For Apple Followers, It's a Matter of Faith

Sure, I waited in line for an iPhone 4, but mostly because it's a fun experience where I am. I got to meet new people, strike up interesting conversations, and get free food and coffee from the stores around the mall that come and basically cater. If the people were *******s and there were no perks, no way I would have waited.

Despite popular belief, people can think logically about Apple products. Sure, there's a cult following, just like there's a cult following for Google, a cult following for Microsoft, and a cult following for Sony. There are crazy people no matter where you go, but that doesn't mean the rest of us can't think logically about what we're buying and just enjoy what we want to enjoy.

I use Apple products, not because I think Steve Jobs is God, but because I like how they work. Mac OS X is indispensable for my work. My iPhone and iPad are as well (I actually got a job to make an iPad-optimized web app; without owning one, my product wouldn't have come out nearly as well because simulators can't accurately simulate performance).

I'm sure some dipstick on this forum is going to call me an iSheep. I don't care, but I'm going to put this here: I think the people that illogically hate Apple (and there are many) are just as annoying (if not moreso) than the ones that love Apple.

Steve Jobs isn't god though, he's the devil

Man, if you want somebody that looks evil, look no further:

eric_schmidt_hi.jpeg

I present to thee: Google CEO Eric Schmidt. :p

Disclaimer: I'm obviously just joking around here, but he really does look like the anti-christ. :laugh:

I got threatened with violence for saying "iTouch".

But that's completely different from the "Apple religion". I'm no Apple zealot but still think the word iTouch is wrong and it seems a few people do too (infact wasn't there a multipage argument on whether it is acceptable to call it an iTouch *cringe* on the forums the other week?)

But that's completely different from the "Apple religion". I'm no Apple zealot but still think the word iTouch is wrong and it seems a few people do too (infact wasn't there a multipage argument on whether it is acceptable to call it an iTouch *cringe* on the forums the other week?)

Yea, that sounds more like a grammar Nazi than an Apple fan. I only have a problem with the iTouch moniker because it just reeks of typing laziness (like how chat speak annoys the **** out of me). :p

Yup, I do get yelled at for calling the iPod Touch simply "iTouch" and it's true, Apple, thanks to its marketing, Steve Jobs and its wonderfully designed products, people get hooked. Welcome to the reality distortion field. Some do it better than others, but Apple definitely takes the cake here.

But seriously this is only one example. Some people will defend companies, places, political parties, etc. no matter how much evidence there is to prove them wrong. Apple is the most visible "cult" but there are many more.

Man, if you want somebody that looks evil, look no further:

I present to thee: Google CEO Eric Schmidt. :p

Disclaimer: I'm obviously just joking around here, but he really does look like the anti-christ. :laugh:

LOL.. are you serious.. this man looks nothing evil..

Google is probably the best company out there at the moment with most good done.. and a company that gives back to consumers the most for free..

Eric Schmidt is a pretty good guy in general.. that's why he's the CEO of Google..

On the other hand..

does this remind you of someone?

500x_xxapple1984_01.jpg

steve-jobs.jpg

Ironic how Apple became the worst of the companies they were targeting in their ads and talking to people they need to "free" themselves.. And right now they are the epitome of greed, egoistical behavior, anti-consumer practices and downright lies and deceit.

And btw, Jobs face anatomy is like Satan.. when he starts smiling, his eyebrows lift up and looks like the devil.. biggrin.gif

Overall.. Apple is probably the most rotten, most selfish, most controlling and egoistical company on the market.. the only positive thing I can say about them is that they are a good design company.. that's it.. for everything else they are really a middle man that screws over consumers, locks them into their platforms and later, when you want to switch to something else you really have to throw away all the money you spent on DRMed stuff you buy through their stores.. unfortunately people don't think about that and that philosophy only works and is ok, if you belong to a cult of Apple that's pretty sad by itself, and you are certain you will be using Apple products forever.

Talk about being completely detached from reality..

I much prefer to get a roomba and a HTC desire, or possibly a new auto for the price of the iPhone. And Guess what? likely be quicker and cheaper as well!

HTC desire and iPod touch would also be a decent combination - until angry birds gets properly ported :)

LOL.. are you serious.. this man looks nothing evil..

Google is probably the best company out there at the moment with most good done.. and a company that gives back to consumers the most for free..

Eric Schmidt is a pretty good guy in general.. that's why he's the CEO of Google..

On the other hand..

does this remind you of someone?

500x_xxapple1984_01.jpg

steve-jobs.jpg

Ironic how Apple became the worst of the companies they were targeting in their ads and talking to people they need to "free" themselves.. And right now they are the epitome of greed, egoistical behavior, anti-consumer practices and downright lies and deceit.

And btw, Jobs face anatomy is like Satan.. when he starts smiling, his eyebrows lift up and looks like the devil.. biggrin.gif

Overall.. Apple is probably the most rotten, most selfish, most controlling and egoistical company on the market.. the only positive thing I can say about them is that they are a good design company.. that's it.. for everything else they are really a middle man that screws over consumers, locks them into their platforms and later, when you want to switch to something else you really have to throw away all the money you spent on DRMed stuff you buy through their stores.. unfortunately people don't think about that and that philosophy only works and is ok, if you belong to a cult of Apple that's pretty sad by itself, and you are certain you will be using Apple products forever.

