Panther Pre Release

Just a hint guys, if you have your CD's from WWDC and are afraid to install them...

The buzz internal is that the DR is about 99% as stable as Retail Jaguar. ;) However, as with ALL (including retail) OS's, if it does bomb your machine it's not their fault (nor mine. ;))

All preferences you are use to in Jaguar are (should be) implemented, though they may not be converted over to the new look/feel. :)

i can't take anymore of these screenies man... it's just so "goOOOOd".. but i don't want to install this preview one...

arggggg... Apple is evil!!!!!

why not? they gave it to the developers...its not just some sh*tty build

i just don't want to install it twice. :D you know, i prefer a clean install. so if i install this build, i'm gonna format again when the final version is released.

i can't take anymore of these screenies man... it's just so "goOOOOd".. but i don't want to install this preview one...

arggggg... Apple is evil!!!!!

why not? they gave it to the developers...its not just some sh*tty build

i just don't want to install it twice. :D you know, i prefer a clean install. so if i install this build, i'm gonna format again when the final version is released.

just back up 10.2

i need some pics from 10.3 :D new gui, all buttons highlighted, and pressed, and the rollup pressed cuz if im not mistaken theres no highlight image, i also need inactive for it 2, if u can get me these i think id die :D thanks if u can and a close up of the logon where it says shutdown :D, these images would help me greatly, email them to xero21g@msn.com or post here :D thanks in advance

i need some pics from 10.3 :D new gui, all buttons highlighted, and pressed, and the rollup pressed cuz if im not mistaken theres no highlight image, i also need inactive for it 2, if u can get me these i think id die :D thanks if u can and a close up of the logon where it says shutdown :D, these images would help me greatly, email them to xero21g@msn.com or post here :D thanks in advance

Sorry, we are all under NDA and cannot give you anything from a prelease OS. :rolleyes:

Sorry, we are all under NDA and cannot give you anything from a prelease OS. :rolleyes:

I was going to say...

All images included in the Developer Release of Mac OS X 10.3 (Codename: Panther) are Copyright © and Trademarks of the Apple Computer Corporation and are not authorized for ripping by Windows Themers.

;)

Panther is ours guys, you can try to recreate from screenshots but for now I hope the community will agree we should keep this one to ourselves for now.

If ever there was a way for us snoby Mac users to make humble PC user hate us it would be to only post highly compressed images of our desktops. No high res pictures, no details, no roll overs, "theme this" a--holes ;)

I'm going to go through and start writting up a review/screenshot fest. I'll try and show most of the changes.

Keep in mind guys Apple is VERY interested in squishing Windows themes using the new version 3 Aqua images, to my knowledge they've already sent one Cease and Desist letter for one Panther skin and are watching for any others, and they do have eyes in the most unlikely of places. ;)

Has anyone figured out how to enable filevault and the secure trash?

I figured it'd be in the security pane but I can't find a damn thing.

Click "Finder-Secure Empty Trash" and you'll see three options.

nice OS, i installed it in my iMac and am amazed at it! Finder is faster then before, with a better interface, and the labels feature is amazing!I don't know why they ever took that feature out of the OS, but I'm glad its back. The redesigned ASP is nice too. My only gripe is that my Netgear MA101 wireless router can't work on 10.3 yet, since Belkin didn't release 10.3 drivers for their products (i use hacked belkins to work with my netgear). Ah well, back to 10.2, when 10.3 comes out I'm doing the full PC -> MAC switch! (Thats how much I love panther already)

Is monitor spanning still supported in Panther?

are you talking about on the iBook when plugging into an external monitor?

I am sure it is, and if not, there are ways to get it there. It is built with open firmware meaning you just have to hack it and you are set. (Y)

I installed Panther on a second partition yesterday, and I'm impressed. Very nice new features, and it's Snappier?. [rant] However, I don't like the new Finder. It's fast and all, but the GUI is horrible. First of all, I loathe brushed metal. Why do Apple insist on making every single one of their apps brushed metal? Now, that can be remedied, but the iTunes-like bar on the left is pretty stupid to me.. I'd rather have those "shortcuts" at the top of the Window, in the toolbar (like we have it now). Third, the desktop selections look dumb. Darker background around the icons and a blue label??

I really hope they'll give it some more thought and work before the final version is shipped. If not, I hope we can hack the crap out of the Finder to make it look acceptabl:):)

[/rant]