Which version are you getting?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Which version are you getting?

• PS3
    • Xbox 360

Wow. What did Famitsu give this game?

Btw, 1Up gave this game an A- and Gamespot gave it an 8.5.

I hope to god they change the art direction they've taken this series in.

Famitsu was 39/40, which actually caused tears to be shed as everyone expected 40/40 as it's big pockets square and easily bribed Famitsu.

and also:

Three words describe my time with Final Fantasy XIII: linear, repetitive and frustrating. I like variety in my role-playing games, and FFXIII just doesn?t deliver that.
Final Fantasy XIII will keep you busy for well over 30 hours. The question is, will you want to play it that long?

Really glad I'm getting the PS3 version...

But I think I'll be grandly deceived...

No towns, characters healed after each combat, and linear.

I've seen the International Trailer on Gamespot today, and boy it looks like FFX. The characters, the dialogues, the environments, the way to upgrade characters' stats (Sphere-grid like). Ugh. And I don't have that much money right now because of university, I hope I won't be deceived by spending this $70. I mean, it STILL looks awesome. FFX was awesome, but it just didn't have this whole energy the FF series used to suck me in. They did not repeat the same mistakes with FFXII, fortunately.

with all the bad reviews, i think ill wait and borrow my friend's copy when he is done with it. hopefully square comes out with FF14 quickly. cant wait!

Honestly I think the biggest problem with most of the reviews that are being posted is this. The Final Fantasy Series (of which most the reviewers have never played) Is a Japanese style RPG it is not like the Western RPGs they might be used to such as Dragon Age, Mass Effect, or Oblivion (oddly enough all Bethesda games) They start linear and move towards a more open feel after the tutorial bits. They are trying to tell a story more than they are trying to be a game. They have always been this way. Sure before Final Fantasy X you were able to walk around in an Overworld (which i preferred) however, they are attempting to tell the story from a specific point of view. the reason they do not give you as much freedom is to attempt making the story clear and easy to follow. Not to mention if you only allow the player certain places to go you can make them look much better.

Dragon Age and Mass Effect are Bioware games.

yeah i was going to say...

im picking it up for ps3. If the story is as good as everyone says it is and the battle system is good, then i'm game. And it definitely helps that the game looks absolutely gorgeous. Don't have time for the running and mulling around. Beside you are still going to get a good 30-40 hours of gameplay out of it.

Dragon Age and Mass Effect are Bioware games.

*cough**cough* i knew that... *walks away and hides behind something*(not a fan of western RPG games (except Blizzard games (not technically rpg games))

I think the large rift comes from progression of the genre. Western RPG's like Bethesda and BioWare games progressed RPG's in such a way that they took the RP "Role Playing" very literally. And they did it well. So well that old methods that made tabletop RPGs popular aren't focused on as much as much as in previous generations.

Square just did the opposite. They focused on presentation, cinematics, and table top RPG while turning a blind eye to the way the rest of the RPG's progressed. And most of this is because of their audience. Fans of JRPG's are not looking for choice and character development. They're looking to play Advent Children with a controller. Which is what Square gave them.

I honestly don't know how Square survives as a company without progressing to the next level past FFVII/Tactics. And for any other company, the consumers won't have that and would consider it stale. I guess Square has to thank it's millions and millions of fans, and by doing that, giving them what they want.

• Like 2

I wish they would just go back to the FF I-III days. Or at least go back to your most cherished FF VII and use that as a template.

I don't know where most of you come from gaming-wise, but there was more than just "story" to the Final Fantasy games. Now, that's all anybody hangs their hat on (just look at the last few pages on this thread - "I play it for the story!" blah blah). If that's the case, then you are getting suckered for a $60 movie. For me, all I need to read is the linearity parts of these reviews and I'm done. FF brought great puzzles, made you think, made you spend time exploring, talking.

I think the large rift comes from progression of the genre. Western RPG's like Bethesda and BioWare games progressed RPG's in such a way that they took the RP "Role Playing" very literally. And they did it well. So well that old methods that made tabletop RPGs popular aren't focused on as much as much as in previous generations.

Square just did the opposite. They focused on presentation, cinematics, and table top RPG while turning a blind eye to the way the rest of the RPG's progressed. And most of this is because of their audience. Fans of JRPG's are not looking for choice and character development. They're looking to play Advent Children with a controller. Which is what Square gave them.

I honestly don't know how Square survives as a company without progressing to the next level past FFVII/Tactics. And for any other company, the consumers won't have that and would consider it stale. I guess Square has to thank it's millions and millions of fans, and by doing that, giving them what they want.

Best analysis yet Masive (Y) +1 to your post.

I was expecting Oblivion with Neon-bubblegum-esque characters and turn based combat, but like you've said is more plugging the controller to an interactive CGI movie. This is a game for Japs, PS3 is the way it's meant to be played, period.

Say what?

Have you not seen the backlashes to FF13's linearity? laugh.gif

Gametrailers - 8.6

Also, I'm asian (Filipino to be exact) :p

but I got over jrpgs after lost odyssey bored me to death

yeah i tried lost odysses and i got bored...

Not interested in this at all. FF has been **** since 8. Thanks anyway, Square!

Yup! Totally agree... despite the general consensus, FF VIII is still my favorite though XIII looks very intriguing and i will be trying it. Up until now anything from 9-12 pretty much killed it for me... never even finished any of those ones.