Apple Media Event, October 20th

Because it has never, in its entire existence, been in the top 10 of monthly notebook sales, yes. Tell me: do you honestly believe its sales have been good, or are you simply arguing for the sake of arguing, as I stated before? I'm sorry I'm not going to go digging for official sales.

I wasn't trying to argue about it, I was just stating that I had no idea how well it had sold. YOU were the one who brought the sales figures into question in the first place.

I believe you are looking at extremely old Adamo models, too. I haven't seen a new Adamo with a slower processor than 1.4GHz, which is the same as the Air, and I believe costs the same with more storage and more RAM.

You are correct, I was looking at older models. I just went to the Dell site and looked at their current models, and they are somewhat cheaper than the comparable Air, but not a huge difference in price.

Because it has never, in its entire existence, been in the top 10 of monthly notebook sales, yes. Tell me: do you honestly believe its sales have been good, or are you simply arguing for the sake of arguing, as I stated before? I'm sorry I'm not going to go digging for official sales.

I believe you are looking at extremely old Adamo models, too. I haven't seen a new Adamo with a slower processor than 1.4GHz, which is the same as the Air, and I believe costs the same with more storage and more RAM.

Given the exchange rates, seems you all are paying a fair amount more. Ouch.

"The Adamo 13 was released on March 17, 2009, in the US with a 1.4 GHz (or 2.1 GHz) Core 2 Duo processor, 2 GB (or 4 GB) of 800 MHz DDR3 memory, a 128 GB SSD(or 256 GB SSD), and a 13.4-inch widescreen with a 1366x768 resolution with a built-in 1.3 MP webcam and microphone. It weighs 4 pounds, ships with Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, with an optional external DVD-RW drive.

Pricing at $999 for the 2 GB Ram and $1799 for the 4 GB Ram"

As I said in my previous point two pages back, the Adamo has nearly the same specs for nearly the same price.

Because a majority of sales are from big box stores, setting a net book at that price, next to ones in the $200-$300, yea it's not going to sell.

Heck this thing even setting next to it's cousin the Macbook might notndo so well as they start around same price with i think the MB having better stats. It's main selling point is it's size, which not everybody needs

It's not a netbook. It's a notebook with an Atom processor, and that's how it was always marketed.

Guys a quick question. I was thinking about buying the MBP13", but with the Macbook Air, I'm not sure.

I want it for mostly Coding (Dreamweaver) and some Photoshop. I have a 24" display for my PC, where I do most of the design process in Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, but it would be nice to be able to take it around with me and especially be able to write code on it. It would be my primary coding unit.

I would choose the MBA 13" and then add 2 extra gigs of RAM so a total of 4GB.

Would this suite my needs?

It's not a netbook. It's a notebook with an Atom processor, and that's how it was always marketed.

That's like saying a Dingy marketed as a luxury liner doesn't make it a Dingy

Which, given its size and lack of an optical drive, makes it a netbook in most people's view, no matter how it is marketed. I haven't seen any "notebooks" on the market with Atom processors that aren't more correctly called "netbooks". And I have seen very few netbooks that don't have an Atom processor.

"The Adamo 13 was released on March 17, 2009, in the US with a 1.4 GHz (or 2.1 GHz) Core 2 Duo processor, 2 GB (or 4 GB) of 800 MHz DDR3 memory, a 128 GB SSD(or 256 GB SSD), and a 13.4-inch widescreen with a 1366x768 resolution with a built-in 1.3 MP webcam and microphone. It weighs 4 pounds, ships with Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, with an optional external DVD-RW drive.

Pricing at $999 for the 2 GB Ram and $1799 for the 4 GB Ram"

As I said in my previous point two pages back, the Adamo has nearly the same specs for nearly the same price.

And, again, has not been updated in over a year and a half.

Also: 128GB for $999 > 64GB for $999. So, even a year and a half late, Apple is behind.

How can I or anyone here possibly tell you when it's not even possible to have a copy yet. I sincerely doubt they are shipping the exact same versions as the current iLife '09.

Yet the Online Store suggests just that feature-wise...

screenshot20101020at211t.png

Obviously if iWeb and iDVD had any new features Apple's website would reflect that...

