ARG! Upcoming New Macbook Pro Refresh

134 members have voted

1. 1. Planning on getting a new MBP?

• Yes, 13".
    • Yes, 15".
    • Yes, 17".
    • No.

Um yes they will. Anandtech has benchmarks showing it to be 5-10% faster.

well , the sandy bridge graphic was tested using the core i7 vs the core 2duo + geforce 320M. So we dont really know yet..

Still rocking my unibody MacBook from 2008. Working fine, but it's starting to feel a bit slow. Will be sure to check out the new 13'' MBP... If it's considerably faster and has a higher resolution, I might consider selling my current one.

Still rocking my unibody MacBook from 2008. Working fine, but it's starting to feel a bit slow. Will be sure to check out the new 13'' MBP... If it's considerably faster and has a higher resolution, I might consider selling my current one.

Same here, I have the aluminum unibody (the one that didn't come with a backlit keyboard :pinch:). I don't mind the processor so much, but higher resolution and a better GPU would be really nice. Also more battery life, although the current gen's battery life is pretty good.

i am stupidly excited about thursday...

and i don't really like macs all that much :p

I was one of those kids that grew up on macs (IIGS) at school but was forced to use Windows when my parents bought their first computer years later. Back in 2001 I tried so hard to convince myself to purchase a Mac for my birthday but I got swayed by the specs on PC and I just ended up delaying it until Apple could shoehorn a G5 into a powerbook (never happened lol). Long story short I came to the conclusion that specs are useless unless you have a productive purpose to use the machine for. Upgrading a PC from my perspective was really a wasted expectation but thats me.

I was one of those kids that grew up on macs (IIGS) at school but was forced to use Windows when my parents bought their first computer years later. Back in 2001 I tried so hard to convince myself to purchase a Mac for my birthday but I got swayed by the specs on PC and I just ended up delaying it until Apple could shoehorn a G5 into a powerbook (never happened lol). Long story short I came to the conclusion that specs are useless unless you have a productive purpose to use the machine for. Upgrading a PC from my perspective was really a wasted expectation but thats me.

fully down with this, machines stopped becoming one-up man ship long ago for me..

even though i use computers for work now, and want them to well.. erm just work.. after years with boring IBM/Lenovo things, i fancy a bit of bling on my desk :D

fully down with this, machines stopped becoming one-up man ship long ago for me..

even though i use computers for work now, and want them to well.. erm just work.. after years with boring IBM/Lenovo things, i fancy a bit of bling on my desk :D

right, not a smack at Windows but I know everything about it and its a bit "boring" even though its intended at Managing programs and thats what OS(s) do. I tried Linux but at the time I needed a machine for school work and I'd always have to reformat and go back to Windows when I had troubles getting something essential to work.

I'm sorta going to run off on a tangent here:

The price argument doesn't work with me anymore because I've seen the quality of buying pre-made machines(exception: Thinkpad)(I custom build personally, sort of tired of it because I run into hdd rattling noises and cable management)

My arguments cannot be applied to other users unless they felt similar experiences and I think thats where fanboys differ from actual experience. I'm spending money on something nice, different and contemporary and that really fascinates me.

will i be lynched for saying OSX will be off my mac the day i get it? :o

sorry!! :pinch:

focus on your needs not on people's/society's expectations. Its not like The Rock told you "This is the people's Mac.." :laugh:

Rock3.jpg

There?s new rumors guys :

- MacBook Pros would have both an SSD and a Hard drive in them. OS X would be stocked on the SSD (8GB or 16GB, most likely the latter) and the Hard drive would stock the rest. This could be the explanation why it would have instant boot / wake up.

- About the Liquid Metal thing, this is very possible for the Unibody, because this would explain how they can go from 2.4kg for the 13" down to 1.6kg. It?s apparently much more resistant, even if it?s lighter.

- The trackpads could be even bigger

- MacBook Pros would have both an SSD and a Hard drive in them. OS X would be stocked on the SSD (8GB or 16GB, most likely the latter) and the Hard drive would stock the rest. This could be the explanation why it would have instant boot / wake up.

