iPhone OS 4.0: Hopes and Predictions

It'll update to 4.0. It just won't run services like multitasking. Although I think it's understandable that old hardware like the 1st gen iPhone isn't supported, it's kinda disappointing that a 3G won't. Not that it'll affect me much since I have a 3GS.

Looking forward to the multitasking but disappointed there wasn't a UI change.

It can most likely support it. Much easier not to say something is supported if it doesnt give the ux that apple wishes (ie, gets slow quickly).

It looks like we could see the iPad UI on the iPhone:

iPhoneOS4Pic10.png

Nope. That's Articles, a Wikipedia app. It just looks like that.

As for the 3G supporting multitasking, I highly doubt it. The processor would get bogged down by any background tasks and the amount of memory would be extremely constrained. You might be able to get two apps into memory before things start getting pushed out. It wouldn't feel like multitasking at all.

Nope. That Articles, a Wikipedia app. It just looks like that.

As for the 3G supporting multitasking, I highly doubt it. The processer would get bogged down by any background tasks and the amount of memory would be extremely constrained. You might be able to get two apps into memory before things start getting pushed out. It wouldn't feel like multitasking at all.

*Cries* cry.gif

I've stopped using Folders for now. While they're awesome, iTunes doesn't support them yet, so it's not uncommon for iTunes to, at this point, just get confused by them and basically purge your device of your downloaded apps. :pinch:

I've stopped using Folders for now. While they're awesome, iTunes doesn't support them yet, so it's not uncommon for iTunes to, at this point, just get confused by them and basically purge your device of your downloaded apps. :pinch:

If you're using Folders for apps then iTunes will refuse to back up your iPhone.

If you're using Folders for apps then iTunes will refuse to back up your iPhone.

Yea, I was noticing that too. It's backing up and syncing just fine now that I stopped using them.

I just hope Apple sets a standard for games on the App store.

'Each game needs to pause when closing (Sorta like Tap Tap Revenge on iPhone OS 4.0), I think this would be multitasking for the iPhone 3G.'

Apple should allow some form of multitasking for the iPhone.

'Also for music apps, they should be able to play in the background like the iPod app, the iPhone 3G supports it and YOU know it'

They need to change the multitasking and folders background. IT'S FUGLY APPLE sick.gif

Folders should open a whole new dashboard for itself.

I just hope Apple sets a standard for games on the App store.

'Each game needs to pause when closing (Sorta like Tap Tap Revenge on iPhone OS 4.0), I think this would be multitasking for the iPhone 3G.'

Well done apps/games already do this, and Apple has urged developers since iPhone OS 1.0 to save their app's state upon closing. They're still urging developers to do this, because if too much memory is getting used up, your app is going to get forced out of memory. If there's a significant difference to the user when a developer's app is forced out of memory (closed) vs. being in memory, that developer has failed big time.

Apple should allow some form of multitasking for the iPhone.

'Also for music apps, they should be able to play in the background like the iPod app, the iPhone 3G supports it and YOU know it'

I agree that the background audio API could definitely be put on the iPhone 3G, but it's much easier to just say "This device doesn't support multitasking." Apple gets people buying new phones and developers get better hardware to play around with. :p

They need to change the multitasking and folders background. IT'S FUGLY APPLE sick.gif

I agree that it could use some tweaking, but it really looks much better in person. The camera stills and screenshots (since you're viewing them on a lower DPI screen) make it look awful.

Folders should open a whole new dashboard for itself.

There's no reason for a folder to throw users to a separate SpringBoard. Opening up a panel within the SpringBoard is intuitive. It's easy to see the transition and how the hierarchy works. Folders do have a pretty small size limit, but it really just encourages better organization (like separating Puzzle Games and Action Games into their own folders, or games from ngmoco vs. games from Freeverse).