[WC2010] Game 05 - England vs. United States

Who do you think will win?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win?

• England
    • United States
    • Draw

I always thought adding an extra player on adds 30 seconds? So why did the ref stop bang on 4 mins? Or are the rules for ET different in the WC?

England's game is worst than expected. What an humiliating result against a second category team... :pinch:

No offense but having that kind of superior attitude and playing like that really don't go hand in hand.

I didn't think it would be a walk in the park and in a way I was right...fair result in the end really but England really underperformed

England always manage to **** up, there goes most of my financial interest in them :laugh:....and Green Again!

Hopefully they will still finish 1st in the group.

Could have been worse, but could have been so much better. There was a decent spell with plenty of opportunities in the second half but they fell at the last hurdle. All in all, fairly disappointing, but it could easily have been 2-1 to USA if Green hadn't knocked that shot into the post.

Frigging ITV HD. They put an advert on during the start. When the picture came on England had just scored. Why do ITV just suck at everything they do?

That was one annoying game. I gotta say that Onyewu was a blinding defender.

So once the USA gets the ball with that many people in the box, they have to slowly pass it out of their territory?

I'll do my best to explain the offside rule since I am not as knowledgeable as some members here about football.

You asked why doesn't the US just stay back and wait for the ball to be kicked to them when England pushed that many players for defense. The offside rule dictates that the offensive player(s) cannot be more advanced (closer to the other team's goal) than the second last defensive player (we're not counting the keeper) when performing an attack.

This is why players cannot just sit at the back and wait. They would be more advanced than all the defensive players and as soon as the ball was kicked in their direction they would be offsides.

I know I probably did a horrible job explaining it. It took me a while to get it myself. There are videos on youtube that would do a better job than me.

Hook line and sinker ;)

And watching Scotland in the World Cup is god awful laugh.gif

I'The offside rule dictates that the offensive player(s) cannot be more advanced (closer to the other team's goal) than the second last defensive player (we're not counting the keeper) when performing an attack.

You said the second-last defensive player. Therefore you ARE counting the keeper.

When England scored a goal at the 4th minute, I thought the game was theirs. Didn't expect a draw, really. lol

This year's World Cup promises lots of wonders.

IMO England played well. At least according to me, but they were not able to convert those numerous occasions into goals. I'd say they were not lucky. Nice performance. Also, the US did pretty well too.

GO ENGLAND!!!! :cool:

Just listening to 5Live, and they nailed it. Everyone is on about '66, and how our first match back then was a draw. People, we need to get over oursevles. That was 44 years ago, everything has changed. Not to mention we ALL hype the crap out of England playing @ the WC.