Talk about being completely detached from reality..

Man, somebody can't take a joke. I even put a disclaimer at the bottom of my post.

Butthurt much? You act like Steve Jobs killed your father and raped your mother. Well, he might have, and then Eric Schmidt came in behind him and stole all your personal information. :p Again, kidding!

BTW: The music I buy through the iTunes Store is DRM free. Movies, TV shows, and apps (duh, they only work on iOS devices anyway) are not, but they're not DRM free anywhere (legal in the US and most of the world).

Mind you, not all Apple product users are religious followers of the Cult of Apple. Most of them are perfectly normal.

Yes, they are.

Eric Schmidt is a pretty good guy in general.. that's why he's the CEO of Google...

Really? He's a ****ing hypocrite. Do you remember what he said on the wrongfully collected WiFi data via the Street Car? We're not going to delete it unless we're ordered to, LOLOL.

Yes, they are.

Really? He's a ****ing hypocrite. Do you remember what he said on the wrongfully collected WiFi data via the Street Car? We're not going to delete it unless we're ordered to, LOLOL.

The whole Wifi information was really overblown.. you can gather that information by driving to any neighborhood. My computer and devices track every single Wifi network they sense.. so the whole thing is so stupid it's ridiculous.

BTW: The music I buy through the iTunes Store is DRM free.

Yep.. and you paid to get it freed up.. all the songs you have bought previously you had to pay to Apple even MORE money to get rid of the DRM.. absurd..

The only reason they took out DRM was because Amazon was kicking their ass with DRM free music.

Movies, TV shows, and apps (duh, they only work on iOS devices anyway) are not, but they're not DRM free anywhere (legal in the US and most of the world).

Yep.. and that's the point.. you can only use that content on Apple's devices.. and that's what's wrong with it.. you spend tons of money buying all this stuff and you are enslaved to only use their hardware or you will lose all that money and content.. This is only ok in imaginary Apple fan world where you want to use Apple products until you are dead.

Other companies do have DRM but they are much more open, so for example Amazon stuff works on tons and tons of 3rd party hardware. So you can buy different devices, Xboxs, PS3s and so forth and you content will work everywhere. You are not enslaved to buy Amazon's hardware for the rest of your life (if they sold hardware).

Another good example is PlayOn.. most of the content you get from Netflix, Amazon and other sources can be viewed on other devices through PlayOn.. Only Apple is completely closed up and requires you to buy their hardware.

This company is absolutely a poison on technology industry and I hope they get really whooped and put in place and forbidden of doing what they are doing because it's 100% evil.

So let me get this correct, because i have an iPad, MBP, and iPods I'm a fanatic or cult of Mac

Dispite the fact that i use my WINDOWS 7 desktop ( that literally i just spend over 600 bucks for a case alone, and another 2 grand on hardware ) that i use more then my MBP. AND i own and use a Linux box. And am a certified Windows Tech, I do very very little Apple repairs by choice

But because i own at least 1 apple product, I'm a Cult Of Mac, or a Mac head, or zealot of Mac ?

Its just a Computer / Company get over yourself.

I'm more of a PC fan and that. I like Apple Device's, if I had the money... I would buy a Mac or iPhone 4. But I would not go bragging about it, I would Totally install Windows on the Mac. And I'm sure I would jailbreak the iPhone. I hate apple's ways. The make everyone think they are so fascinating my releasing a feature that has been around for years, calling it a revolution and getting ton's on money from it. And money is another thing, they just charge too much for their product's when the specs are the same as something 3x cheaper. Because they know people will buy them. If someone good took over Apple, and made it a good company, then I'm sure it would be better.

But people are crazy over apple, no way would I go pay ?60 for a spot in the Apple Store line for the iPhone 4... I mean...Why? If I wanted an iPhone, I'd just order it a few days later/online and not go through all that hastl.

The whole Wifi information was really overblown.. you can gather that information by driving to any neighborhood. My computer and devices track every single Wifi network they sense.. so the whole thing is so stupid it's ridiculous.

I could kill you if I wanted to, it doesn't mean that I should do it. An unlocked car/house isn't public domain, nor is an unlocked WiFi network.

If want to judicially stretch you luck, this is, at minimum, theft of a service.

So let me get this correct, because i have an iPad, MBP, and iPods I'm a fanatic or cult of Mac

Dispite the fact that i use my WINDOWS 7 desktop ( that literally i just spend over 600 bucks for a case alone, and another 2 grand on hardware ) that i use more then my MBP. AND i own and use a Linux box. And am a certified Windows Tech, I do very very little Apple repairs by choice

But because i own at least 1 apple product, I'm a Cult Of Mac, or a Mac head, or zealot of Mac ?

Its just a Computer / Company get over yourself.

