Which version are you getting?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Which version are you getting?

• PS3
    • Xbox 360

PS3 doesn't need to duplicate any data over the discs, I've got a feeling the 360 may have to if you can revisit areas.

I read somewhere that because the Blu-ray drive is quite slow developers might need to repeat data on the disc to reduce accessing and load times. Don't know how true it is but it's something to bear in mind.

I read somewhere that because the Blu-ray drive is quite slow developers might need to repeat data on the disc to reduce accessing and load times. Don't know how true it is but it's something to bear in mind.

Not EVERY developer has had to do that, it happened a fair bit in the early days. Most just stream textures nowadays, UC2 for example has one 1-2 min loading screen at start then nothing for rest of game.

PS3 FF13 has no install either.

There's no doubt the 1080p AVC videos will be taking up a lot of room though.

I'd say those videos take up most of the room compared to the game itself.

I've had my copy on pre-order for over a month now, did it when I also pre-ordered ME2.

Confirmed GameStop Will be having Midnight openings for select locations for Final Fantasy XIII

Here is a link to where you can look at the list for midnight openings.

LINK

30 (PS3) Vs. 24 (360) until now, I didn't expect that, looks like Square Enix nailed it making it multiplatform :yes:

yeah yeah at the end PS3 will sell a quadrizillion more but still interesting non the less

30 (PS3) Vs. 24 (360) until now, I didn't expect that, looks like Square Enix nailed it making it multiplatform :yes:

yeah yeah at the end PS3 will sell a quadrizillion more but still interesting non the less

from a business stand point it only makes sense...

This is Neowin Draken, EVERY poll except this one is usually a flood of 360 votes :laugh: A lot of people on here don't own PS3s, the rest are mostly multiplatform owners.

This is Neowin Draken, EVERY poll except this one is usually a flood of 360 votes :laugh: A lot of people on here don't own PS3s, the rest are mostly multiplatform owners.

ahhh go figure .......

Resuming my experience until now:

CGI cinematic ----> Run ----> Touch Static Enemy ----> Battle! a.k.a Press Auto / select ability, then enemy ----> Run ----> ABC ----> Run ----> ABC .....on and on and on .. :sleep:

A B C

All characters are heavy stereotypes, blah blah blah , yeah I know it's the JPRG formula but oh well, I don't think I'm going to last much longer :unsure:

Oh!! and yes, you can tell sometimes not always, that the cinematics are heavily compressed, usually in dark or fast motion parts. Hair textures are awful, Lighting hair is always fuzzy and blurry, well time to give it another try I think.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I sold my PS3 about 3 weeks ago as I needed cash for a deposit on my apartment.. that didn't work out anyway. i completely forgot about FF :(

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I sold my PS3 about 3 weeks ago as I needed cash for a deposit on my apartment.. that didn't work out anyway. i completely forgot about FF :(

fail.jpg

• Like 1

goodcg1.jpg.jpg

Am I the only one a bit disappointed that the actual game isn't as great-looking as the cutscenes? :p

But yeah, after reading that comparison it does sound like a lazy port. SE could have made it look fantastic.

That is the just barely noticeable. Sure, you can tell but honestly it doesn't scream port, let alone bad graphical port.

Sega sent it to it's death, idiots only have themselves to blame. They always screw up something bringing Yakuza here, first time it was blowing a wad of cash on "celebrity" voice acting for the EU/US release, second time it was not marketing the game, hardly stocking it and releasing it on the PS2s 7th year or something in the EU/US (years after JP) - GoW 2 year.

Everyone is talking about Resonance of Fate vs FF13 for this month, Yakuza 3 is ****ed.

It runs at sub-HD, think it's 640p or something, could even be 576p like FF13 on the 360.... Cutscenes look fine, gameplay looks slightly like an HD Yakuza 2, but a bit better. Either way I'm a huge fan of the series, I love the story and Kazuma just kicks ass.

