Which version are you getting?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Which version are you getting?

• PS3
    • Xbox 360

I am a huge FF fan but the more I read about this game, the less I actually want the game!

I am unsure what version I am going to get though :s

Am I right thinking the PS3 will load slower than the 360 or are there no load screens? I can't remember.

I am a huge FF fan but the more I read about this game, the less I actually want the game!

That's where I'm at right now. I was really looking forward to this until I started reading the reviews and now I'm not so sure. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to gauge everybody's opinion. If I can be swayed, I'll see if I can pick it up second hand.

That's where I'm at right now. I was really looking forward to this until I started reading the reviews and now I'm not so sure. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to gauge everybody's opinion. If I can be swayed, I'll see if I can pick it up second hand.

two reviews i usually go by are IGN and Ars so i'm waiting to see what they say

You missed the "none" and "both" options in the poll.

Well mmm, the point is discussion about playing the game, so I don't care if someone isn't getting it :p , and someone buying it for both systems :unsure:

Playstation magazine review is out.

5/5

Pros-

Crystarium system is great

Combat is great and requires more strategy

Visuals are amazing

Cons-

Extremely linear, although linearity has a purpose (it makes sense)

"Yes, you may feel like you're traveling through a tube most of the time, but it's the most awesome tube ever" - OPM

Excerts

No towns. No magic gauges. No experience points. For a game so long in development and so eagerly anticipated for years, it's odd that Final Fantasy XIII can, at least partially, be defined by what it lacks. In fact, characters have only three overt stats: Health (HP), Strength, and Magic. That's it!

Shocked? We were too - at first. But once we were locked in battle against a freakish cherub-faced cybernetic demigod bent on world destruction, stats were the furthest things from our minds.

PARADIGM SHIFT

Traditional JRPGs usually follow a template: Start in a town, travel through a dungeon to the next town, and repeat until you reach the final boss, with plenty of long cutscenes peppered throughout. FFXIII completely tosses aside that formula. Right from the opening sequence - which throws you into the action almost immediately, rather than prefacing itself with a lengthy expository cutscene - the game feels more like an action game than an rpg.

Most of the game is completely linear (almost literally so). We often had no choice but to travel down what's basically a tube, encountering enemies and cutscenes in a tightly controlled manner. But what we lost in control was more than made up for by what we gained in every other aspect. Square Enix has taken a genre it knows inside and out and trimmed away all the fat, leaving a lean, streamlined, and highly focused experience. FFXIII tells the story it wants to tell. Our task was to follow along, and develop the technical skills in battle to carry our characters through their story.

Traditionalists may find this stifling at times but that's the point. Our take? FFXIII has finally embraced the true nature of the series, which has always been about a set narrative with characters that you can only control in as much as you shape their abilities or pick what armor they wear and what weapons they wield. The role-playing has always been an illusion - a faux-freedom to wander around towns and chat with NPCs that lent the previous games a superficial feeling of control that often occurred at the expense of the narrative pacing. Here, game flow takes precedence, leaving behind our outdated notions of what a JRPG should be. And once we fully let those expectations go, it's impossible not to marvel at what FFXIII accomplishes.

This regimented format ties in with the central theme of its story as well; just as you have no control over your path, so protagonist Lightning and her teammates have been set on a course by powers beyond theircontrol, and it will take everything they have to break free of the shackles that bind them to an inevitably grim fate.

OLD AND NEW

A staple of the series, the Active Time Battle system pioneered in FFIV returns here with some major updates. Unlike slow, purely turn-based systems where time isn't a factor, the ATB system forces you to think quickly, since all movement, ally and enemy alike, is based on an action gauge that refills constantly, even while you're deciding what your next move will be. The object is to have your moves queued up and ready to unleash as soon as your gauge fills, and to never let a full gauge sit idly, so every battle is a nonstop assault with no room to take a breath until it's over.

Instead of controlling each party member individually during battle, you directly control only the team leader, while giving general orders to the other two active members through the Paradigm system. During battle, a Paradigm is always in place that assigns a specific role to each ally, like designating two teammates to offense and the third to healing. Each of the six roles can only perform one type of action - Commandos and Ravagers can only attack, Medics can only heal, Saboteurs and Synergists can only cast status effects, and Sentinels can only defend. Paradigms can be chosen from a customizable deck on the fly by hitting L1 during battle, so while you're responsible for the leader's actions, you're also coordinating a whole team as you decide which Paradigm to employ as battle conditions change. You might choose to attack all out at the start of battle and only fall back to a defensive posture as needed to heal, or for bigger enemies you might want to start with a bevy of buffs and debuffs before proceeding.

