[WC2010] Game 05 - England vs. United States

Who do you think will win?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Argote

England vs USA... I think no game thread will be more popular on neowin until the semis or something... hehe

sn00pie

The US did draw. However, I wouldn't go as far as saying they played really well or anything. It was more so that England didn't have a particularly good game. Anyhow, looks like the US will be good enough to make it pass the other teams in the group.

Valerus

We looked really sloppy in the midfield today, and I was surprised to even get a draw. I was thrilled though.

Rooney looked invisible today, I was surprised. Onyewu did a good job and props to Howard for being freaking solid.

Richteralan

technically USA didn't draw the game. USA never goaled.

got lucky with Green's butterhands.

But very well played nevertheless.

mounty

It was always going to be a tough match for both sides, and this claim that the US doesn't rate in Associate Football hasn't been true for some while now - remember the Conf Cup final last year? Consider that quite a few of the US squad play for clubs in the UK and would be familiar with who they're up against. Both teams played OK for an opening match, with one school boy error from Green.

sundayx

I think that whilst everyone's blaming Green for the mistake, it's their inability to score more goals...

qdave

Rooney looked invisible today, I was surprised. Onyewu did a good job and props to Howard for being freaking solid.

Usa put too much defence on him..during the mid second half, he became much more active.

Damo R.

if it means anything the draw will make England improve the last 2 games because they have to!

Astra.Xtreme

If anything, this might increase the chances of both teams advancing as neither has to go into game 2 with zero points. Just a thought.

Alladaskill17

If anything, this might increase the chances of both teams advancing as neither has to go into game 2 with zero points. Just a thought.

Yes, I honestly see both England and the US going 2-0-1 in group stages.

deuz

not surprised, even though USA didn't play the greatest, they tried very hard and put it all out there, jumping at every ball where as england...i think their team was stuck at the hotel or something.... intersting how this group will turn out.

Damo R.
2j17f61.jpg
  • Like 1
Alladaskill17

2j17f61.jpg

Ha! Seeing that face on tv was awesome! They just kept the camera on Beckham and he just kept his eye on Green. :rofl:

Brony

seemed quite bad that a big high budget team like england cant win against a team thats still learning the game!

Indeed.

kev64

2j17f61.jpg

Looks like Beckham will get to kick some balls after all.

Alladaskill17

We all know what Rooney is thinking: If only we had a keeper of your ability, Tim, you are a worthy adversary unlike BUTTERFINGERS ACROSS THE PITCH :laugh:

WbTB1.png

USA USA USA!

• Like 2
Mathachew

I was surprised England didn't score more seeing as how they kept spreading USA's defense around. On the other end, it seemed like USA had nowhere to go with as "packed" as the area was in comparison.

Pikey

I think that whilst everyone's blaming Green for the mistake, it's their inability to score more goals...

Spot on!! .. at least now the traditional 'banana-skin' of an opening game is out the way , we can get down to business!

Jimmy0

Hope you're watching this ... no where close to that score :l

I know... typical England!

Whilst I agree that Green is an absolute plonker, England should really be putting away the chances we get, and creating far more than we did.

It all kicked off down the pub I was in, an American bloke went up to a bunch of England fans when they scored and starting shouting at them, so some massive bald guy just stepped through the crowd and floored him :laugh: needless to say his American chums soon pulled him off the floor and scampered off!

christophulus

Anyone want to see the goal in glorious ITV HD? :angry:

Hopefully he doesn't drop Green, he messed up but it's a slippery slope if you're going to dump your goalkeeper after the first match. What happens when James or Hart make a mistake - surely they'd have to go too? And that doesn't solve the real problem of the fact we can't finish our chances.

Oh well, first game out of the way. Fingers crossed for an improvement next time around.

c3ntury

It's not like you can watch Scotland is it? :p

LOL.

Antaris

I thought Green actually did quite well, and it was only a slip up that the ball went in anyway, not exactly blame worthy. His awesome save later on more than made up for it...

chicken-royal

Anyone want to see the goal in glorious ITV HD? :angry:

*snipped*

Yes. :angry: Most of the rest of the match was in SD too. :(

Doli

Lol just found this :p

AZ3g7.jpg

post-78314-12764565434281.jpg

:p