Wow, had no idea Yakuza (and MGS4) ran at such crappy resolutions. Still tempted to get the game... I keep convincing myself I don't need to play it that badly but at the same time I'm thinking that I'm going to regret it when I decide that I do want to play it a few months down the road and the game's sold out everywhere or impossible to find.

that actually looks like crap on the xbox...

lol, it looks alright man, just looks a bit brighter on the PS3 to me.

Digital Foundry Face Off

Conclusion

So, occasionally fine, sometimes grim: a statement that effectively sums up how much of Final Fantasy XIII looks on Xbox 360 when compared to the PlayStation 3 game, meaning that if you own both consoles, there really is only one choice when it comes to the purchasing decision.

But bearing in mind that Oli Welsh's Eurogamer review is based on the superior PS3 build, commentary for those who only own an Xbox 360 is probably worthwhile. In this respect, Final Fantasy XIII is clearly still a worthwhile experience, despite the resolution drop and the frequently awful cut-scene quality. In terms of basic content, story, and core functionality, it's all there.

Despite the cutbacks, the in-game graphics are still attractive, the gameplay is fundamentally the same as the PS3 version and it's clearly a cut-above much of the other JPRG fare available on the console. That being the case, despite falling short in direct comparison with its PS3 sibling it's still a decent game, though I daresay that the retooling of the formula into a more linear experience with obvious cutbacks in the exploration element is likely to frustrate many of the core fanbase.

However, with Crystal Tools set to become the in-house engine for future Square products, you can help but hope for more time to be spent improving the Xbox 360 rendition of the engine, and if the company wants to rely so much on streamed video sequences, clearly there are some very obvious lessons to be learned from the Final Fantasy XIII experience.

I watched the giant bomb video lastnight, and the battle system looks very complex. But still looks enjoyable for me, think my wife will have more trouble :p . Can't wait till tuesday!!!!!!! :woot:

Wow, had no idea Yakuza (and MGS4) ran at such crappy resolutions. Still tempted to get the game... I keep convincing myself I don't need to play it that badly but at the same time I'm thinking that I'm going to regret it when I decide that I do want to play it a few months down the road and the game's sold out everywhere or impossible to find.

Yup it'll have a low print run that's for sure.

As for FF13 some mixed reviews as I'd of thought, most around 8 which is certainly still good but the linearity must certainly hurt a bit.

Secondly, the team had to find a way to compress over 32GB of CG to fit within the confines of three Xbox 360 DVDs - squeezed already by a copy protection mechanism that limits available space to a meager 6.8GB

That doesn't work at all by the way so it's totally wasted space at the end :rolleyes:

That doesn't work at all by the way so it's totally wasted space at the end :rolleyes:

Well it was put in place before MS could've known the 360 would get hacked so easily :laugh:

I'm just glad more people are confirming this nowadays, I remember a while back I got one of the worst grillings/whinefests thrown at me for saying a 360 DVD only allows 6.8GB of data due to security and absolutely no one would believe me cause my source dated back to 2006.

Ouch, Edge slated this, 5/10 - http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/review-final-fantasy-xiii

Some people don?t like numbers, but try this little sum. If you submit 25 hours of your life to a misjudged series of linear battles and cutscenes, Square Enix lets you play FFXIII, and you?ll get 25 decent hours out of it. It?s an equation that might just balance out ? but for who? Well, the fanbase, certainly, will find Lightning to be the Cloud substitute they?ve been yearning for, and in the hunting side-quests the grinding fix they?re after. For anyone less dedicated ? who wouldn?t really care if a Chocobo makes an appearance or not ? it?s more troubling. FFXIII is uncommonly beautiful, with a background fiction as rich as its story is poor, and at its beating heart is a battle system that stands among the genre?s finest. Its structural changes are brave, but in minimising everything that happens outside of that main narrative the baby?s been thrown out with the bathwater, leaving a potentially interesting world that you just don?t care about saving.

FFXIII takes brave risks with the series? foundations, but they ultimately create trembling fractures throughout the entire edifice, that robust battle system unable to support the weight of an entire world. Final Fantasy games are always an investment. This time, the returns are questionable.

Well they're going to have to make FF13 Versus less linear, that's for sure.