesting things we find? I'm already behind in my work because of all the playing but what's another day. :p

Krook    0

Wauv - it can start up the computer at a specified time ! - to cool :)

hoyablue    1

REmember the days of Win98, 98SE and 98ME? That was outragious, Win98se was an improvement where as ME was a complete mess. At least we pay for more than bug fixes with Panther=P.

the evn show    138
What makes it so rediculous?? Compared to updates from other commerical OS vendors this isn't overpriced at all:

Windows XP Home: $199? (dual processor machine: $299 because you need pro)

Solaris 9 RTU Upgrade: $249

Outrageous is the Solaris 9 Datacenter128 RTU upgrade - it's $400,000!

actually XP home is only 100 bucks for the upgrade....and M$ doesnt release OSes every year. Not that im trying to bash apple or anything:D:D

Those were local prices - I live in canada, sometimes I forget the US dollar is worth 25% more than ours.

Dazzla    5

I think the new login looks ****ing sweet as hell as well. Someone took a snap with a digital camera but I can't remember where I saw it :(

Tran    0

I think it was iCel that took the snap of Panther's login.

Steve    2

Guys, i say, ANYTHING new in Panther, SHOW SHOW SHOW ... i am sure Dazzla alone would want to see it, but like Gator said, we're gonna miss certain things, so we'll all be learning here! ...

I think a new thread would be better, with all the Warez / Rules crap, it kinda ruins things a bit! :p

i am 2/3rd's complete of CD1 w000t!! :D

the evn show    138

what's wrong with CMD+SHIFT+3/4?

It will be stored in the root home folder (/var/root) so you can just open terminal and type:

sudo mv /var/root/Desktop/Picture\ 1.pdf /Users/yourusernamehere/Desktop/

Enter your user password and bing - screenshot located on your desktop.

Gator    0

Holy crap, I just enabled fast user switching. I am the only user, but with a click of a menu item the screen turns into a 3D cube and rotates to another side that is the login screen and zooms in and I am at the login screen. I click my name, enter my password and the screen turns back into a 3D cube rotates to my desktop side and zooms back in. Way too cool!

Anyone know how to take a screenshot at the login screen? The command+shift ones don't work.

danbalsh    0
Holy crap, I just enabled fast user switching. I am the only user, but with a click of a menu item the screen turns into a 3D cube and rotates to another side that is the login screen and zooms in and I am at the login screen. I click my name, enter my password and the screen turns back into a 3D cube rotates to my desktop side and zooms back in. Way too cool!

Anyone know how to take a screenshot at the login screen? The command+shift ones don't work.

:woot:

Your making me so jealous :p

Not long to go now :ninja: :devil: :whistle:

Dazzla    5
The word from me as a Moderator is that discussing Panther is NOT against the rules as the release was released to developers legally by Apple at the WWDC, therefore it is publically known about software with legal versions in the wild (developers).

Now, the majority of people using it are indeed warez users but if they just don't say anything and don't post where they got it there is no way to determine on the boards if they got it from the Developer's Conference or not.

End of discussion about if Panther is 'permitted' to talk about here.

:whistle:

Cowpie    0

Im on Panther as well, only problem was it sempt alot more memory hungry than 10.2, therefore I added 512mb of ram(Brining the grand total to 768), and now it runs beautifully, one interesting note however, I can no longer change the volume with the volume keys on my keyboard, only via the sytem...interesting, can still mute, just not change the volume....

usr.bin    0
I think the new login looks ****ing sweet as hell as well. Someone took a snap with a digital camera but I can't remember where I saw it :(

LOL, your losing it Daz. Check the front page of this thread. :laugh:

BTW, very nice eBay auction. ;)

Steve    2

nice one, whoever cleaned up this thread! let the FEATURES start ROLLING in!!!! :D

pmh    0

well its beta, what do ya want? hopefully it will be fixed in the updated final one

edit<Sorry, i was refuring to the keyboard volume issuse.>

Dazzla    5
LOL, your losing it Daz. Check the front page of this thread. :laugh:

BTW, very nice eBay auction. ;)

Yeah, I lost the plot for a moment then :wacko: :wacko: I was going crazy scouring every Mac site I visited this evening.

@Neyo, np ;) :whistle:

Steve    2

I think we could get used 2 u, being here as a Honorary member, hurry and get ya G5 man! ;)

the evn show    138

As I pointed out in the hardware/software forum: Disk Copy and Disk Util have been merged together. It's on stop shopping for fixing permissions, partitioning, erasing CDs, creating/burning/mounting images, configuring raid, restoring disks, converting images, calculating checksums, and enabling/disabling journaling.

Journaling HFS is the default partition type for panther. No more clumbsy "sudo diskutl enablejournal /" for me.

usr.bin    0
LOL, your losing it Daz.  Check the front page of this thread.  :laugh:

BTW, very nice eBay auction.  ;)

Yeah, I lost the plot for a moment then :wacko: :wacko: I was going crazy scouring every Mac site I visited this evening.

Wicked says your just blinded by Apple lust, which is perfectly understandable.

I'm having a slight issue with Panther on my iBook. I have the new password feature turned on for when the lid is shut, and when I open it again, sometimes the box doesn't come up and I have to cold boot it. And other times it waits for about 15 seconds before it'll pop the box up. Sure hope Apple gets this knackered out before releasing it because this, believe it or not, is the feature I'm going to be using the most on Panther.

Heh, and I just discovered that if the dialog box is up for longer than 30 seconds with no activity, the iBook goes back into suspend mode :wacko:

Dazzla    5

What's the advantage of enabling journaling? Is that a factor in the new super fast searchs? I knew it was available before in one of the 10.2.x releases via a terminal command but that's it :blush:

Wickedkitten    12
The word from me as a Moderator is that discussing Panther is NOT against the rules as the release was released to developers legally by Apple at the WWDC, therefore it is publically known about software with legal versions in the wild (developers).

Now, the majority of people using it are indeed warez users but if they just don't say anything and don't post where they got it there is no way to determine on the boards if they got it from the Developer's Conference or not.

i could have sworn i had already said that ta

usr.bin    0

i could have sworn i had already said that ta :p

:whistle: