Trillian 5 for Windows Public Beta!

Well, it's been in the works for a while now. It may show up by the time it's final. However, considering the really ****ty way they handle video over Yahoo and their own native protocol I don't have any hope for it being usable if it does. Still, I wouldn't say Trillian is for geeks or advanced users. The way I see it, instant messaging and video chat are really two different things, and for video it's better to use an app that is centered around a video chat, so having it available in an IM client is a nice bonus but not critical. Hell, the only reason I even have a webcam is to talk to my mother since she's halfway across the country from me, and she's the only person I ever video chat with. The lack of video chat in the Live Messenger protocol may be a detractor, but the Facebook integration blows Microsoft's wave 4 client away.

Of course you're going to get full WLM compatibility if you use WLM. You will not, however, get 100% WLM functionality if you use Digsby, Miranda, Pidgin or other similar apps, and those are the apps Trillian is competing with.

Yeah thats always been my opinion. I never use vid chat in any IM client. Skype is just much better suited for such a thing. I don't think you will ever see great video chat in a 3rd party client, its a huge PIA to implement.

noticed a glitch, when you go to one tab and the tab bar disappears the window doesn't resize and a black bar appears

post-335698-12808749017245.png

So I've never really used an IM besides Steam and Skype to an extent. The release of Trillian 5 sorta convinced me to try it out. Apparently it's compatable with old skins, because I installed Avion Pro and it's looking beautiful. Overall, it's very functional and low-imprint. I can finally talk to some of my friends on their messenger of choice now :D

Amazing how many of you went from WLM to this build.

Has anyone who used Digsby tried/moved to this? I would like some feedback if possible.

Trillian 5 runs circles around Digsby. My #1 issue with Disgby doesnt occur with Trillian (that is loading your buddy list when the window is opened, it's all instant in trillian).

+1

well as far as I can see Yahoo is the only protocol with cam chat, but I maybe wrong. On Yahoo just right click and you will see it in the menu to view video chat or invite

Hope that helps. If there is video chat on others protocols I would imagine that it will be the same way, right click on message window

:)

Amazing how many of you went from WLM to this build.

Has anyone who used Digsby tried/moved to this? I would like some feedback if possible.

I have been using Digsby since its first release and I have to say this trillian release is amazing. SO fast compared to Digsby and looks fantastic right out of the box.

My only issue is, Twitter and Facebook not working with Trillian. I am behind a firewall at work, but somehow I could see Twitter and Facebook updates through Digsby. I assume it was somehow going through the Digsby server and that is why, but it will not work with Trillian. Not a HUGE issue, just a small quirk.

Loads and runs much faster than Digsby. Contact list layout is nice. The autoresize is also nice but it's a pro feature so I'll be losing it in a few weeks. Not keen on the chat window styles but otherwise it's all pretty good. One thing I do miss is the ability to delete or mark emails as read from the mail notification popup. I don't use any social networks so can't comment on that end of it.

@sullysnet - there is webcam protocol for msn as well

@smeltn - it's gotta be the firewall because facebook integration works fine on my end (i don't have twitter though)

@smeltn - it's gotta be the firewall because facebook integration works fine on my end (i don't have twitter though)

It is a firewall issue. I knew it was, it was just nice how digsby got around it, while Trillian is actually connecting you to twitter/facebook.

facebook shows up in social for me

Re-opened Trillian and now it's there. :) Pretty sweet, although I wish they could move over all the renames and grouping I have done with Digsby. That's going to take a bit of time to setup, but overall it's a very kickass beta.

running it now, so far, it's pretty nice, low memory consumption... which is a first for Trillian and all the accounts I have logged in... Looking good! Love it.

How do you get it working then? I see no where to start the webcam even in chat. :blink:

How do you get it working then? I see no where to start the webcam even in chat. :blink:

never mind there isn't yet

Well that will stop me from using Trillian :( Shame, cus it's alot better nowadays.

Just bought Trillian 5. Best $15 I spent all week ^__^ Really impressive for a first public build. If Trillian 4 (Astra) is any indication, they will be releasing several builds per month, fixing bugs left and right.

It's worth your money people. The enhanced history panel alone is worth the price.