Apple Prices

Have you not looked around? They do.

Corsair 800D one of the best cases around. Has 4 exhaust fans and no intake fans. :laugh: You are seriously out of touch. I get annoyed when hacks proclaim x y and z when they really have no good experience. I'm a professional builder with a custom water cooled system. I've built more machines that I can remember using the lowest end hardware to the highest end hardware including the latest products on the market today. I know what I'm talking about and you obviously do not.

http://www.corsair.com/products/800d/default.aspx

it has no intake fan you say? try again.

http://www.corsair.c...0d/default.aspx

it has no intake fan you say? try again.

You seem unable to read.

Quote corsair: The power supply compartment has its own dedicated intake and exhaust, also isolated from the main compartment.

Yes the Power Supply compartment at the bottom which is completely sealed off from the motherboard area which houses everything else. And the case does not have an intake fan. It has holes cut for the PSU's built in fan to receive air. That is all.

Here is a picture of the Corsair 800D. I wonder if you can find the Intake fan here:

800dgallery5.jpg

There is so much wrong with everything you said here, I really don't know where to begin with tearing it apart.

Firstly, let's assess your remarks regarding "as if macs can get to that high of hardware utilization". The Steam platform is available on the Mac and is accelerating at a reasonable pace in terms of available content, so they can game... Also let us not forget pro tools available on OS X such as Final Cut, Maya, Shake, Nuke as well as Xtools for software dev. Are you trying to tell me that these tools, which are all multi threaded, do not push the system into the realms of stress? If so, please exit stage left using the logout button.

Secondly, tools are befitting the budget and scale of the project. Please do not condescend to those who have lower specced machines than those in your fantasy world and profess that they are not designers, or engineers because their paper performance doesn't match yours. They are tools and acheive the same end goal.

Your argument of form over function is flawed also... Explain to me what function a Dell, HP or Asus laptop achieves in it's form that the Apple machines do not? They don't. They are all on par, the only real difference is cost and that is a personal choice.

why do games run far worse on the same hardware in osx as they do on the very same machine in windows?

encoding videos on my windows machine does not raise temps on the cpu, why would it in OSX which is known to fully optimize multi core CPUs?

engineers running a mac? for what? the only AUTOcad program for OSX is still in beta. and no engineer is going to use a beta program for his end product simply to use a mac when the windows version has years of stability behind it.

those brands you mentioned sometime4s have great forms imho, but it's not the number one thing about those brands that makes them special to their users. asus in particular is very high quality and sells a variety of form factors that are similar but for a very high discount against apple products. like the imac deisgn but it's not in your budget? asus sells something similar with touchscreen built in for about $300.

You seem unable to read.

Quote corsair: The power supply compartment has its own dedicated intake and exhaust, also isolated from the main compartment.

Yes the Power Supply compartment at the bottom which is completely sealed off from the motherboard area which houses everything else. And the case does not have an intake fan. It has holes cut for the PSU's built in fan to receive air. That is all.

Here is a picture of the Corsair 800D. I wonder if you can find the Intake fan here:

800dgallery5.jpg

dust-filtered 140mm fan draws in cold air at the bottom of the case and exhausts it at the rear and top. This clever design forces fresh air directly over the graphics card and CPU. The SATA hot-swap bays are cooled by a separate 140mm fan which vents from the case via a sealed chamber and prevents the heat generated by the drives from entering the main compartment. The power supply compartment has its own dedicated intake and exhaust, also isolated from the main compartment.

from the link iprovided. an intake fan. not on the front. but an intake fan.

Yes of course 1 intake at the bottom for the PSU vs 4 exhausts. This is creating negative air pressure inside the case 4 exhaust vs 1 intake.

Look the Mac Pro has great airflow. You don't own one so you will never know.

just keep drinking the apple koolaid.

My system:

Core i7 940 @ 4GHz, Dual GTX 480's, Water cooled. 12GB OCZ Memory, P6T6 ASUS Motherboard, Dual 30" Dell Monitors. Operating System: Windows 7

My server:

Core i7 920, Dual 2320 RAID Cards, 24GB Mushkin Memory, UD5 Gigabyte Motherboard. Operating System: Windows Server 2008 R2

If anything I'm a Microsoft user. But even I can see through bull****.

you forgot to list your cases and PSUs.

Corsair 1000Watt in my Server (I got this from an RMA after my first one broke so I stuck it in the server vs buying a lower wattage unit for it)

in my desktop I have a Cooler Master 1000Watt (Real Power model) My Server case is a Cooler Master 590 Centurion and my desktop case is a PC-X2000 by Lian Li with 3 front fans as exhaust and back fan as intake.

