[WC2010] Game 05 - England vs. United States

Who do you think will win?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win?

• England
    • United States
    • Draw

Just listening to 5Live, and they nailed it. Everyone is on about '66, and how our first match back then was a draw. People, we need to get over oursevles. That was 44 years ago, everything has changed. Not to mention we ALL hype the crap out of England playing @ the WC.

england doesn't have a keeper... no keeper = no world cup

Attacking wise England was very good and I was happy with that, but his squad and team selection has let him down.

So he picks King as backup defender, then Rio gets injured, now we have a problem! He's got a backup defender that may not cope with the games if we get out of the group stages. ??

So today he starts King in defence instead of James in goal, because I understand you can't play two risks on the pitch. ?Who wasn't in goal? James, who didn't start the second half King! So now we've got to wait and see if King can start the next match. ?

Problem now we've got is, Green has made a major mistake in a tournament that in theory has cost us a win. ?Now other keepers in the past have made mistakes and they weren't treated nicely by the national side and the fans. ?

But I'm still annoying at the defence and keeper selection. ?He plays a defender who can't train often instead of a keeper who can stand the pain in goal (he's done it for Pompey he can do it for England) ?Physical a keeper probably doesn't have such a strain on his legs like a defender doing all his last ditch defending and staying strong. ?

And why did Milner go off or even start? Nothing to do with him being ill for the last few days..... ?I like Milner he can do a solid job on the left, but he was ill. ?

And another thing he took Gareth Barry, another person with an injury and was pushing it to get fit. ?He seems to have thrown the Fit and in Form thing out of the window.??

Again attacking wise we were good and I was pretty much enjoying England attack it was physical and fast. ?I enjoyed Lennon as well, he seemed to be effective for us. Its just the selection of the squad which annoys me.

What a thumble by Mr Green, we can't hack pressure even when there's no pressure to be had. As much as I wish for England to win the the World Cup it's just not happening, it's like thinking Totenham are going to win the Champions League next year... Not gonna happen :p

LOL, that was a nasty comment, hehe

I wonder if majority of Scottish, Welsh and Irish people are cheering for England or USA?

I wonder if majority of Scottish, Welsh and Irish people are cheering for England or USA?

Cheered for USA. Was expecting England to win however. :|

It's not like you can watch Scotland is it? :p

Low..... :D

Cheering for the English.

Heskey had a good game, didn't feel Rooney had much.

I think they had marked Rooney quite well, but because they did that they took their attention away from Heskey who was owning them. It wasn't until later in the match Rooney was becoming more active but by that time England were a bit spent.

seemed quite bad that a big high budget team like england cant win against a team thats still learning the game!

Something similar could be said for Mexico vs South Africa yesterday...

ITVHD messed up tonight during the first England goal, they went to adbreak during the run up!

Ton of booing Englishmen in the pub I was at :p

seemed quite bad that a big high budget team like england cant win against a team thats still learning the game!

Sorry but this is a ridicules statement, if a team that is ranked 14th in the World are still learning the game, then it does not state much for the game of football worldwide! This is a good hardworking American side that has one or two world class players and on a good day could beat any side in the world. In the final of the Confederations Cup they were 2 - 0 up against Brazil and did eventually lose 3 - 2 but played exceptionally well! England I thought were bloody awful, between Terry, Lampard, and a misfiring midfield, little or no real ball from the wings, Rooney was a passenger the entire match! Heskey had a golden opportunity to score and fluffed his lines so badly it was embarrassing. As for the keeper, not much can be said for the goal that he let in, at least he redeemed himself when he saved England from losing the match with a pretty decent save.

*AHEM*...Sorry, as the OP I should have enjoyed the game on the forums. But my buddy got a huge 3D-HDTV... yeah, we got extra glasses. AWESOME! So I have returned to talk sh*t, as an American.

USA are talking big but we'll see what happens on the pitch. We've had the strongest squad we've had since the 90s IMO.

Well, you sir.. OWNED.

I'm rooting for England, but will be so embarrassed if the US scores a single goal or gets close to winning.

You sir, have been embarrassed. It wasn't a pretty goal, but that's what ya get with your keeper selection. Also, they came close to winning multiple times and really were pushing and showing what they could do. Example: Rooney off sides and continued to play towards goal - got past Howard and shot; well USA didn't give up either, even after play. Blocked shot.

US doesn't stand a chance!!!

I predict England will be the winner of group C.

lol at all the guys that think the US has a chance :laugh:

I'll post a few pics tomorrow to show how big this thing is here in Europe.

Most of the streets around here are decorated.

US stands a chance, we had amazing defence!

USA USA USA

US stands a chance, we had amazing defence!

Funny how you use "We" when your country is doing well. I have no doubt it'd have been "They" (the players) if you lost.

Funny how you use "We" when your country is doing well. I have no doubt it'd have been "They" (the players) if you lost.

Nope, I support my country and my sports teams through and through. Not a fair weather fan like I guess you're accustomed to since that's your first assumption you felt you had to voice.

USA. No doubt.

Was quite weird being the only person in the pub cheering them too lol.

bitter much?

Oguchi Onyewu was **** hot tonight, I expected it to be a tough game but losing 2 points against the USA is unforgivable. Fabio Capello always knew how this World Cup was going to pan out and that's why he extended his contract before it started. He'll be fired when we fail to qualify to the group stages and end up getting a huge payout.

I hope this match improves the profile of football in the US because unlike England, they have clearly got a lot to give.

Yes, a little respect please for the USA. Even if you had won 1-0, you have to admit it was a job well done keeping a clearly much better squad to 1 goal, US's improved and played well - even if the draw was only because of a keepers fail.