Uhm... I'm not sure if I follow were exactly did you got that from my post?

Microsoft's got a cult, too, although it's more insidious like Scientology. They've got control over all kinds of IT departments with loyal "partners" who also drink the Kool Ade, although quite a different flavour of Kool Ade. Trust me, I've been to plenty of Microsoft conferences.

Apple's followers may be out in the open, but Microsoft's are hidden and the source of quite a lot of frustration for IT people.

I could kill you if I wanted to, it doesn't mean that I should do it. An unlocked car/house isn't public domain, nor is an unlocked WiFi network.

If want to judicially stretch you luck, this is, at minimum, theft of a service.

Uhm... I'm not sure if I follow were exactly did you got that from my post?

You replied to " Mind you, not all Apple product users are religious followers of the Cult of Apple. Most of them are perfectly normal. "

With " Yes they are " and a link to a thread with a match made in apple heaven pic you created

You replied to " Mind you, not all Apple product users are religious followers of the Cult of Apple. Most of them are perfectly normal. "

With " Yes they are " and a link to a thread with a match made in apple heaven pic you created

Yes, I was replying to Mephistopheles, and linked to his sweet love thread with swuzzlebum.

I guess I have to put [neowinjoke] the next time I link to a known community joke, by [neowinjoke]neopwi[/neowinjoke].

Yep.. and you paid to get it freed up.. all the songs you have bought previously you had to pay to Apple even MORE money to get rid of the DRM.. absurd..

I bought maybe 50 songs before the store went DRM free, so I paid a whopping $15 bucks to upgrade to 256kbit, DRM-free music. I didn't have to, but why not?

Also, it was a much better deal than completely losing the things you bought. PlaysForSure anyone? :p

The only reason they took out DRM was because Amazon was kicking their ass with DRM free music.

Talk about revisionist. Amazon MP3 opened in September 2007, 5 months after Apple had already sealed EMI as a DRM-free partner and 7 months after your most hated man in the world wrote his Thoughts on Music letter. A few months later (around Jan 2008), however, Amazon did get agreements with more major labels before Apple (Apple wouldn't go completely DRM free until Jan 2009 mostly due to CEO bickering; Apple wanted to keep prices down, record labels wanted to hike them up), but saying Apple didn't go DRM-free because Amazon was "kicking its ass" is flat-out wrong.

Yep.. and that's the point.. you can only use that content on Apple's devices.. and that's what's wrong with it.. you spend tons of money buying all this stuff and you are enslaved to only use their hardware or you will lose all that money and content.. This is only ok in imaginary Apple fan world where you want to use Apple products until you are dead.

Other companies do have DRM but they are much more open, so for example Amazon stuff works on tons and tons of 3rd party hardware. So you can buy different devices, Xboxs, PS3s and so forth and you content will work everywhere. You are not enslaved to buy Amazon's hardware for the rest of your life (if they sold hardware).

You're right there, but it's also more restrictive for my purposes. For instance, I only have one device that can play Amazon VOD: my computer. I can't even get Amazon VOD content on my Xbox because it requires having Windows Media Player on your desktop to stream it. Meanwhile, I have three devices that can play an iTunes rental or download (I do mostly rentals and just download the free TV show pilots :p): my computer, my iPhone, and my iPad. What's the point in having a more "open" solution if I have less devices that support it and have no plans to buy a device that does support it?

Another good example is PlayOn.. most of the content you get from Netflix, Amazon and other sources can be viewed on other devices through PlayOn.. Only Apple is completely closed up and requires you to buy their hardware.

PlayOn isn't sanctioned by any of those content providers at all (and frankly, if Hulu and others could block it without blocking all computers, I'm sure they would). It basically just plays the content from those sites on your comptuer and transcodes it so your UPnP device can watch it.

Yes, I was replying to Mephistopheles, and linked to his sweet love thread with swuzzlebum.

I guess I have to put [neowinjoke] the next time I link to a known community joke, by [neowinjoke]neopwi[/neowinjoke].

With the level of hate towards MS/APL and xbox/ps3 on neowin, if it was a joke, my apologies, usually they aren't

And it wasn't known to me, was first time iv seen it that I remember

You do realize that Apple isn't the only one that makes up the prices in the iTunes Store? It also has to do with all the record labels behind the songs.

Mind you, not all Apple product users are religious followers of the Cult of Apple. Most of them are perfectly normal.

It's the vocal minority which makes Apple users look like crazed zealots.

I second that - it is interesting the number of Apple 'devotee's' who have never owned a Mac in their life but jumped on the bandwagon through the i-device hype. Reminds me of this lady waiting in line - she didn't know what the device did, whether she needed it, all she knew was it was from Apple. Yes, these are the kinds of idiots that exist out there and it isn't purely a Apple thing either.

Mind you, there are Windows zealots out there - but apparently they're just labelled 'tech enthusiasts' rather than stark raving nutcases for waiting outside Harvey Norman since 5pm the night before Windows 7 is released. Yes, there are those who do that - too bad they're called 'tech enthusiasts' when they should be called something a little more 'on the nose'.