Not quite correct. The $30 Snow Leopard retail disc is only (by the license agreement) an upgrade disc. You are required (by the EULA) to have Leopard installed in order to use it. If you want to compare costs to the OEM copy of Windows that typically would be installed on a PC, you need to compare it to the Snow Leopard Box Set that includes iLife and iWork and sells for $129 (as that is what is installed on a new Mac when you buy it).

There's nothing preventing you from installing the Mac OS X Snow Leopard retail disc on a Mac running Tiger. Next to that EU customer law already pulled apart Apple's EULA because there's nothing on the box describing the upgrade paths: ie the box doesn't say it's only meant for Leopard machines.

Corsair 1000Watt in my Server (I got this from an RMA after my first one broke so I stuck it in the server vs buying a lower wattage unit for it)

in my desktop I have a Cooler Master 1000Watt (Real Power model) My Server case is a Cooler Master 590 Centurion and my desktop case is a PC-X2000 by Lian Li with 3 front fans as exhaust and back fan as intake.

so why vigorously defend apple junk?

you've obviously spent the premiums on your parts for your purposes. is apple too expensive or not cost effective for you? what reason do you have for not going apple if it so worth the premiums?

if apple is so much better why not go with apple? if apple is not worth your money then why defend it so vigorously if i had stepped on your pride by calling it junk?

PS i think their mobile devices are junk too. shiny for sure, but i've had more effective mp3 players i can use inside my pocket than any ipod and i'm not a smartphone kind of guy but if i were i would probably go with a blackberry for functionality reasons over fluff like apps and touch screens.

and if you have a WCed system you either care about temps or sound a great deal, and are willing to pay the premium for a decent to good set up.

just top feeding the troll

How come no one have mentioned all the crapware you get on any OEM PC? That cut's the prices quite some for you and there is none of that crap on a Mac.

True. Plus you get iLife with OS X, which no one seems to factor into the cost.

plus you get wlm with windows, which no one seems to factor into the cost.

Considering I don't even know what that is, that might be part of why. Last I checked, the Windows Live programs were terrible.

True. Plus you get iLife with OS X, which no one seems to factor into the cost.

True, most people here have only said the 30$ price for OS X which is the upgrade price while a few have mentioned the more expensive with iLife included

plus you get wlm with windows, which no one seems to factor into the cost.

Considering I don't even know what that is, that might be part of why. Last I checked, the Windows Live programs were terrible.

I wouldn't say the Live software is terrible, its quite good... But it's not included with Windows if it is it's your OEM who installed it, normally there is just a link to download Windows Live Essentials, also the WLE pack is free to begin with...

True, most people here have only said the 30$ price for OS X which is the upgrade price while a few have mentioned the more expensive with iLife included

I wouldn't say the Live software is terrible, its quite good... But it's not included with Windows if it is it's your OEM who installed it, normally there is just a link to download Windows Live Essentials, also the WLE pack is free to begin with...

correction: it free to download for windows users. when you use wlm messenger for the first time you are asked if and what parts you want to download. but it doesn't work on any other OS, so essentially it comes with windows.

so why vigorously defend apple junk?

you've obviously spent the premiums on your parts for your purposes. is apple too expensive or not cost effective for you? what reason do you have for not going apple if it so worth the premiums?

if apple is so much better why not go with apple? if apple is not worth your money then why defend it so vigorously if i had stepped on your pride by calling it junk?

PS i think their mobile devices are junk too. shiny for sure, but i've had more effective mp3 players i can use inside my pocket than any ipod and i'm not a smartphone kind of guy but if i were i would probably go with a blackberry for functionality reasons over fluff like apps and touch screens.

and if you have a WCed system you either care about temps or sound a great deal, and are willing to pay the premium for a decent to good set up.

I imagine he didn't buy a Mac because it didn't suit what he wanted or needed. Maybe he wanted to build his own machine to his exact specifications. Not everyone wants to, so not everyone does.

It's a choice. It really is as simple as that. I'm a MacBook Air user, and I don't look down my nose at people who use a PC. I don't see why you insist on doing so to Mac users.

correction: it free to download for windows users. when you use wlm messenger for the first time you are asked if and what parts you want to download. but it doesn't work on any other OS, so essentially it comes with windows.

So basically your saying that Adium comes free with OS X? It's a free software that can only be downloaded on OS X...

Does Microsoft Security Essentials come free with Windows as it's a free download that can only run on a windows system?

So basically your saying that Adium comes free with OS X? It's a free software that can only be downloaded on OS X...

Does Microsoft Security Essentials come free with Windows as it's a free download that can only run on a windows system?

/facepalm

yea you facepalm, exactly what i did when i read your comment... That is essentially what you said.

"but it doesn't work on any other OS, so essentially it comes with windows."