[Beta Channel] Google Chrome 7.0.xxx.xx (for Linux, Mac OS X, Windows)

To those frustrated over the rather boring dev releases in the 7.x series so far: Probably working on getting hardware acceleration ready for testing. It was IE9's big feature, Firefox 4 betas have it, and now Chrome really needs to catch up to remain supreme.

Chrome started off as a strong browser and has improved many times as fast as its competition. It will be a while before they hit any sort of wall, what with the kind of minds they have at Google.

Just take a look at their open bugs and you'll see a wealth of things they need to improve or fix.

Personally i want to see them expand on the bookmark system. It is overly simple right now compared to the system in Firefox which I love

There are also many ways they could strengthen the extension system. For example, one feature I love in Firefox that is not possible in Chrome yet (via extension or otherwise) is scrolling the mouse wheel over tabs to scroll through them. There are lots of little things like this that need implementing to reach parity with Firefox.

Well it seems to have fixed some of the crashes in the last build. But the new tab page doesn't remember that I collapsed most visited which is annoying.

yeah, this build reset the new tab page, i had to re-pin my websites after i updated

also, seems the youtube buttons are working again

Dev Channel Update

The Dev channel has been updated to 7.0.517.24 for Windows, Mac, Linux and Chrome Frame.

This release focused on resolving minor bug fixes or crashes. More details about additional changes are available in the svn log of all revisions.

You can find out about getting on the Dev channel here: http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel.

If you find new issues, please let us know by filing a bug at http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/entry.

Anthony Laforge

Google Chrome

Source: Google Chrome Releases blog

Direct download link for the Windows version

Nothing exciting again :(

Wish the dev channel was just the canary channel....

tbh, I'm glad they're dealing with the bugs because version 7 is the first time I've felt that I'm actually using a very beta version. I don't know if that's because I have the hardware acceleration flags set or not...

In any case hardware acceleration is the big feature for version 7 I think that's enough. I don't expect much new until version 8.

why don't you just use that than ?

Can't make it main browser and as silly as it sounds I don't like the branding of it :p

I'm still waiting for them to fix/un-do whatever they changed to proxy auth.

I cant use chrome at work anymore i get my ISA proxy error when accessing HTTP and when accessing HTTP i get: Error 115 (net::ERR_PROXY_AUTH_UNSUPPORTED): Unknown error.

Beta Channel Update

The Beta channel has been updated to 7.0.517.24 for Windows, Mac, Linux and Chrome Frame.

If you find new issues, please let us know by filing a bug at http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/entry

Anthony Laforge

Google Chrome

Source: Google Chrome Releases blog

Direct download link for the Windows version

I guess this means two things: a) Dev channel development will pick up pace again and b) the jump to version 8.0 on the dev channel is imminent.

what's with all these minor updates?

they need to be working on making the hardware acceleration better so they can have it turned on by default without the flags

what's with all these minor updates?

Seems things are going to pick up:

laforge@chromium said...

A lot of the work that's being done in 7.0 is largely not user facing and in some cases is a legitimate work in progress. With our new release cycle and about:labs, I'd suggest you stay tuned, things are going to start moving quite fast.

Check for updates on the dev channel - I just got the update to 7.0.536.2 on OS X.

No visible changes, no entry in the Chrome Releases Blog yet.

Check for updates on the dev channel - I just got the update to 7.0.536.2 on OS X.

No visible changes, no entry in the Chrome Releases Blog yet.

Yeah, same on Windows.

Downloading new version yes.gif

EDIT: about:labs has been updated

Tabbed Settings Uses an in-tab UI for the Settings (Options/Preferences) dialog instead of a stand-alone window. Enable

Instant Makes the address bar load urls as you type. Enable

Remoting Enable Remoting Host support. Enable

small update that fixes bugs... I'm fine with that. Every release can't have something revolutionary or big. Chrome has continued its trend though of being the better browser for me, even the Dev builds have remain better than Firefox and IE9.

UPDATE: I need to really read the topic start date. Old update. New thread coming with new DEV build update. :)

Dev Channel Update

| 09:45

The Dev channel has been updated to 7.0.536.2 for Windows, Mac, Linux and Chrome Frame

All

Fixed saving passwords containing non-ASCII characters (Issue 54065).

• Accelerated compositing and support for 3D CSS transforms enabled by default (Issue 54469)
  • WebGL support enabled by default (Issue 54469)
  • Regression fix: keep the download shelf visible when multiple sites are saved. (Issue 54149)
  • Add a lab for the Page Info Bubble for Windows and Linux; Mac coming shortly.

Windows

• Fixed a problem with context menus where the presence of extension-added items prevented keyboard accelerators from working. (Issue: 54497)

Mac

• More keyboard shortcuts for Tab Overview.(Issue 52834)
  • Add sqlite and javascript memory columns to task manager

Linux

• Add javascript memory column to task manager
  • Make compile-time dependency on gnome-keyring optional
  • Resolved problems accessing FTP sites (Issue 54395)

Known Issues

• Problems downloading some attachments in hotmail: Issue 57334

More details about additional changes are available in the log of all revisions.

You can find out about getting on the Dev channel here: http://dev.chromium....ved/dev-channel.

If you find new issues, please let us know by filing a bug at http://code.google.c...um/issues/entry

Karen Grunberg

Google Chrome

Seems like a big update this time around, about:labs has been updated with some new 'experiments';

Tabbed Settings Uses an in-tab UI for the Settings (Options/Preferences) dialog instead of a stand-alone window. Disable

Instant Makes the address bar load urls as you type. Disable

Remoting Enable Remoting Host support. Enable

The Dev channel has been updated to 7.0.536.2 for Windows, Mac, Linux and Chrome Frame.

All

Fixed saving passwords containing non-ASCII characters (Issue 54065).

Accelerated compositing and support for 3D CSS transforms enabled by default (Issue 54469)

WebGL support enabled by default (Issue 54469)

Regression fix: keep the download shelf visible when multiple sites are saved. (Issue 54149)

Add a lab for the Page Info Bubble for Windows and Linux; Mac coming shortly.

Windows

Fixed a problem with context menus where the presence of extension-added items prevented keyboard accelerators from working. (Issue: 54497)

Mac

More keyboard shortcuts for Tab Overview.(Issue 52834)

Add sqlite and javascript memory columns to task manager

Linux

Add javascript memory column to task manager

Make compile-time dependency on gnome-keyring optional

Resolved problems accessing FTP sites (Issue 54395)

Known Issues

Problems downloading some attachments in hotmail: Issue 57334

More details about additional changes are available in the log of all revisions.

You can find out about getting on the Dev channel here: http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

If you find new issues, please let us know by filing a bug at http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/entry

My thoughts:

The new lab features are nice... I'm LOVING new Instant option... just loads the site as I type the URL. Speedy speedy. Feels much more stable again too compared to a few versions back. Good update! :)

Seems hardware acceleration is on by default now (Y)

Settings in a tab is pretty cool, and so is the instant feature.

er delete my topic mods, or merge em... but yeah, the new update is wonderful. Instant is truly amazing. It's nice of Google to enable hardware acceleration by default... Chrome has done it again. #1 (Y)