Apple Media Event, October 20th

Where's the Facebook integration for .Neo for instance? :shifty:

Nooooooooooo.... Go away!!! :boo:

Try waiting before jumping to conclusions!

The information is right there on the Apple site. iWeb hasn't been updated and iDVD neither feature-wise. Again, read before you post.

we'll have to start jailbreaking OSX now...

1) Right in the keynote Jobs said that the App Store will not be the only way to install apps. They aren't locking down app installs from other sources.

2) They can't really lock that down on OSX. OSX is the development platform for the other devices. If you can't compile and execute your own code on OSX then how will you be able to develop? If you can compile and execute your own code then there isn't really a need to jailbreak.

3) The OSX developer community is much smaller than the iOS community. If Apple forces Mac developers to go through the app store and only through the app store the potential loss of developers is too great. Think also about apps with specialized distribution, like AutoCAD(which they mentioned in the keynote). AutoCAD has all sorts of licensing systems for students, for schools, and for large companies. This is the sort of thing that can't all be funneled through a consumer app store, and I really doubt that Apple wants to kick AutoCAD off of the Mac.

The new Macbook Airs look great, and bet they are fantastic to use.

Hopefully they will drop the white MacBook, and just focus on Pros and Airs.

App Store should be good too. Just one click to install a program, awesome for most users.

I see it as Mac OS X's answer to a Linux distro package manager.

Same, I just hope it doesn't cannibalize the retail Mac software section, as direct distro would be quicker and easier

Why would you take the Adamo exactly? At almost 4lbs you're talking about the weight of a normal 13" laptop with less battery. My two year old Macbook beats it in screen resolution, processing speed, and graphics while only weighing a half pound more.

Do you really not think that the 1.8Ghz processor, 1400x900 screen, slightly bigger battery, full pound less weight, and GPU aren't worth $300?

Making the call that you want to spend less is fine, that's why there are multiple products at multiple price points, but I don't see how it's not even remotely a good deal in comparison.

One thing that is really disappointing on the new Airs though is the lack of a backlit keyboard. That's truly a step down from the previous model and from the Macbook Pros, and seems like something that they'll add back in in a future update. :no:

Um, what?

The Macbrook Pro weighs 4.5 lbs, and it is easily the thinnest and lightest laptops in the 13" category (that isn't considered a thin-and-light); so, no, the "normal" 13" laptop is nowhere near 4 lbs. Furthermore, don't change the issue. I was talking about the $999 version. If you want to compare it to a version that costs 30% more, you go right ahead, but us reasonable consumers aren't going to have a price point for a major purchase and then randomly increase it by 30%. Do you think a person buying a $15,000 car is going to be willing to move up to a $20,000 car on a whim?

Very true actually, but those apps are open source and only included as a helping hand to new comers that want apps from the get go.

Not 1:1 for Apple's plans I imagine :p

I've used Macs for 8 odd years now... and I can't for the life of me figure out what the purpose of the app store is. If it was similar to linux repositories, I could understand it, but why do I need another layer to run applications on top of an operating system that runs applications?

I've used Macs for 8 odd years now... and I can't for the life of me figure out what the purpose of the app store is. If it was similar to linux repositories, I could understand it, but why do I need another layer to run applications on top of an operating system that runs applications?

How is the App Store another layer? It's just a glorified download and update manager. It doesn't actually run the applications...

How is the App Store another layer? It's just a glorified download and update manager. It doesn't actually run the applications...

Maybe I was confused, I read the notes, didn't get to watch the keynote. I thought Mission Control and full screen apps (and app folders?) was something separate from the current system, but if it all fits in together, I guess that's ok.

I guess I don't understand what the point of bringing "apps" to a fully functional OS is, exactly, outside of a place to market new applications from developers. And if that's all it is, then why would I care about that? FWIW, I feel the same about Google's webapps through Chrome.

I guess I don't understand what the point of bringing "apps" to a fully functional OS is, exactly, outside of a place to market new applications from developers. And if that's all it is, then why would I care about that? FWIW, I feel the same about Google's webapps through Chrome.

The App Store will be offering Mac OS applications only.

Fine if you don't want to see new apps, but what about 1 click installs, instant purchase, easy updates (such as "upgrade all").

We aren't just talking about simple apps though like on the iPhone/iPad. This allows for full-fledged applications. And it also manages the updates for all of the apps you have installed through it (again, similar to a Linux package manager).

Anyone able to make a wallpaper out of this image as is, no changes other than size?

I'd give it a try, but I suspect that it would be rather difficult with the subtle gradient.

1) Right in the keynote Jobs said that the App Store will not be the only way to install apps. They aren't locking down app installs from other sources.

2) They can't really lock that down on OSX. OSX is the development platform for the other devices. If you can't compile and execute your own code on OSX then how will you be able to develop? If you can compile and execute your own code then there isn't really a need to jailbreak.

