[Beta Channel] Google Chrome 7.0.xxx.xx (for Linux, Mac OS X, Windows)

So who's going to run some benchmarks on the hardware acceleration so everyone on Neowin can go potty over browsers as usual? laugh.gif

So who's going to run some benchmarks on the hardware acceleration so everyone on Neowin can go potty over browsers as usual? laugh.gif

I just did for HA and IE still wins by far on my system. I'm using Chrome, though, since it does everything faster.

The new dev version scores 241 points (+12 bonus points) in the HTML5 test, while IE9 scores 96+5.

As before, IE9 does 95/100 in the Acid 3 tests, but interestingly enough Chrome only manages 97/100, down from a perfect 100 in the last dev version. Someone else experienced this?

IE9 is still far ahead regarding hardware acceleration however, Chrome still stutters at a few measly frames per second in IE 9's HTML5 Fish tank test and the Psychedelic browsing experience is not much better at 13 revs/m.

The new dev version scores 241 points (+12 bonus points) in the HTML5 test, while IE9 scores 96+5.

As before, IE9 does 95/100 in the Acid 3 tests, but interestingly enough Chrome only manages 97/100, down from a perfect 100 in the last dev version. Someone else experienced this?

IE9 is still far ahead regarding hardware acceleration however, Chrome still stutters at a few measly frames per second in IE 9's HTML5 Fish tank test and the Psychedelic browsing experience is not much better at 13 revs/m.

I get 100/100 in Acid. Must be an extension you have?

I get 100/100 in Acid. Must be an extension you have?

Yeah that's possible, have a couple of them installed that could be interfering with the test.

I'm a bit surprised that Chrome is so behind Firefox and IE9 when it comes to hardware acceleration, probably something the dev team will have fixed in a few weeks though ;)

Yeah that's possible, have a couple of them installed that could be interfering with the test.

I'm a bit surprised that Chrome is so behind Firefox and IE9 when it comes to hardware acceleration, probably something the dev team will have fixed in a few weeks though ;)

Do any websites even use hardware acceleration heavily yet?

To my knowledge only "demo" sites.

Woah, so all the browser wars are basically all about benchmark sites just now and not even "real world results" laugh.gif That's hilarious.

Yeah, hardware acceleration isn't working and at least the Psychedelic Browsing test just loads a blank page and navigating elsewhere produces an Oh Snap! error.

You need to let the browser wait for a minute or two, and then the test screen appears. However as I posted above, it only produces scores of around 23-30 revs/m.

Accelerated compositing and accelerated 2D canvas are two different things. It doesn't seem like accelerated 2D canvas is enabled by default yet.

Accelerated compositing and accelerated 2D canvas are two different things. It doesn't seem like accelerated 2D canvas is enabled by default yet.

ah I it enabled via switches. If you guys want the acceleration working try this:

--enable-gpu-plugin --enable-gpu-rendering --enable-accelerated-2d-canvas --enable-video-layering --enable-webgl --enable-fastback

ah I it enabled via switches. If you guys want the acceleration working try this:

--enable-gpu-plugin --enable-gpu-rendering --enable-accelerated-2d-canvas --enable-video-layering --enable-webgl --enable-fastback

you can drop webgl flag

it is now enabled by default in this build