At first, the battle system feels almost too automatic, since you only have to make general decisions about how each character should behave, and you can even use an auto-command function on your lead party member so that she will automatically execute an optimal action from her basic repertoire for her current role (for other actions, like using items, special techniques and summoning, you have to input it manually). But as the going gets tougher (and believe us, it gets difficult), the nuances of the Paradigm system reveal themselves and the battles become more complex and absorbing, rather than less so.

CRYSTAL CLEAR

Similar to FFX's sphere grid (but way more user-friendly), each character has a Crystarium for each Paradigm role, and you can specialize each in specific roles as you see fit. With six playable characters to customize as you like, the possibilities for developing Paradigm strategies are vast. Adding to the mix, each enemy has a Stagger gauge that you fill by chaining your attacks rapidly, and when full the enemy is open to massive amounts of damage for a limited time. This adds another dimension to your strategy, since being too conservative will fail to stagger an enemy and prolong the battle needlessly, yet attacking too aggressively might open your party up to a KO. Enemy types vary greatly as well, with different strengths, weaknesses, behaviors and stagger rates, which forces you to utilize a variety of Paradigms and keeps the battles engaging.

In or out of battle, this game is gorgeous. It's almost surreal to finally play a Final Fantasy where the difference between gameplay and cutscene graphics isn't jarringly obvious. (We even found ourselves studying "hair-flowiness" to determine if a cutscene's graphics were in-game or CG.) But the graphics only represent the topmost layer of a pervasive meticulousness, and every last detail feels thoroughly polished. Whether you agree with the design choices - the forced linearity and lack of exploration - everything is deliberately and carefully considered. Yes, you may feel like you're traveling through a tube most of the time, but it's the most awesome tube ever.

OPM UK gave it 9/10.

thanks for posting that audio, everyone (reviews anyways) were saying it was just linear but i knew there had to be more then just a linear game...

thanks for posting that audio, everyone (reviews anyways) were saying it was just linear but i knew there had to be more then just a linear game...

With the flood of games that are coming out I'm going into this a bit more optimistically - I'm a big FF fan and swore to probably not buy this as I loved FF7-9 and their openness.

However with less time nowadays stuff like Borderlands and GTA4 not getting completed by me (boredom), maybe a more lean FF, that still manages to last 40-60 hours will be enjoyable and fresh, rather than one lasting 40-60 hours as you're running around spending ages talking to NPCs/finding where to go.

That's not saying I want every JRPG from now on to be like this, but I'll try this with a clear mind before judging.

Anyway I have the perfect companion for FF13, Yakuza 3, 4 days later, it's practically an open world Action/JRPG with mini-games and side quests firing out it's ass.

With the flood of games that are coming out I'm going into this a bit more optimistically - I'm a big FF fan and swore to probably not buy this as I loved FF7-9 and their openness.

However with less time nowadays stuff like Borderlands and GTA4 not getting completed by me (boredom), maybe a more lean FF, that still manages to last 40-60 hours will be enjoyable and fresh, rather than one lasting 40-60 hours as you're running around spending ages talking to NPCs/finding where to go.

That's not saying I want every JRPG from now on to be like this, but I'll try this with a clear mind before judging.

Anyway I have the perfect companion for FF13, Yakuza 3, 4 days later, it's practically an open world Action/JRPG with mini-games and side quests firing out it's ass.

that's what im thinking too. If i can get into a story and not get bored and want to stick with it then i'm game. I'm been so stupid busy lately that if i get bored of a game for about 30 mins and don't play it for a week or so, i won't go back to it (LBP i haven't finished and GoW2 i ahven't finished, which i will before GoW 3 comes out... hopefully).

You talk about GTA, i got bored of that too but i forced myself to play it (when i had no job) and loved it, same with Mass Effect. Nowadays i have no time for that.

Fuuuuuuuuu!

I thought it was end of month :|

Probably going to have to be this or Yakuza now, with GoW3 already pre-ordered for the 19th.

Still can't believe Sega chose to release Yakuza 3 now. Bad Company 2 was a must buy for me already this month. Had some extra cash for one of FF13, Yakuza, or GoW3 and ultimately went with FF13 (never really got into GoW, even on PS2).

Really wanted to get Yakuza but between the cut content and the art style - really don't like how cartoony it looks now compared to Yakuza 2 which IMO had a more "darker" feel and fit the game better... might just be the low-res PS2 graphics though :p - I just went with FF13, even though the impressions I've read seem to be slightly disappointing. Hopefully I'll enjoy FF13 when I play it for myself though.