- About the Liquid Metal thing, this is very possible for the Unibody, because this would explain how they can go from 2.4kg for the 13" down to 1.6kg. It?s apparently much more resistant, even if it?s lighter.

- The trackpads could be even bigger

the SSD could be embedded on the logic board which would make sense and contribute to a lighter notebook.

What do you think about the liquid metal and the black color scheme on Intel's pic, does it add up?

Makes me wonder if they'll add a feature to Mac OS X to make moving the Home folder more user-friendly.

I really hope they don't make the trackpad any bigger, if it was taller the keyboard would be even further back it would be uncomfortable to type on in bed and if it was wider your palms would probably hit it while typing. Shame they might be skimping on the SSD too.

Higher resolution and lighter would be good though.

the SSD could be embedded on the logic board which would make sense and contribute to a lighter notebook.

What do you think about the liquid metal and the black color scheme on Intel's pic, does it add up?

Yeah, even my source mentioned something about this picture. It really did look like a Mac. But they said it was probably just a generic, photoshop drawn laptop, hugely inspired by Apple’s designs.

My source is MacPlus by the way, awesome French website when it comes to Mac news. Not very objective, a bit like HardMac / Macbidouille, but this is actually one of the things I like about them.

Makes me wonder if they'll add a feature to Mac OS X to make moving the Home folder more user-friendly.

It would be about time. Do people really use these folders? I guess if you want privacy, you would, but if you’re the only one using the computer, you would create directories on the root of your Hard drive :

Downloads, Music, Videos, Documents, ...

Oh, a new rumor says that they could possibly include Light Peak connectors, but this one is unlikely.

I have never seen so many rumors and speculations about MacBook Pros ever on this site, but this time they’re at it or sure.

Is liquid metal supposed to be good at resisting scratches and fingerprints? It's one of the reasons I like the anodized aluminum.

Everyone I know, including myself. I have no idea why I wouldn't use them...

Well I never liked a sub-sub-sub-folder with billions of things in it. For me, a sub-sub-sub folder should have 1-50 items, max.

I just keep everything public, but I have to do this manually. If only OS X allowed that with a simple checkbox in System Preferences...

Anyways, not a big deal, and out of topic :p

From what I have read about Liquid Metal, its mechanical properties are way beyond those of anodized aluminum. Also, there’s a video on the page before that says it allows better elastic distortion, so it should resist to scratches 2-3 times more than anodized aluminum according to their chart.

Source : http://www.liquidmetal.com/technology/

Sounds cool. But I know that Apple likes to make their anodized aluminum polished and pretty, can liquid metal also have the same aesthetic qualities? I know some notebooks use carbon fiber, which is great, but it tends to be a bit bland-looking.

All sounding good so far if the rumours turn out to be true. Also if the machine on the Intel ad is the right one, wow, it certainly looks amazing from what little you can see!

I won't be rushing out and buying one right away... however I will treat myself to one when I start my job that I've managed to get before I've even graduated from University :D (Graduate Engineer, for anyone interested heh).

Hmm. You know one thing that'll take some time to get used to is the click-tapping. Are you able to click on stuff by just touch tapping, or do you actually have to click down the whole touchpad? I know they have the whole magic mouse thing going rather than the convential "mouse space + dedicated buttons" setup.

Hmm. You know one thing that'll take some time to get used to is the click-tapping. Are you able to click on stuff by just touch tapping, or do you actually have to click down the whole touchpad? I know they have the whole magic mouse thing going rather than the convential "mouse space + dedicated buttons" setup.

On the current MBPs you can touch tap to click on stuff. I always found it was a bit noisy to click down the whole touchpad when in a quiet place.

I have a friend with a macbook air which is very "convenient" to use (which is why I am waiting for the 13" macbook pro) and yes!! you can change options to make the touch CLICK on the glass trackpad.