3) The OSX developer community is much smaller than the iOS community. If Apple forces Mac developers to go through the app store and only through the app store the potential loss of developers is too great. Think also about apps with specialized distribution, like AutoCAD(which they mentioned in the keynote). AutoCAD has all sorts of licensing systems for students, for schools, and for large companies. This is the sort of thing that can't all be funneled through a consumer app store, and I really doubt that Apple wants to kick AutoCAD off of the Mac.

it was a joke dude...

Is it just me? or is apple thinking about doing Disc less application? i mean imagine how much shipping costs, paper and boxes it would save, its like having your own STEAM account but for the rest of the applications. Its such a noble idea that

I'd give it a try, but I suspect that it would be rather difficult with the subtle gradient.

Yes that was what I was thinking....the gradient light would be difficult on the gray background to spread to a larger canvas.

The App Store will be offering Mac OS applications only.

Fine if you don't want to see new apps, but what about 1 click installs, instant purchase, easy updates (such as "upgrade all").

OS X already has 1 click installs, 90% of the programs out there are as hard as dragging and dropping. You can already buy almost any software online, and download it... this is a great way for small developers to make money I guess (sell Cyberduck for $2.99, or something). And again, most OS X software already pops up a "update now" box when you run it. I have no reason to do that all at once.

It seems like a great way for Apple to make money, but I don't see how it improves OS X at all. Especially when programs will still be installing on the side as well. It's not like Steam is going to use this, they won't feed updates through it, making it almost exactly unlike how the iOS works.

I do wonder if they'll get rid of the Dashboard now, or integrate widgets into this, or something. Trying to differentiate between applications, apps, and widgets seems like a disaster in the making.

Um, what?

The Macbrook Pro weighs 4.5 lbs, and it is easily the thinnest and lightest laptops in the 13" category (that isn't considered a thin-and-light); so, no, the "normal" 13" laptop is nowhere near 4 lbs. Furthermore, don't change the issue. I was talking about the $999 version. If you want to compare it to a version that costs 30% more, you go right ahead, but us reasonable consumers aren't going to have a price point for a major purchase and then randomly increase it by 30%. Do you think a person buying a $15,000 car is going to be willing to move up to a $20,000 car on a whim?

Wasn't trying to pull anything. I agree that the 11.6" isn't that great of a deal. It saves a lot of weight on the Adamo though, so if you want Adamo performance (actually moreso because of the GPU) in a smaller lighter package then you don't get a good deal for the specs.

I was arguing that, in comparison to the Adamo, the 13" is a pretty good deal. There's a big difference between $300 and $5,000, but you're right, it is a move up in price. People make that kind of decision all the time, asking for advice about whether to get a 13" MBP or a 15" one, or whether to get an HP or a Macbook. More money for more value isn't something that's automatically a no-go, and with the Sony Vaio Z at the other end of the pricing spectrum it isn't an unfair thing to consider at all.

My main point was that, dollar for value, the 13" Macbook Air compares favorably with the Adamo. It's not like there are lots of ultraportable PCs lined up at $999 that beat out the Macbook Air 13" on specs.

I use Steam too, yet I do not want the App Store for OS X either, not sure how the two correlate whatsoever. By Apple implementing this into the OS, the next step will be "have to have App Store installed in order for iLife to run," then "have to have app store for iPhoto and iTunes to run," so on and so forth until it is "have to have App Store installed in order to use OS X at all."

So I do believe this announcement was the first step in them totally locking down the OS eventually. Call me crazy.

Also at work we were discussing the specs just now and looking them up, and doesthe 320M GPU that it comes with really not have any on-board memory and shares memory with the OS? If so, that is really weak, considering 2GB of RAM is the most one can have.

They do correlate. Apple is just doing this as other means to purchase the software. You can still buy the software from a store or online and run it, but this way you can run it on all your computers and have everything in one place for you to keep track of. People have been wanting this for Windows, but when Apple does it, people don't like it.

They can't lock down the OS, due to the fact that they said they wouldn't and that developers would leave immediately if they did. It would be much harder for them to code apps for iOS and OSX if they did. It would be like shooting themselves in the foot.

I think Apple are also doing the 70% 30% split, so maybe not much incentive for the big developers.

However for the smaller developer it should be useful for exposure, and payments/server costs.

My new iMac qualifies for the iLife '11 Up-To-Date program! iLife '11 for only ?7, that's pretty sweet I'd say! :jump:

I just qualify for this, went ahead and ordered a copy.

My new iMac qualifies for the iLife '11 Up-To-Date program! iLife '11 for only ?7, that's pretty sweet I'd say! :jump:

Where do you check that? I just bought a new 27" iMac last week and it would be sweet if I qualify.