Renting the PS3 version. After MLB09, GoW3, finishing the plats on BS2 and Heavy Rain, my Battlefield rental, and GTA Episodes coming, and I'd like to get back into Demon's Souls, so I won't have the time or money to buy this. Maybe Squeenix will show it at GDC, that may convince me, but unlikely.

Still can't believe Sega chose to release Yakuza 3 now. Bad Company 2 was a must buy for me already this month. Had some extra cash for one of FF13, Yakuza, or GoW3 and ultimately went with FF13 (never really got into GoW, even on PS2).

Really wanted to get Yakuza but between the cut content and the art style - really don't like how cartoony it looks now compared to Yakuza 2 which IMO had a more "darker" feel and fit the game better... might just be the low-res PS2 graphics though :p - I just went with FF13, even though the impressions I've read seem to be slightly disappointing. Hopefully I'll enjoy FF13 when I play it for myself though.

Sega sent it to it's death, idiots only have themselves to blame. They always screw up something bringing Yakuza here, first time it was blowing a wad of cash on "celebrity" voice acting for the EU/US release, second time it was not marketing the game, hardly stocking it and releasing it on the PS2s 7th year or something in the EU/US (years after JP) - GoW 2 year.

Everyone is talking about Resonance of Fate vs FF13 for this month, Yakuza 3 is ****ed.

It runs at sub-HD, think it's 640p or something, could even be 576p like FF13 on the 360.... Cutscenes look fine, gameplay looks slightly like an HD Yakuza 2, but a bit better. Either way I'm a huge fan of the series, I love the story and Kazuma just kicks ass.

Down to the resolution. The game renders at 1024 by 768 pixels, which actually puts it at the same rendering resolution as Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Then again, unlike MGS4, Yakuza 3 doesn't use anti-aliasing and of course doesn't feature as impressive graphics, meaning the picture isn't quite as enticing, but nor is the sub-HD resolution too offensive.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope has set a new record for the lowest resolution on modern consoles. A technological feat that should not happen from a studio under Square Enix: a developer that's producing what looks to be one of the best looking console games.

Source: http://www.gamezine....ns-$1270889.htm

Oh well at least it beats Star Ocean 4 :p Looks like the Japanese devs were/are still struggling with these consoles.

edit: On the note of Star Ocean 4, for FF13

American boxart is shiny!

Spine is generic Arial font.

PS3 version has inside cover art, couldn't confirm 360 version.

360 version is stacked discs like SO4.

I haven't fully read the review AB posted, I knew the game is more linear than the best FF games (I'm with you AB FF7-9 are the greatest!, but I enjoyed them all except X-2 never touched the MMO) But right now, a more linear experiance with a great story is far more appealing to me. Much like Heavy Rain, I am more interested in the "story" of a game than the action side and this is what annoyed me most with MW2 the SP campaign was dire. Sometimes roaming from town to town got teadious as I just wanted to continue the story, thank god for walkthroughs :blush:

2rwltuw.jpg

Look storedate broken somewhere in the world you can now all talk about your downloaded/pirated copies!!!1111

Oh wait you can do that anyway, Neowin, where leaked games discuss better :rofl:

In other news, it is 576p on the 360, those weren't just dodgy pictures earlier.

On beyond 3d they have high quality direct-feed grabs of the 360 version, confirming it's still 576p 2xMSAA.

Just the hair that still looks off

vzd6aw.jpg

r74nqx.jpg

Anyone order from HMV? They're shipping copies today, you should get it early on monday :)

PS3 pics

00077.jpg

69qpgn.png

I have to say, I am really excited for Final Fantasy XIII now. I have spent the last few months not being hyped at all by it, but now it is coming out, I am excited.

Resonance of Fate got a really low score at the site I work at but, not having played it, I don't think I can comment.

I have to say, I am really excited for Final Fantasy XIII now. I have spent the last few months not been hyped at all by the it, but now it is coming out, I am excited.

Resonance of Fate got a really low score at the site I work at but, not having played it, I don't think I can comment.

Uhhh is it RPGFan? If so your import reviewer gave it 88%, and gave FF13 85%.

I saw the game at a local underground shop, it was going for about 70USD, is that a lot?

Getting VERY anxious to play this game. Also turns out my New work computer will arrive on the same day, So at least my work day will go by quickly.

Uhhh is it RPGFan? If so your import reviewer gave it 88%, and gave FF13 85%.

Nope, it was RPGamer, but I'm a fool and have got it confused with The Last Rebellion.

I've played a bit last night (had a dinner with some friends damn it! :p)

Graphics are amazing (Bravia 40" Full HD)

Sounds great

Voice acting is superb +1

Controls are OK

And about gameplay I have no idea because it's my first FF, but it's the first JRPG I'm enjoying and that's a lot hehe :yes: