Introducing the Member badge

This is really driving me nuts. I keep thinking I'm seeing posts by MVC's. What was the reason behind every member being called a member with a member badge? What was wrong with how it was before? Before the only regular members who had a badge were people who gave neowin money. This kind of feels like, change for the sake of change.

This is really driving me nuts. I keep thinking I'm seeing posts by MVC's. What was the reason behind every member being called a member with a member badge? What was wrong with how it was before? Before the only regular members who had a badge were people who gave neowin money. This kind of feels like, change for the sake of change.

It has only been a few days. It's likely you'll get used to it. I've already got used to it.

Tim's updated the background and I've uploaded it to imgftw. Vets can now get the updated signature by visiting the signature changing page in the usercp.

Thanks for the information :)

The Veteran badge and signature make a great combination now, although I'm not sure the purple image goes well with them (as much as I loved it with the previous previous images).

I see the group text has disappeared.

It's looking good :)

It has only been a few days. It's likely you'll get used to it. I've already got used to it.

I agree. I'm used to it by now but I still don't think it should be there.

Take it how you will but I'm sure the vast majority will agree. The member badge should go, just looks silly.

Can't say that I do. I've seen more than enough misinformed posts from forum members that carry a special badge. Regardless, you can still skim through posts quickly since most of the special badges carry a bright color, so honestly, I don't see the issue.

As BGM, I'm also finding it pretty arrogant to act as if special badged-members are one of the few to make positive contributions to the forum. Knowing how you feel about regular members I won't be tempted to contribute to your new website.

The fact that people regard posts with a "special badge" higher than those without says it all really, now the whole membership has an element of equality.

People forget that MVC's have been promoted straight out of the member group as well, judging by some of the posts here it seems some people skimmed right over the most helpful/thoughtful posts!

who do i see to go and have this badge attached to my member......do you use screws, nuts(no pun intended) and bolts. hot glue....do you cauterize it. is the procedure bloody.. i am trying to find the least painful option........ is there a recovery time. how soon after this procedure can i use my member.

who do i see to go and have this badge attached to my member......do you use screws, nuts(no pun intended) and bolts. hot glue....do you cauterize it. is the procedure bloody.. i am trying to find the least painful option........ is there a recovery time. how soon after this procedure can i use my member.

rofl :p

I think the new badges look smart and make the whole place look tidier and more professional. I am confused by the complaints, it just looks like the usual excuse to whine about anything to be honest.

Unless you are colourblind AND illiterate I can't see how it would make it harder to tell the different member groups apart.

Further, while we do have our distinguished groups for members and staff I don't think this means we should tread on regular members and act as if they don't have important contributions to make. Whatever badge you have now you will have started out as a regular member. Every member who makes a good contribution is valued regardless of their badge.

[snip]

Further, while we do have our distinguished groups for members and staff I don't think this means we should tread on regular members and act as if they don't have important contributions to make. Whatever badge you have now you will have started out as a regular member. Every member who makes a good contribution is valued regardless of their badge.

I couldn't agree more... I think the new badges bring everything into balance, meaning that regular members no longer look out of place, if anything it makes the members more prominent...

Can't say I like the change at all. I used to like skimming forum threads to see replies from badged members as (no offence) they're usually better quality/importance.

I've just lost a bit of respect for you Tom mad.gif

Can't say I like the change at all. I used to like skimming forum threads to see replies from badged members as (no offence) they're usually better quality/importance.

Oh look at me, I've got a badge, that makes my posts 10x better than those without. I am oh so knowledgeable because I've got a .png under my name!!!

:rolleyes:

Oh look at me, I've got a badge, that makes my posts 10x better than those without. I am oh so knowledgeable because I've got a .png under my name!!!

:rolleyes:

you just validated his point..

but on an even more serious note, Tom is not really endearing himself to people much here :rofl:

For those with adblock just simply adblock the badge PNG. That's what I've done, phew :)

OMG!! Awesome!! Worked great, Thanks Tom!

What if MVCs had a perk where they could recolor their badge using a PSD, kind of like the signature PSD? Just throwing it out there.

It would be inconsistent.

What if MVCs had a perk where they could recolor their badge using a PSD, kind of like the signature PSD? Just throwing it out there.

The signature PSD is available to everyone. You can make whatever colour you want, aslong as it isn't a staff colour.

You can also download the badge, just use Stylish or something to change it :p