Mac OS X Lion Discussion

I kind of wonder why Apple nor Microsoft have implemented tabs in their file/folder managers.

I have no idea, but they really need to. Tabs work with web browsers and they can work with file managers, too.

I used to think that something like ForkLift or Path Finder would work well as a total Finder replacement, but now I realize those are probably far more complicated than they need to be. That's why I like TotalFinder... It's a really good compromise between some really nice extra Finder functionality, but it integrates into the native app without going overboard.

So instead of offering anything innovative and revolutionary, they backported phone crap. Damn, I was seriously considering a Mac for the first time too. Thanks anyway.

Apple decided to leave cmd + X out of the Finder because it could be potentially be destructive if a user were to accidentally hit it and then do something else. So it's not left out just for the sake of being different than Windows.

I missed cmd + X for about a week when I switched to Mac OS X and then got over it. At this point I can't say I even miss not having it. Dragging and dropping works perfectly fine for me, especially because folders, stacks and windows are spring-loaded. A feature Windows lacks.

Spring loaded?

EDIT:

(Just searched for a video clip of it. Very nice.)

------------

I was watching the clip about Mission control, and I had to laugh a bit at how the guy struggled with the gestures, all while trying to emphasize how, easy and intuitive it was. I'm thinking the problem lies with the small touch surface of the magic mouse he was using. The larger touchpad seems better suited to those big gestures that now seem to use the entire hand.

one thing that still baffles me is the new launchpad. I want to see more of this in use, because to me it seems redundant to have apps on the dock and on launchpad

It's a faster way to the "Applications" folder. It seems kinda silly, but it could be handy. Especially with folders integrated.

Apple decided to leave cmd + X out of the Finder because it could be potentially be destructive if a user were to accidentally hit it and then do something else. So it's not left out just for the sake of being different than Windows.

I missed cmd + X for about a week when I switched to Mac OS X and then got over it. At this point I can't say I even miss not having it. Dragging and dropping works perfectly fine for me, especially because folders, stacks and windows are spring-loaded. A feature Windows lacks.

You joking right ? You don't know how cut/paste works do you? :D

In my past use of Windows for 10 years or more, I never had destruction of data.

In windows, if you cut a file, it is deleted only after its completely copied over at the other destination. If you cut a file and start doing something else, it doesnt get deleted. It stays in its place and cut command is cancelled if you initiate any other file transfer. In short its perfectly safe.

Most MAC users don't miss it because they don't know how useful that feature is. :)

After 3 years of using OS X exclusively, I honestly don't miss cut and paste.

Honestly? I do.

Actually, the only things I would do in the Finder are Cut & Paste. File Dragging isn?t that good in the Finder, it?s very easy to choose a wrong folder.

Windows doesn't have spring-loaded folders but it does have a tree hierarchy in the Explorer sidebar that lets you drill down to a specific location in much the same way. Both methods of operation essentially accomplish the same thing.

Most MAC Mac users don't miss it because they don't know how useful that feature is. :)

I used Windows for 10 years before I started using OS X. I don't miss cut and paste.

Finder is a totally inadequate file manager. The first thing I install on a fresh install of OS X is PathFinder.

Have you tried TotalFinder? It's an extension that brings a lot of nice things to Finder.

I used Windows for 10 years before I started using OS X. I don't miss cut and paste.

It really depends on what you're doing. There are times when it would be very nice to have and then there are other times where you can accomplish the same thing by clicking and dragging. I just don't like that Mac OS X has a "Cut" option in the Finder menu yet it's always grayed out. If they don't want us to Cut, then don't have that option there, period.

Have you tried TotalFinder? It's an extension that brings a lot of nice things to Finder.

An improvement over Finder for sure. But still doesn't match PathFinder.

Windows doesn't have spring-loaded folders but it does have a tree hierarchy in the Explorer sidebar that lets you drill down to a specific location in much the same way. Both methods of operation essentially accomplish the same thing.

As does OS X. That is pretty much the extent of my drag and drop.

icn2.hierachy.png

But there is no harm for Apple to put that feature in future versions of OSX for us MAC users :D

With Mac OS X I'm not confined to the Finder sidebar. Pretty much all windows, folders, files and stacks are spring-loaded. Doesn't matter if they're in the Dock, on the Desktop, in a Finder window, in the Finder sidebar, in Exposé etc.

I just don't like that Mac OS X has a "Cut" option in the Finder menu yet it's always grayed out. If they don't want us to Cut, then don't have that option there, period.

You realize you can still cut text in the Finder, that's why it's there...

I was watching the clip about Mission control, and I had to laugh a bit at how the guy struggled with the gestures, all while trying to emphasize how, easy and intuitive it was. I'm thinking the problem lies with the small touch surface of the magic mouse he was using. The larger touchpad seems better suited to those big gestures that now seem to use the entire hand.

Yeah that did look painful. Hopefully it's because Lion is still in beta and things don't really respond that well yet. That said, I'm using a Magic Trackpad myself so no problem here. :p

You joking right ? You don't know how cut/paste works do you? :D

In my past use of Windows for 10 years or more, I never had destruction of data.

In windows, if you cut a file, it is deleted only after its completely copied over at the other destination. If you cut a file and start doing something else, it doesnt get deleted. It stays in its place and cut command is cancelled if you initiate any other file transfer. In short its perfectly safe.

I was stating Apple's reason for intentionally leaving out "Cut" in the Finder, not my own personal opinion about the feature. Reading helps...

In my personal opinion Apple could implement a safety measure preventing destructive cutting, similar to what you see in Windows today. I have nothing against Apple implementing "cut" in the Finder, but I don't miss it either. Therefore it's not a big deal to me.

Most Mac users don't miss it because they don't know how useful that feature is. :)

I've been using a PC running Windows for quite some time now, and I simply don't miss it on Mac OS X because of spring-loaded items. Mac OS always had a tradition of being more drag-'n'-drop oriented than Windows.

But it?s such a small feature that it?s ridiculous they don?t have it at this point.

I it patented by Microsoft? laugh.gif

There?s a Cut option in the Edit menu of the Finder, and I?ve never seen activated at all. Why is it there? Hell, I can?t enter the rename mode of the Finder and cut a part of the name of a file and paste it somewhere else. They have to make a decision on this : remove it or make it functional.

There’s a Cut option in the Edit menu of the Finder, and I’ve never seen activated at all. Why is it there? Hell, I can’t enter the rename mode of the Finder and cut a part of the name of a file and paste it somewhere else. They have to make a decision on this : remove it or make it functional.

I just explained why it's there...

screenshot20101026at132.png

Coming from Windows I didn't really notice at first about the lack of 'cut and paste' but after a few months of constant use I did come across a point when I would have liked to have it implemented.

Since then if I work with files I do things from the command line, silly I know but I like to keep fresh with my sudo 'unix/linux' terminals for server tasks. So I've rarely come to miss it at all now.

obviously not everyone is going to resort to the terminal for maintenance commands or for simple day to day tasks that the GUI should be able to fulfill, but for me I'm good. I would have to agree with some of the other posters in questions just why they haven't added such a feature.

The only other thing Apple does that I question at times is the duplication of files within applications. For instance, iPhoto creating it's own internal database outside of files that you have already applied essentially doubling the allocated space needed [at least I think it does, haven't really checked, but I'd assume so]. I suppose this has both beneficial and resource wasteful attributes, but it was just something I found odd.