How can I or anyone here possibly tell you when it's not even possible to have a copy yet. I sincerely doubt they are shipping the exact same versions as the current iLife '09.

it looks that way mate, all 'what's new' is on the site now but nothing for iweb or idvd

Which, given its size and lack of an optical drive makes, it a netbook in most people's view, no matter how it is marketed. I haven't seen any "notebooks" on the market with Atom processors that aren't more correctly called "netbooks". And I have seen very few netbooks that don't have an Atom processor.

So, given the Air's size and lack of an optical drive, it is a netbook? Don't buy that logic, sorry. Furthermore, the Atom processor in the notebook we're referring to is a desktop variant at a far higher clock speed, which is easily just as good as the Air's Core 2 Duo processor.

Yet you use Steam? Ironic. :rolleyes:

I use Steam too, yet I do not want the App Store for OS X either, not sure how the two correlate whatsoever. By Apple implementing this into the OS, the next step will be "have to have App Store installed in order for iLife to run," then "have to have app store for iPhoto and iTunes to run," so on and so forth until it is "have to have App Store installed in order to use OS X at all."

So I do believe this announcement was the first step in them totally locking down the OS eventually. Call me crazy.

Also at work we were discussing the specs just now and looking them up, and doesthe 320M GPU that it comes with really not have any on-board memory and shares memory with the OS? If so, that is really weak, considering 2GB of RAM is the most one can have.

snip

Obviously if iWeb and iDVD had any new features Apple's website would reflect that...

And yet, in 2009 when iLife 09 was announced and shown off, it was the same procedure and new features were included for iDVD and iWeb then also!

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/01/26ilife.html

:rolleyes: Just hold your horses and wait for the software before you start complaining. Besides, they aren't the most important tools of the suite anyway.

Guys a quick question. I was thinking about buying the MBP13", but with the Macbook Air, I'm not sure.

I want it for mostly Coding (Dreamweaver) and some Photoshop. I have a 24" display for my PC, where I do most of the design process in Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, but it would be nice to be able to take it around with me and especially be able to write code on it. It would be my primary coding unit.

I would choose the MBA 13" and then add 2 extra gigs of RAM so a total of 4GB.

Would this suite my needs?

I would say the MB, the upgradeability alone as far as memory regarding photoshop. The screen size isn't far from my iPad, which I love, but the text size on things makes it a pain and have to go portrait mode or zoom on the paragraph. And I don't wear glasses, and have really good vision.

If anything go to a store 13in laptop/netbook and. Just start typing, if the screen size annoys you, go bigger.

Right next to that is this:

What's in the BoxDVD containing iPhoto '11, iMovie '11, GarageBand '11, iWeb (v3.0.2), iDVD (v7.1)

What are the current version numbers for iWeb and iDVD?

A quick comparison between the Dell Adamo 13.4" and the new Macbook Air line:

Here's the Dell Adamo 13"

$999:

1.4Ghz Core 2 Duo (Same as $999 Macbook Air 11", slower than $1299 13"s 1.86Ghz)

2GB Ram Standard (Same)

Integrated Intel Graphics (Both MBAs include NVidia 320M)

128GB SSD standard (same as $1299 13" MBA)

1366x768 13" screen (same res as 11" MBA, lower res than 13" MBA)

"More than 5 hours of battery" (13" MBA claims 7+ hours)

So it's pretty similar. The 13" Adamo is cheaper than the 13" Air, but the Air includes a bit more battery life, a faster processor, a much higher resolution screen, and a much faster graphics processor.

The Adamo also weighs 3.97lbs, whereas the Air only weighs 2.9lbs.

I would say the MB, the upgradeability alone as far as memory regarding photoshop. The screen size isn't far from my iPad, which I love, but the text size on things makes it a pain and have to go portrait mode or zoom on the paragraph. And I don't wear glasses, and have really good vision.

If anything go to a store 13in laptop/netbook and. Just start typing, if the screen size annoys you, go bigger.

I've tested out my boyfriends MacBook and the 13" screen seems reasonable to me. However the MB's screenres is not (to me) optimal enough for the applications I'm using which is also the reason I was thinking about the MB Air.

The only thing I'm really worried about is the processor. I'm not sure how much the Adobe applications need as it is not specifically stated by their requirements page. But I was hoping having 4GB's of Ram would be enough so I wouldn't have to worry about the processor.

So, given the Air's size and lack of an optical drive, it is a netbook?

I, and I suspect many other people, consider it borderline between the two, especially now with the release of the 11.6" version. I guess it falls in the old "subnotebook" category that no one seems to talk about much anymore.

