Show us your workstations!

So, I haven't fully tested the "10 hours of battery life" thing yet, but it's always cool when you wake it up and for a few minutes it says it has 2/3 of a day of battery life.

post-131676-1271977569506.jpg

^wrong thread buddy, workstations not desktops.

I was making a comment about the battery life from a previous posting about a new MBP which I purchased last week, but thanks for playing.

I was making a comment about the battery life from a previous posting about a new MBP which I purchased last week, but thanks for playing.

While posting a picture of your desktop which this thread is not about

Chill. There's no need to jump down the guy's throat. While we're at it, you didn't post your workstation while you complained.

So, I haven't fully tested the "10 hours of battery life" thing yet, but it's always cool when you wake it up and for a few minutes it says it has 2/3 of a day of battery life.

Prepare to be disappointed when you do try it, expect 1/4 of a day maximum.

Prepare to be disappointed when you do try it, expect 1/4 of a day maximum.

+1

They calculate the battery life by disabling pretty much everything that consumes power. This includes:

- Disabling WiFi, Bluetooth

- Backlight on dimmest setting

- No applications running

Of course, everyone uses WiFi, and probably runs applications on their laptops too, so actual battery life probably won't be as high.

+1

They calculate the battery life by disabling pretty much everything that consumes power. This includes:

- Disabling WiFi, Bluetooth

- Backlight on dimmest setting

- No applications running

Of course, everyone uses WiFi, and probably runs applications on their laptops too, so actual battery life probably won't be as high.

So, when I travel, which is fairly often, I have no need for 802.11 or BT on the bird, and I often dim my display to save battery life and keep the joker next to me from looking in on what i am doing. Having said that, this scenario would be ideal.

MacWorld did the Test didn't they? He got about 4hrs watching a Video.

I got my MB last Oct. and took it down on a 9hr trip to Missouri. I put movies on it for my daughter, she could watch 2 movies (apr. 1.5hrs in length) and I was left with 10% battery left. But I had Backlight low, Wifi turned off, BT off, WeatherBug off.

;)

I get 4hrs of web use on my unibody13in MacBook with brightness at 1/2 and wifi on and BT off and KB light at the lowest setting (not off). I also have a last gen unibody 15in and with the brightness on auto, and wifi on and bt off I get about 8hrs just browsing

On my 17" (Rated for 8 Hours by Apple, its a Core 2 Duo model) I get about 4 hours surfing and watching a video with brightness on full and WiFi activated. If I turn the brightness down to half I can edge that out a bit.

My workstation.

I bought a Dell 2407WFP which arrived yesterday, and I'm using it with my Dell 2007WFP. Hopefully later this year I'll get another 2407WFP, so I can have a better dual monitor setup.

dsc0826dl.jpg

My term-time workstation, taken April 1st.

dsc0547f.jpg

The result of the cable management I did a couple of weeks ago.

dsc0634j.jpg

Nice setup, but you really shouldn't store your optical media in direct sunlight.

That's a good point. Luckily, the room faces north, so it doesn't really get any direct sunlight, but of course your point still stands. I happened to move them the day after that photo was taken, and they haven't been on a window sill or in direct sunlight since :)

My workstation.

I bought a Dell 2407WFP which arrived yesterday, and I'm using it with my Dell 2007WFP. Hopefully later this year I'll get another 2407WFP, so I can have a better dual monitor setup.

dsc0826dl.jpg

[snip]

Well, you better hurry and get a 24" monitor if you want to get the same brand and model as your current 24" monitor because from time to time, they change their monitor and/or stand designs.

I bought 2 22" monitors and later I was going to get a 3rd monitor in same size and same brand but they are out of stock and they are no longer making 22" monitors... they are currently offer 23" 25" 28". Which I am thinking of getting a 25" and put it in between my 2 of 22" monitors.

Nice setup, by the way.

Well, you better hurry and get a 24" monitor if you want to get the same brand and model as your current 24" monitor because from time to time, they change their monitor and/or stand designs.

I bought 2 22" monitors and later I was going to get a 3rd monitor in same size and same brand but they are out of stock and they are no longer making 22" monitors... they are currently offer 23" 25" 28". Which I am thinking of getting a 25" and put it in between my 2 of 22" monitors.

Nice setup, by the way.

Thank you. I got the 2407WFP second hand (it's in excellent condition). Dell haven't sold them for quite some time, as it has been succeeded by the 2408WFP and the U2410. So any other 2407WFP I buy will be second hand too. I've seen quite a few 2407WFP monitors for sale recently, so I'm sure I'll be able to get another in the future. I've had my 2007WFP since new though (I bought it in October 2007).

After seeing all those setups think I need to get dual screens! Currently have just one S2409W, was thinking about getting something bigger to replace, but maybe I should just get another of what I already have.. will be a bit of a tight fit though.

Current setup (hasn't changed since December when the picture was taken, except for Windows 7 upgrade):

WorkstationDec2009.jpg

WorkstationSep20092.jpg

Still runs amazingly well with the i7 and SSD

I usually have another of the same monitor, but that's down at Uni at the moment. I want to repaint the walls a creamy colour, but I don't have the time/money right now. :p

DSC_0164%202.JPG

Personally I don't use a secondary display all that much. I have for a while and only really had IRC open on it and that was all.

Each to their own I guess.

Personally I don't use a secondary display all that much. I have for a while and only really had IRC open on it and that was all.

Each to their own I guess.

My kids get a kick out of my setup

there's always something going on on both screens, they have a hard time understanding my multitasking style

Once we are done moving will finally post a shot of my setup

My kids get a kick out of my setup

there's always something going on on both screens, they have a hard time understanding my multitasking style

Once we are done moving will finally post a shot of my setup

Haha yeah, I had two displays for a while at Uni because I was using the other for my Xbox for one day (It broke the following morning, the second day I was there in Spring Term), as such I connected it to my laptop and my friends were all amazed by how I could drag windows across from on display to another. :laugh: