[WC2010] Round of 16 - Germany vs. England (Match 51)

Who will win game 51?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Germany or England?

2. 2. How many goals will Germany score?

3. 3. How many goals will England score?

Yes they were robbed but they lost 4-1, ok give them that goal 4-2 they still would of lost.

Darth, I think you've been out in the sun too long.

:o

The way they looked no strategies would of helped.

Yeah but the mentality of the English players could've been different... but anyway it was 4-1 and Germany is in quarter finals, that's what matters.

Sorry England. Your team wasn't even close to deserving to win.

What I'm wondering now: Is the English press going to argue how their team could have won had the 2-2 counted for the next 44 years now?

GO GERMANY!

What I'm wondering now: Is the English press going to argue how their team could have won had the 2-2 counted for the next 44 years now?

GO GERMANY!

GOOD GAME for Germany...

and let's see if germany team can varies their attack in future games.... :laugh:

@simonpegg: To those saying it would have been 4-2 anyway, you're wrong. Go read Chaos Theory For Dummies. Might have been 10-2 but we'll never know.

nuff said. :p

great game. Germany was GREAT!

though I do feel sorry for that quasi-goal. something like that is not supposed to happen.

for neither team.

England would have won this game had that goal counted. Why do I say that? Because England scored the first and Germany were lost on the field which led to England scoring the second (had it counted). The momentum was clearly on England's side after that first goal and they immediately scored the second and they would have entered the second half with that momentum and they would have probably won the game.

Ref > England

English before this game: England wont make it far

English after this game: England was robbed

Moral of the game: Stop being a bunch of whining ******* and admit that Germany kicked the living **** out of England.

Germany actually surprised me how well they played. Gotta keep a eye on them....

I did tweet earlier that England got Blattered, but there is no need for the play on words now, we pretty much got battered!

I've always picked West Ham in Football Manager because in addition to the fact that I support them, I always wanted a challenge, on this showing, maybe I should pick England instead - That might be near enough impossible!

England would have won this game had that goal counted. Why do I say that? Because England scored the first and Germany were lost on the field which led to England scoring the second (had it counted). The momentum was clearly on England's side after that first goal and they immediately scored the second and they would have entered the second half with that momentum and they would have probably won the game.

Ref > England

england would have won if they played more as a team, 2-1 is not a major demoralizing situation, theese guys are professionals and have been in such situations all the time.

I am not English nor did I want England to win the World Cup but the facts are the facts and England got robbed. Everyone can debate the excuses for the loss but the fact is that England tied the game, got robbed from that tie, and in the second half Germany scored on two counter attacks because England was looking for the second goal they had already scored.

england would have won if they played more as a team, 2-1 is not a major demoralizing situation, theese guys are professionals and have been in such situations all the time.

They did play as a team once they were down 2-0. They scored the first goal and immediately scored the second goal but its hard for you to concentrate as a team when a ref clearly robs you from a goal that would have tied the game and made your team play more balanced in the second half instead of all out attack, exposing your defense.

Ref > England

unfortunately reality does not support what-if's and coulda, woulda, shoulda's :). Though i do believe the cohesion of the german players would of resulted in a win regardless.

L3thal you got it right there my friend!

dono if it would have stayed 2-2 tho our defence was crap, maybe 3-2 to germany in the end but it should never have been 4-1

unfortunately reality does not support what-if's and coulda, woulda, shoulda's :).

Unfortunately, the reality is the ref decided this game like the other ref decided the US - Slovenia game.

Am I the only one who is bothered that the refs have the say in some games in this world cup? This did not happen in the previous world cup nor the one before that.

I am not English nor did I want England to win the World Cup but the facts are the facts and England got robbed. Everyone can debate the excuses for the loss but the fact is that England tied the game, got robbed from that tie, and in the second half Germany scored on two counter attacks because England was looking for the second goal they had already scored.

They did play as a team once they were down 2-0. They scored the first goal and immediately scored the second goal but its hard for you to concentrate as a team when a ref clearly robs you from a goal that would have tied the game and made your team play more balanced in the second half instead of all out attack, exposing your defense.

the only fact is the ref made a huge mistake on not seeing that goal. the rest is speculation. even at 2 -2 somebody needs to make an attempt at goal or hold out for penalties. if we are going to speculate, then it should have been 2 - 0 to england, they shouldnt have made the mistakes to allow the germans to score in the first place.

L3thal you got it right there my friend!

dono if it would have stayed 2-2 tho our defence was crap, maybe 3-2 to germany in the end but it should never have been 4-1

Where exactly is the real difference between 3-2 and 4-1? It's not like the amount of goals changes anything in the KO phase...

Unfortunately, the reality is the ref decided this game like the other ref decided the US - Slovenia game.

Am I the only one who is bothered that the refs have the say in some games in this world cup? This did not happen in the previous world cup nor the one before that.

I'm hugely bothered, that's why FIFA need to get with the times and bring in some tech, for the plain and simple reason of making the game fair, every other sport has it why not football?

GO GERMANY!

If we had lost by one goal, then sure the press would be right to smack fifa about for it. But we were totally owned by Germany, our defense was awful.

Still, Fifa need to shut the hell up and introduce some form of action replay. When there's so much money in football it's ludicrous not to.

Fifa forever go on about "fair play" but then when a team does cheat i.e France they ignore it and let the result stand. That just sends out a message that it's ok to cheat. Same with Brazil's last game and the double handball that ended up as a goal.

For any Germans that say that this is revenge for Wembley, it's really not. The goal at Wembley shouldn't have stood as it didn't fully cross the line but this blatantly did.

Still, as above it will be down right pathetic if our press cry about the disallowed goal tomorrow and say we could have won if it was allowed. We couldn't have done.

Where exactly is the real difference between 3-2 and 4-1? It's not like the amount of goals changes anything in the KO phase...

no, but it wouldn't have been our worst ever defeat in world cup history, and you never know it might have stayed 2-2 or 3-3, I know its all speculation and what's done is done, Germany did play well I'm not denying that, but the outcome could have been very different if FIFA and the ref's weren't so sh*t.

GO GERMANY!

Could have been a very different game if it had been 2-2 mood and morale play a big part as well.

well exactly...kind of. Across the board the reffing has been **** BUT the top tier-teams, well at least the form ones have won their matches. The good teams in bad form(italy,france), the smaller teams in good form have also been knocked out to this point(korea and US). So england i highly doubt would of converted a 2-2 win. If by some chance england had held germany to 2-1, i would agree with your first post, but their form to this point has been mediocre to blaming the ref is the easy way out.

I am not blaming the ref for England losing as they were clearly outplayed by Germany, but I am blaming the ref for not letting England lose the fair way.

They need to have a challenge system like in American football! Throw down a flag or something to challenge a call that the ref made and have a limited amount of those a game (3 maybe). That way both teams won't be cheated out of goals and calls and refs won't be scrutinized if they make bad calls due to bad judgment.