Safari 5.0 - Your verdict?

Has anyone else noticed a vast increase in Flash crashes since upgrading?

I've had two of those since upgrading. With the Flash player in version 10.1.

Yea, I imagine there will be a few kinks that have to be worked out between Safari and Flash with the introduction of the new Core Animation integration for Flash.

Yea, I imagine there will be a few kinks that have to be worked out between Safari and Flash with the introduction of the new Core Animation integration for Flash.

Hopefully not all collaboration between Adobe and Apple has ceased ever since their little iOS vs Flash clash broke out. :/

why use sfari when there's chrome/firefox. i dont get it :shifty:

Because of personal preference. I like Safari on my Mac. I've played around with Sarfari on Windows. Like iTunes, I think people who bash Apple software on Windows blow everything way out of proportion. Safari for Windows run perfectly fine and doesn't look grossly out-of-place as everyone seems to keep shouting. I certainly think it is snappier than Firefox, IE, and Opera, but my personal preferences pull me towards Chrome for Windows.

All-the-same, I read in some benchmarks that Safari for Mac uses a lot less processing power than the competing web browsers (in html5 and flash rendering especially, not sure why Flash runs better exactly). So less processing power = longer battery life for my MacBook Pro.

I like Safari 5 just fine so far. Seems more incremental to me. The Safari Reader is OK, but nothing earth shattering. They really need to include Safari Reader in Mobile Safari on the i-Devices IMHO. It would be a lot more useful there.

yeah there is, games run faster (well for me anyways), most of my apps that I personally use work perfect in XP (not soo much in vista/7) and my x-fi card works better in XP. And i love the classic gui more then the new aero one.

/off topic

Games run faster , but old graphics (dx9)

Compatibility + Xp Mode makes every app run gr8 on 7

X-fi card , hmm nothing can be done for it , but just try 7 once with it

Classic , you can get it in any windows :)

But beware of xp , 10 years means lots of viruses ...

I would say that drivers are the problem then. You can always switch to the classic theme in Vista or 7. There are advantages to Aero (hardware acceleration being one) anyway.

On topic, with the right extensions, I could see myself using Safari more. Now, just waiting on flash block and smooth scrolling add ons.

Games run faster , but old graphics (dx9)

Compatibility + Xp Mode makes every app run gr8 on 7

X-fi card , hmm nothing can be done for it , but just try 7 once with it

Classic , you can get it in any windows :)

But beware of xp , 10 years means lots of viruses ...

i have no beef with dx9, i have yet to see any games really look any better or have it worth the barely any sort of eye candy difference between dx9/dx10/dx11 thats worth the performance hit.

i have tried my x-fi in windows 7, the problem is it doesn't sound as good and i have weird issues like CMSS not working and other x-fi type things not working (it's all creatives fault, their drivers are garbage) where as everything works flawlessy in XP. I swear it's an creative thing. I know they love xp more (microsoft changing completely changing the sound stack made things suck for x-fi owners).

In terms of the classic gui, the classic gui IMO looks and runs better in XP. The problem is that XP is built around it, where as vista/7 is built around aero. If they had the exact same classic gui in windows 7 i would be using windows 7 in a heartbeat. I still have windows 7 installed on another hard drive, i just also select the xp drive when i boot up.

i know windows 7 is better, anyone who says it's not is an idiot. i know this. but i just like XP more... it's just more minimalistic.

/off topic

Has anyone else noticed a vast increase in Flash crashes since upgrading?

Yep, I've gotten flash crashes right and left, more so since I've moved to Flash 10.1. It's hardly site-specific. I'm at least happy that when Flash does crash, it typically doesn't kill the browsing session.

Enough with the Windows XP chat, seriously guys. The os has extended support until 8 April 2014, so till then people are going to use it and probably further in some cases... this is not the place to argue the point.

As for flash, I've not had a single problem at all, but I didn't upgrade to the new version afaik. I'll check and get back to you on that.

Edit: yup Version -> MAC 10,0,42,34 and I've had zero issues in Safari 5.

I like it but as I said on the homepage I do not like the way it loads in the address bar, I preferred the Safari 4 loading bar.

Yep, I've gotten flash crashes right and left, more so since I've moved to Flash 10.1. It's hardly site-specific. I'm at least happy that when Flash does crash, it typically doesn't kill the browsing session.

+1 Safari never crashed on me before, I think it all started since I moved to Flash 10.1 too.

Come on Adobe... :whistle:

Compared to Chrome 5, Safari 5 continuously had this initial delay on my Mac before it would load a webpage. Dumping all of Mac OS X' cache fixed this initial delay problem. I used Maintenance to do this, but there are tons of other applications out there that can do the same. Free or otherwise.

Safari 5 has a very annoying bug of reloading the last closed tab whenever I reply to a message or topic here on Neowin. Oddly enough, though, it only seems to affect Neowin and other IPB-powered boards. On top of that, I also can't use the RTE... Uploading images, for example, will work but I can't click on the link to automatically add them to the posted message. This worked fine in Safari 4. I'm guessing a WebKit update has broken a few things that will probably be fixed in 5.0.1.

Compared to Chrome 5, Safari 5 continuously had this initial delay on my Mac before it would load a webpage. Dumping all of Mac OS X' cache fixed this initial delay problem. I used Maintenance to do this, but there are tons of other applications out there that can do the same. Free or otherwise.

I have this stupid delay before a page loads on mine as well. I have to clean OS X's cache to fix that? Ugh. I'll pass.

And still, this page loads slow and lags when scrolling. Annoying as hell and is completely prohibiting me from using Safari anymore. Pathetic.

I have this stupid delay before a page loads on mine as well. I have to clean OS X's cache to fix that? Ugh. I'll pass.

Okay...

And still, this page loads slow and lags when scrolling. Annoying as hell and is completely prohibiting me from using Safari anymore. Pathetic.

Scrolling through The Star website goes smooth as butter on my Mac, just like any other page I normally visit really, nor is it slow to load.

Yea, I've noticed scrolling has taken a hit in comparison to Safari 4. I'm not sure what they did to make it worse.

Extensions maybe?

Wow, nix everything again. No, Gentle Status Bar slowed down some pages, but others like The Star are still slow. I think it's Flash.

I just installed the Adblock extension for Safari 5 and restarted the browser. Scrolling performance suddenly took a noticeable hit on all pages. Disabling extensions once again immediately fixed the problem.

Basically anyone who uses Windows has no real reason to be using Safari other than for the text rendering options. Mac users can use it because it's one of the best for their platform. On Windows it's generally bad, same applies to iTunes.

+1 on that brother. If it wasn't for my wife's iPod Touch, iTunes would never be anywhere near my machine. Is it just me, or do those 'gel' buttons and blue 'gel' checkboxes look hideous? I just can't stand that UI look. That, along with the brushed steel makes everything from Apple look like it's from 1999. But that's just my personal preference. That alone though would keep me from installing it. Ugh. :x

That, along with the brushed steel makes everything from Apple look like it's from 1999.

I feel the same way about Windows Aero really... Reminds me of 2001's Aqua... To each his own...

Not sure what this thread has to do with iTunes and the iPod touch in the first place nor does Safari on Windows look anything like iTunes' UI, but there you have it...

I just installed the Adblock extension for Safari 5 and restarted the browser. Scrolling performance suddenly took a noticeable hit on all pages. Disabling extensions once again immediately fixed the problem.

Extensions being fully off doesn't help me at all on that "The Star" website. I just feel like Safari 4 would've scrolled it perfectly, though, and both Chrome 5 and Chrome 6 scroll it without a problem.