Don't buy that logic, sorry. Furthermore, the Atom processor in the notebook we're referring to is a desktop variant at a far higher clock speed, which is easily just as good as the Air's Core 2 Duo processor.

It has a single core 32-bit 2.0 Ghz processor (a Z550). Sorry, but that is in no way "as good as" a Core 2 Duo, even at a lower clock speed.

A quick comparison between the Dell Adamo 13.4" and the new Macbook Air line:

Here's the Dell Adamo 13"

$999:

1.4Ghz Core 2 Duo (Same as $999 Macbook Air 11", slower than $1299 13"s 1.86Ghz)

2GB Ram Standard (Same)

Integrated Intel Graphics (Both MBAs include NVidia 320M)

128GB SSD standard (same as $1299 13" MBA)

1366x768 13" screen (same res as 11" MBA, lower res than 13" MBA)

"More than 5 hours of battery" (13" MBA claims 7+ hours)

So it's pretty similar. The 13" Adamo is cheaper than the 13" Air, but the Air includes a bit more battery life, a faster processor, a much higher resolution screen, and a much faster graphics processor.

The Adamo also weighs 3.97lbs, whereas the Air only weighs 2.9lbs.

And, again, is over a year and a half old and not updated. I'll take the $999 Adamo any day over the $999 Air, as it currently stands.

I think you all are misunderstanding me. I think the Air is an absolutely marvelous product. But for what you're getting at the price you're paying, it's not a good deal -- not even remotely. That has always been the biggest knock against the Air, and that has always been why it hasn't sold well. Apple finally had a chance to change that, and they really didn't do anything about it.

Right next to that is this:

What are the current version numbers for iWeb and iDVD?

iWeb: 3.0.2, iDVD: 7.0.4... iDVD is probably just a compatibility update for iMovie '11.

:rolleyes: Just hold your horses and wait for the software before you start complaining.

Extremely well thought post. Try reading before posting.

Not sure what to think of today's Stevenote.

iLife '11 is nifty. Might upgrade to it. Some of the new features in iPhoto for instance look really cool.

OS X 10.7 Lion... they have to have much more to show. What they demoed today can't possibly be all. Where's the Facebook integration for .Neo for instance? :shifty:

We'll hopefully learn more about it between now and the release.

AppStore for OS X, iOS elements like the launchpad... I guess it was inevitable.

FaceTime for OS X - was to be expected. Looks like an iOS app transplanted onto OS X.

Macbook Air - folks, we saw where Apple laptops are headed in the future. They'll be doing away with optical drive and hard drive, switching to flash storage only, and make the AppStore the prime software installation method in future MBPs.

I use Steam too, yet I do not want the App Store for OS X either, not sure how the two correlate whatsoever. By Apple implementing this into the OS, the next step will be "have to have App Store installed in order for iLife to run," then "have to have app store for iPhoto and iTunes to run," so on and so forth until it is "have to have App Store installed in order to use OS X at all."

So I do believe this announcement was the first step in them totally locking down the OS eventually. Call me crazy.

Also at work we were discussing the specs just now and looking them up, and doesthe 320M GPU that it comes with really not have any on-board memory and shares memory with the OS? If so, that is really weak, considering 2GB of RAM is the most one can have.

we'll have to start jailbreaking OSX now...

And, again, is over a year and a half old and not updated. I'll take the $999 Adamo any day over the $999 Air, as it currently stands.

I think you all are misunderstanding me. I think the Air is an absolutely marvelous product. But for what you're getting at the price you're paying, it's not a good deal -- not even remotely. That has always been the biggest knock against the Air, and that has always been why it hasn't sold well. Apple finally had a chance to change that, and they really didn't do anything about it.

Why would you take the Adamo exactly? At almost 4lbs you're talking about the weight of a normal 13" laptop with less battery. My two year old Macbook beats it in screen resolution, processing speed, and graphics while only weighing a half pound more.

Do you really not think that the 1.8Ghz processor, 1400x900 screen, slightly bigger battery, full pound less weight, and GPU aren't worth $300?

Making the call that you want to spend less is fine, that's why there are multiple products at multiple price points, but I don't see how it's not even remotely a good deal in comparison.

One thing that is really disappointing on the new Airs though is the lack of a backlit keyboard. That's truly a step down from the previous model and from the Macbook Pros, and seems like something that they'll add back in in a future update. :no: